“Great potential but needs a complete room re-vamp”

Grand Victorian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed 11 August 2014

First of all the positives ...

The hotel has a perfect location across road from Worthing station. It is a pub with rooms accessed via a dedicated staircase and reception. A good cooked English breakfast - a hot buffet with choice of cereals - though the breakfast ends quite early weekdays (9am) if you prefer a lie in. Helpful and cheerful staff - when I arrived lady on reception did offer to get my bag carried up two floors if needed, so that was good. Also a smile in the morning for breakfast.

There is limited off street parking available, but you can park on street till 10 or 11 depending on what parking space you get, and can park again from about 4pm onwards.

Entrance and staircase up to rooms look well kept with old style sweeping 'grand' staircase make them easier to climb, though note that there is no lift if you do have problems with stairs.

It is a pub so there was some noise coming from downstairs, but it ended pretty much on the dot at midnight on the Friday I was there. I was on second floor so I didn't hear much with windows shut - no air con though, so would get pretty stuffy if they were left shut all night.

Tea and coffee making facilities available in room, with fairly good free internet signal available. Bed linen and towels were fresh and clean when I entered room so over all so far so good, but from there it kind of goes downhill when I come to the room itself.

When I walked into the room there was a pretty bad smell which I think came from the carpet, which was so badly stained and looked so dirty that I didn't actually want to walk barefoot on it - I put down the bedspread and walked on that instead. The room was cleaned daily so I don't believe the room was unclean, but it was just that the smell never really went so I think it was engrained.

The bed was not comfortable - an old style spring mattress but very lumpy with indents where two bodies have laid over the years and a lump in the middle - so I assume as old as the carpets.

I bumped into one of the cleaners one day and asked about the state of the carpet and whether anything could be done as I didn't feel comfortable walking on it barefoot. She understood what I meant and said that RelaxInnz have final agreed to refit the bedrooms within the next 3 to 6 months, which she was also happy about. However, in the meantime hiring a carpet cleaner would not be that costly and would make the room 100% better.

Bathroom was old but worked fine and seemed clean, so no issues there.

If not for the state of the room I was in (Room 11), I'd have no problem recommending the hotel to people visiting Worthing. Unfortunately the room let the hotel down and, until the promised renovation is completed, I would not recommend it unless you are not worried about the smell and whatever is on that carpet.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TwickersTravel

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

myself and my family came to stay at this hotel on Sunday 27th July.

The place was disgusting! Stains all over the floor, massive red stain all over the side of the bed, we looked in draws and there was something electrical dismantled, in the bathroom the floor tiles were cracked, the toilet roll holder on the other side of the bathroom, when we tried to find a member of staff to tell them we saw no one as everyone was sorting out the flood which has happened, the food was nice, serving breakfast so early for a short period of time is not ideal for some people though, Wall decor pealing off the walls and dust everywhere!

Let's just say we will not be coming back!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank jazz27129
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The only saving grace about this hotel was the manager, who gave us a full refund without any problem.
The two rooms we were offered in this hotel were absolutely filthy. The first room smelt of old sweat. The carpets are stained beyond belief and the cleaning of the rooms I feel must be just a gesture. Thick of dust and grime, both rooms were in a shocking state. We couldn't have stayed and checked out again with a full refund after checking in fifteen minutes previously. Such a shame as the decor of the hotel outside the rooms is in keeping with the age of the building.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank JMR1973
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Expecting a Grand Victorian Hotel, expecting faded grandeur, didn't expect a rather rotten pub, that has rooms.
Perhaps I should have been more reserved in making my reservation - perhaps I should have done my Tripadviser research?
So, rather tired, faded and uninspiring room ... the welcome was warm enough, the breakfast was firmly in the economy range of food-stuffs, and the bar was for locals.
As a hotel, it doesn't work for me ... it is hard to say anything positive or negative - it is what it is.
Nothing intrinsically wrong, not especially right.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel are to be recommended
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 11 July 2014

typical old fashioned railway hotel, way past its best and certainly not grand anymore. Nobody at reception. Room ok but bathroom awful - towel rail collapsed, door squeaked and jammed, dirt black blotches on tiles. Breakfast very basic English, no continental option, no fruit.

Room Tip: no advice - choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

First impression was very poor, there was no one on reception, except for some fish in a dirty tank, so found someone in the bar. Staff member wasn't forthcoming with any information, i had to ask everything. Followed directions to the car park, which is very limited 3/4 spaces maximum, then headed up to my room. Everything in the room is filthy and it smelt terrible. (I will upload photos with description room 7 09.07.2014) The carpet is covered in stains, everything is dusty, the cups haven't been washed, the bathroom is so dirty I have decided not to use it and it's desperately in need of decorating. If this isn't bad enough the bed is disgusting, urine stained divan, not properly made and then I discovered a large poo mark on the bedspread! I can't review the food as there is no way I would eat here. I feel I should find something positive to say but all I can come up with is that there is free wifi and the fire extinguishers were serviced last November! I really wouldn't recommend at all, book somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank slh0383
emma e, Manager at Grand Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. firstly there was a guest staying in the same room the night before a business woman her review good value great service 8/7/14 does not nearly correspond with the comments that you have made, and being as you filled up the bath with water and then put the entire contents of the bed duvet and all in the bath we cannot see any stains as all have been thrown away and replaced with new.
we do agree that the carpet is in need of replacement which is in the process of being authorised.
we do not advertise that we have parking on site as it is limited, also the reception closes at 8pm and there is a notice stating that you will need to go through to the bar.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here on business. As a woman travelling alone some hotel restaurants can be intimidating, not the case here. Not the plushest of rooms but clean and comfortable with a lovely ensuite, lovely old building with many original features. However the standout for me was the service. The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful and I was made to feel really welcome. Room was good value for money (equivalents closer to Brighton were double to triple the price), had tapas in the restaurant, 4 dishes for £12, really tasty and service was excellent. Nothing too much trouble. Car parking is limited but the hotel is across the road from the station so really convenient. Other reviews have mentioned noise from bar and club, have not experienced this myself. Wifi was free, given the code without asking when I checked in and worked well even when using phone, iPad and laptop at the same time. Overall a great budget hotel with fantastic staff and good food. Even the locals were lovely when I arrived, pointing out where to go ( two entrances at the front). When I make a return visit to my client site in the area I would not hesitate to book again. Thanks to all for making my stay a pleasant one

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joolsie666
emma e, Manager at Grand Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

thankyou for your comments its always nice to hear when guests have enjoyed and appreciated their stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.