“Disgustingly dirty! Desperately needs cleaning!”

Grand Victorian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

First impression was very poor, there was no one on reception, except for some fish in a dirty tank, so found someone in the bar. Staff member wasn't forthcoming with any information, i had to ask everything. Followed directions to the car park, which is very limited 3/4 spaces maximum, then headed up to my room. Everything in the room is filthy and it smelt terrible. (I will upload photos with description room 7 09.07.2014) The carpet is covered in stains, everything is dusty, the cups haven't been washed, the bathroom is so dirty I have decided not to use it and it's desperately in need of decorating. If this isn't bad enough the bed is disgusting, urine stained divan, not properly made and then I discovered a large poo mark on the bedspread! I can't review the food as there is no way I would eat here. I feel I should find something positive to say but all I can come up with is that there is free wifi and the fire extinguishers were serviced last November! I really wouldn't recommend at all, book somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank slh0383
emma e, Manager at Grand Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. firstly there was a guest staying in the same room the night before a business woman her review good value great service 8/7/14 does not nearly correspond with the comments that you have made, and being as you filled up the bath with water and then put the entire contents of the bed duvet and all in the bath we cannot see any stains as all have been thrown away and replaced with new.
we do agree that the carpet is in need of replacement which is in the process of being authorised.
we do not advertise that we have parking on site as it is limited, also the reception closes at 8pm and there is a notice stating that you will need to go through to the bar.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here on business. As a woman travelling alone some hotel restaurants can be intimidating, not the case here. Not the plushest of rooms but clean and comfortable with a lovely ensuite, lovely old building with many original features. However the standout for me was the service. The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful and I was made to feel really welcome. Room was good value for money (equivalents closer to Brighton were double to triple the price), had tapas in the restaurant, 4 dishes for £12, really tasty and service was excellent. Nothing too much trouble. Car parking is limited but the hotel is across the road from the station so really convenient. Other reviews have mentioned noise from bar and club, have not experienced this myself. Wifi was free, given the code without asking when I checked in and worked well even when using phone, iPad and laptop at the same time. Overall a great budget hotel with fantastic staff and good food. Even the locals were lovely when I arrived, pointing out where to go ( two entrances at the front). When I make a return visit to my client site in the area I would not hesitate to book again. Thanks to all for making my stay a pleasant one

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joolsie666
emma e, Manager at Grand Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

thankyou for your comments its always nice to hear when guests have enjoyed and appreciated their stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here while visiting friends for a night out near by.

It's a lovely pub with hotel rooms above in an impressive looking Victorian building right opposite Worthing station. There was plenty of on road parking available (without restriction after 6pm until 9am), and even though on the first floor facing the station I had absolutely no problem with noise.

If you like superficially pristine and as every other in a chain this isn't the place for you. If you enjoy a clean, spacious, slightly quirky hotel, with fantastic, friendly and welcoming staff then you'll love it!

My room was large, had some original features, was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was limited but what there was good, and quite adequate in choice.

Overall, a friendly, down to earth, honest hotel without pretensions to be something it isn't. I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NigelnTracey
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is opposite the main railway station in Worthing so good for transport links. Although if arriving by road it is also very easy to find even if not using a sat nav. The hotel is an old style railway hotel, but it can be noisy. I stayed three nights: the first night there was a drunk using profanity till midnight, the second night there was a disco which fortunately did finish at midnight, third night bliss no noise. We were warned by the receptionist that there would be a disco and she did make an attempt to change my room to a quieter one but to no avail. Breakfast could have been excellent but at the first breakfast the chef went out earlier than usual so no fried eggs, second one various products ran out and some not replaced, by the third one no issues so good- everything available. Rooms large and old fashioned but carpets stained. each room had a flat screen TV and Wi Fi was available through out the hotel. Staff fortunately friendly but some seemed overworked especially at breakfast time. Easy to walk into town where a cross section of restaurants can be found. There is some parking at the rear of the hotel which is free. The hotel has a restaurant although I did not use it but prices seemed reasonable.

Room Tip: Go for the second floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank anthony h
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had been travelling around the South Coast and Staying in Some dire 3 & 4 star hotels, this was an oasis. I booked in for two nights on June 15th but ended staying the week. Great location, lovely staff, best nights sleep in two weeks, cheapest pub in Worthing, terrific bar staff, World Cup on big screen, cracking locals and very friendly, and from my window hot air balloons gently flying over the downs in the morning finally the best breakfast I have had for years with a home made scrambled egg recipe to put the Americans to shame. What's not to like! This Is a gem of a find, and have already booked my return stay. Nick.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Let me start by saying I have never before taken time to write a bad review, but from the absolute start this hotel was a let down. We were very clear at the time of booking how many adults and children there would be, 4 adults and 3 children, including a one year old and an 83 year old, upon arrival we were bluntly and unapologetically told by the receptionist Emma, that we would be on different floors, with one being on the top floor, the rooms weren't ready for us yet, but we could leave our stuff in the top floor room. So we had to struggle with no lift, a buggy, an OAP and suitcases to the top floor, with no offer to assist in anyway. When we finally got to the 'family suite' it was shocking! the same size as the others just with a broken, dangerous, bad quality sofa bed, so close to the wardrobe we couldn't open it! There were various other things that seem too minor to mention, such as the plug getting stuck in the sink each time you used it, only supplying one toilet roll(no spare), a silly light system that meant you couldn't have the hall light on without the front room main light, and the mirror breaking in the other room. We tried to explain the situation later to the male receptionist, who said he was the manger also and was aware of the sizes of the room and knows they're small, and that there was nothing he could do.
My mum reviewed this hotel when we got back and the response from the hotel was unprofessional and disrespectful to say the least. We most certainly did not leave the room in a state with crisps and nappies everywhere! The rooms were never even that clean in the first place! Our children were most definitely not running around at 7.30am! Although considering breakfast starts at 8 they were up. I would actively discourage anyone thinking of going to Worthing to book in this hotel. The ONLY positive thing about this hotel was the cook who makes and serves breakfast, he was so helpful and happy, his energy is wasted there

Room Tip: Don't book here if you want a good room, unless you're not traveling with children
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Emma R
emma e, Manager at Grand Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

responding to the comments made on this review firstly the rooms were not ready on arrival as the guests were early by two hours for check in which was explained and the rooms were made available as soon as possible there was an explanation about this.
there would be no chance of anyone at this hotel taking a booking for four people in one room as we don't have any 4 person rooms and for fire and safety reasons this is not aloud. which is why 3 rooms were booked in the first place.
all the aspects of the reply to the first review were true.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

On checking in staff were helpful and very polite. The rooms were a little tired decor wise but they were clean, and very affordable for a night away. We were nicely situated, and getting about was easy, taxi ranks & station on your doorstep. To be honest you get what you pay for and this was a good deal, the staff were lovely and the breakfast was good. The check out was very flexible time wise. They also let us park in the car park all day on the second day, whilst went exploring Worthing.

All in all it was good for the cost !!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends