“Not too bad”

Grand Victorian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I saw some bad reviews of this place but had to book as it was the only place available for less than £100 as it was Goodwood Festival of Speed weekend.

The hotel is alright and not as bad as a lot of the reviews below seem to indicate. It is above a pub and across from the railway station so there is some noise but if this is likely to be an issue, wear earplugs. If you are a very light sleeper, why are you even considering room above a pub!

The room could do with a full redecorate too but I've seen worse. It was also reasonably clean, the cleaners could do with learning to go behind things like the TV but again I've seen worse. The bed linen was clean and although not the best mattress I've slept on it was comfy enough to provide me with a good night sleep.
The staff were polite and helpful and the breakfast the next day was good, self service fry-up with cereal and breads/toast available too.
I paid over £80 for this room which on a normal day would be too much but I assume this place is usually around £50 which is fine for what it is, a budget seaside hotel.

I would have given this hotel 3.5 but as I can't I have been generous and give it 4 to counteract some of the reviews that seem quite unfair.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 June 2013

We have not stayed at the hotel but have had some lovely meals in the bar when in Worthing, very handy for the railway station.
The staff always make us all feel welcome, it is great that the children are allowed here. The food is amazing, restaurant quality, reasonably priced, hope the chef stays !!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Thank R.Dann
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel offers a great location for the station and a10 minutes walk from the sea front. Staff very polite and friendly, beautiful bar a step back to the old days very quirky. Glad we chose this as we used the train to see different places around super stay

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

booked 8 months in advance two rooms fours girls .
got there parked for free nearby
was not too happy we had rooms on different floors .
we paid £30 each and rooms were adequate for that price .
normal bar with good choice drinks
nice smoking area outside
opposite station
I would stay here again as including £40 cab home it worked out alot cheaper than many hotels in Brighton but the travel lodge on the pier is right in the thick of the clubs next to the biggest club oceana and if u book that well in advance its only £20 each so much better for clubbing night out .

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Arrived,could not get in so went through bar and was told I could park in their car park. That was filthy, litter everywhere, probably a few rats but did the job. Went back into bar, male regulars made some comments they were ignored by me, then let into hotel, went into room which I quickly realised was a dumping ground for all furniture they have no use for!! Cracked bathroom tiles and room and bathroom only cleaned where it showed. Really dirty.
If I hadn't paid up front for three nights I wouldn't have even bothered parking the car.
Went to breakfast next day, chef/owner? was friendly but not clean, dirty clothes and long hair. Not surprised. Food ok but the bread tasted really peculiar and it was very cheap produce.
Had unfortunately paid for a three night stay and on last night (friday) came back at ten pm to noise so loud our room just shook, Rang down to the bar to ask how long the music was going on for and the comment 'you shouldn't have stayed in a pub then' was given and that was from the manager/chef/owner!! Disgusting.
Was also told not to swear which I didn't as that is just really bad etiquette when arguing with someone. The music was turned down a notch and so left the next morning without bothering with breakfast, just wanted to get out of there. What a disgrace and never again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2013

My wife and I decided that after the long wet winter we needed a short break to cheer ourselves up,hence we treated ourselves to a three nights stay at the 'Grand Victorian Hotel' in Worthing, West Sussex during April as it seemed to fulfil our requirements regarding location and facilities offered, so we duly booked ourselves a room online beforehand using the 'Expedia' website, primarily because 'Expedia' whilst not being cheaper than alternative online booking sites were however offering 200 'Nectar Points' to hotel guests making bookings through their website,and a three night stay for the two of us at the 'Grand Victorian Hotel' on a bed and breakfast basis cost us £162 (£54 per night) which turned out to be a fair price to pay in this day and age for the standard of service which we subsequently received at this hotel upon our arrival.

The hotel is conveniently situated just across the road from the town's main railway station from where you can catch direct trains to and from London,Brighton,Portsmouth and Southampton to name but a few of the places served from Worthing station,and local bus services also depart from bus stops just outside the station,so one can appreciate just how well placed this hotel is for getting around the area.
Worthing town centre and seafront are both a short and level ten minute walk away from the hotel passing by the town hall and shops on the way,and buses leave the station every ten minutes for the town centre should you prefer not to walk.

The 'Grand Victorian Hotel' is a lovely old building with many pleasing period features which had a railway theme inside where you'd find many pictures of railway engines and trains on the walls of the public areas and in the bedrooms too,and our room (Number 5) was on the hotel's first floor facing the station,and I was pleasantly surprised and rather relieved to discover that considering the close proximity of the railway line to the hotel the sound of the trains was inaudible,and no noise could be heard from the railway,and as it was so quiet the thought had even crossed my mind at that time that perhaps there was a railway strike taking place - but no! - the trains were running to schedule,and as I've said we never heard a train at all whilst we were in our room. Likewise noise from the street outside was very low key also,and most certainly did not trouble us at all during our stay.

Our twin-bedded room was most satisfactory,and was spacious and the beds were comfortable. The room had its own bathroom, and a hair dryer was provided which my wife found most useful. Constant hot water was on-tap at all times - so top marks here!
A flat screen television was affixed to the wall,and our bedroom was thoughtfully provided with thick curtains to block out the light from the road outside. Our room was clean,and the beds were made and the towels were changed daily,and a courtesy tray was provided in our room so that guests could make themselves tea or coffee whenever they so wished.
Wireless 'wi-fi' is usefully provided within the hotel,so you are able to use your laptops on the premises.

Breakfast times were from 7am to 9am (Mondays to Fridays) and from 8am to 9.30am (at weekends) and breakfast was served self-service buffet style in the hotel's dining room on the ground floor which was adjacent to the bar. A plentiful supply of cereals,fruit juices,scrambled eggs,bacon rashers,sausages,baked beans and tomatos were nicely laid out,and all you needed to do was to select your required items and to toast your own bread in the toaster provided and to eat it! In my opinion the breakfasts provided were very good indeed and they were most satisfactory - so more top marks here!

There was a large bar with a giant television screen showing sporting fixtures,and I recollect that one night darts were being shown which all the drinkers present seemed to be enjoying greatly,and I must confess that until that time I had never realised that darts has such a huge following. There was also an outside beer garden to the rear of the building which no doubt must be a pleasant place to while away some time on a warm summer evening,and an unusual feature inside the hotel near the bar was one of the old red telephone boxes of which you don't see so many nowadays in the streets due to mobile phone usage, I suppose.

The 'Grand Victorian Hotel' offered a 'Credit Crunch Meal Deal' daily,so that once you had bought one dinner,you only paid half price for your second dinner,and my wife and myself ate our dinners each day in the hotel taking advantage of this promotion, and I can honestly say that we ate like royalty each day for less than twenty pounds for the both of us,and the portions were very substantial and filling too. Furthermore the service was good - and most importantly the food was absolutely delicious. There was an extensive three course menu which was changed daily,and non residents could use the hotel's bar and dining facilities as well,so if you're not staying here but are seeking somewhere decent for an evening meal together with drinks in Worthing, I'd unhesitatingly suggest that you forget the local restaurants and visit the 'Grand Victorian Hotel' for your night out instead which I'm sure that you will find much more memorable..

Summing up, I must say that we found 'The Grand Victorian Hotel' to be a very good and reasonably priced hotel,which satisfied our needs admirably and it is well situated and convenient for local amenities and public transport,and it has most helpful and courteous staff in attendance,and it has been a pleasurable experience to have enjoyed a short stay here - and YES!....we'd love to go back and stay there again one day soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger-from-Sussex
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We found the hotel excellent for location the train station is just across the road and the town centre is a ten minute walk away.
the breakfast was really nice and help yourself so even better.

the room was comfortable and clean and we had a corner bath which was an added bonus.
we had an evening meal which was but 1 get 1 half price and it was excellent and great value for money.
there is a nice garden so we will be booking again when the weather is nicer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple