“Stay Away”

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Cleveland
“Stay Away”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

have just returned from a weekend in this hotel , it is old and rooms need T.L.C very badly . although beds were clean and reasonably comfortable . Breakfast was good , evening meal not so good, is set in a very dodgy area while we were there a street fight broke out which spilt over into the hotel this included police vans and cars even an Ambulance and guests making statements , the guy involved brandaging a hammer and knife, the staff in the Hotel were very nice and helpfull , but im afraid we would never stay there again , this was a trip to see Dancing on Ice for a gift from my daughter which was great and made up for the stress caused by events in the Hotel . .never ever recomend this place .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I cannot understand some of the horrendous opinions on here. You get what you pay for. It is clean and has friendly staff. The location is ideal for local town centre and concert venues.
I have stayed here about 5 times and have never felt intimidated despite arriving back after midnight and alone. In fact there is rarely anyone about!!
Rooms are basic and admittedly could do with updating but they are sufficient for an overnight stay. I have never experienced noise from within the hotel.
As for the food, I chose to eat out but only due to time constraints. I have had breakfast here in the past and find it excellent value for money, especially when prepaying at the discounted rate.
I shall definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank draig1964
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here 2 days ago for an overnight stay with a coach tour & my family myself included really enjoyed it. The rooms were basic but comfortable, we couldn't fault the food especially the breakfast & the staff were really friendly & helpful.Reading the reviews before we went put me off the hotel but non of us had any real faults with it.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel might be noisier to light sleepers so choose a room round the back, but you w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melanie K
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is disgusting- avoid at all coats. It's cheap but in hindsight would have paid any amount to avoid the dirty, filthy rooms. We asked to change rooms but that didn't help. Toilets are dirty and the rooms are tiny! Avoid avoid avoid!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rav3082

Travellers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

just got back from a short break here,have been to lots of britannia hotels and wouldn't go here again.Although the staff were very good as was the food the hotel had no atmosphere .No entertainment in the evenings .traffic noise from early morning I know it is a cheap hotel but could be made more cheerful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marilyn020
Shipham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked into this hotel as it was central for a work event, however, I should have done a lot more research. This is a very old hotel in what seems to be a dodgy area. Some very unsavory looking people hanging around outside which made me feel very uncomfortable as I went to check in. No car park available. The room was big, but that was about the only good thing I could say about this hotel. All floor boards creaked and all through the night I could hear people walking up and down the corridor. Traffic was loud outside the old, wooden windows and as it was right beside the bus station you could hear all the announcements all night and early in the morning. I didn't feel safe at all in the hotel and couldn't wait to leave. I didn't stay for breakfast, opting instead for Costa which was across the road! I only found out the next day that there had been a murder there a few weeks ago. I would advise against booking into this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank VC W
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked this hotel to be close (next door) to the Grand Theatre, but I have lived to regret it!
Let me first say that it is very convenient for: central Wolverhampton and theatre and the railway, bus and tram stations.
Having negotiated the very dated and tired reception area, we found our room to be stiflingly hot despite the window being wide open. So why not fix the problem before guests are shown to the room? On the positive side, the room was large.
We paid a D, B&B rate in advance of travelling, but on arrival saw that a 3 course dinner was priced at £9.95, reduced to (I think) £7.95. So our expectations were low, and even they were not met. The food was truly awful - at the bad end of canteen catering.
Throughout our stay there was a diabolical smell in the hotel; I suspect that the hotel might have been closed by the public health authorities if a report to them had been made.
We asked for towels at 5pm; they arrived at 11pm with a knock at the bedroom door, on which was hung a "Do Not Disturb" sign.
Before leaving we sought the opportunity to speak to the duty manager; she didn't see us and hasn't contacted us. So the hotel does not really deserve a right of reply.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room - just don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple