“Awful!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Just waited 45minutes for overcooked fish and chips,only thing worth rating was the tartare sauce.we were given no apology,just an excuse that the waitress had to go home with two large bags of prawns!!? and that they weren't used to having customers on Mondays.We should have left before we ordered,as first appearances wrrnt good,very shabby and run down,but we were hungry and thought we would give them the benefit of our doubt.Don't make the same mistake.

1  Thank davedogdoodle

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Breakfast was superb, evening meal was from a menu with a good choice, reasonable prices, very tasty, pleasant staff.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

good food nices room good value for money we were staying in the hotel but would eat there if only visting Worthing

Reviewed 21 October 2012

On entering the hotel you will notice that it smells like a nursing home. The whole place is tired, shabby, grubby and dated and reminded us of Fawlty Towers. We were there in a party of 12 for a birthday Sunday lunch. There were three other tables occupied in the shabby restaurant - all by over 70s.
Then there was the food - over priced and absolutely disgusting! The breast of lamb starter would have been more use to a cobbler to stick on the sole of a shoe. The roast dinner looked like a school dinner - the beef was of a dubious cut, some cut thin some in thick wedges and with loads of fat. The Yorkshire puddings oozed grease in your mouth as you ate. The gravy was thin and watery just like school gravy. I only ate two mouthfuls and then left it. The desserts - £6 each!!! The chocolate brulee was a thick chocolate coloured stodge served in a teacup with a dried up looking shortbread on the side.
Service was unwelcoming and not up to much either and we were not given a printed bill, just the charges scribbled on our own list of what everyone was having. And they overcharged us (luckily we checked the scribbles) - £24 too much for desserts we didn't have! Didn't see a receipt either.
The toilets are through a couple of doors, down some steep stairs, along a corridor and round a corner. It smells really damp and musty down there and resembles the place where they dump items of furniture they dont want upstairs. Outside the Ladies is a shabby old glass-fronted display cabinet, inside which there are a few ancient, dusty old sea urchins slung in and a string of last year's Christmas tree lights. When you're down there, you're miles away from anyone and it feels really creepy.
Altogether, I would not recommend this place for eating or anything else. How they get away with charging the prices in the restaurant I do not know and how on earth they manage to get 4 stars is mind-boggling!!!

1  Thank kate w
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My friend and I have been here tonight. We had a drink in the bar first to get the feel of the place and asked to look at the menu, before deciding if we wanted to eat as well. (I had looked at their website but there was no menu on line) Maybe that's something that they could consider for the future as quite ofen when looking for somewhere to eat, I like to see the menu first before deciding if I want to go to that restaurant.

After looking at the menu we decided we were going to stay and at the end of the meal, we felt that we made the right choice.

We both ordered the smoked salmon and prawn salad for starters and my friend asked if she could just have the salmon and prawns without the salad and if she could have a childrens portion of the Hunters Chicken for the main course. I have to say the staff couldnt have been more helpful with her requests.

I had braised beef with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

We were too full up to eat a sweet but next time we go, we have decided to forgo the starter and just have a main course and sweet.

The staff were friendly and helpful throughout and we would definately go back again.
Another plus for us was there was no long wait for the food.