“A special Birthday”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
“A special Birthday”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Sisters ?? Birthday so looked for a deal and 4 of us went to the Mercure Hotel Wolverhampton. We were put into the business centre and rooms were very good. We could not fault any of the staff all first rate, very polite, very helpful and nothing was any trouble. on the Saturday 15th March phoned to see if it was possible for some flowers for my sister in her room, answer was no flower sop attached to hotel, BUT the lady I spoke to went in her own time on the Sunday and got some for me and they were waiting in her room when we arrived.
Only one small complaint? I can't find it now but when I was looking at the hotel I saw in one review, the only complaint they had was John Smiths beer, I will add my complaint to that as well.
It was supposed to be an all in package, but only john smiths and a larger I would not give room in my garage was all that we could get. If we wanted any thing else or different we had to pay extra. First time I have been on a UK al in and been very limited to selection or pay extra. Again no complaints with any thing else at the hotel, a special request for food and it was dealt with and on the plates for both wives the following evening.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David M
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Many thanks for leaving your comments following your stay - although I note your disappointment with the choices of all inclusive beer selection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have just got back from and all inclusive stay this weekend.The room was very clean and very spacious.The radiator in the room would not turn down and it was very hot ..however the staff soon got onto it and sorted it out for us.The staff were very friendly and Faith and Lisa who work there went out of there way to make sure we all had a pleasant stay and a big thankyou to Lisa for helping us give our friend a lovely birthday.Would also like to give the chef our compliments as the food was fantastic and we have come home feeling very stuffed.The only thing that let the hotel down was the leisure facilities The changing rooms had horrible rusty lockers and dirty..around the pool the floor was also very dirty and there was bits of soggy tissue all over the steam room..hopefully the hygiene in the leisure club will improve as it would have completed what could have been a perfect weekend..unfortunately we did not want to go back into the leisure club .Cant wait to go back for another weekend and look foward to seeing Lisa and Faith as they really helped make us feel welcome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank babybubbles74
Many thanks for your feedback following your stay at the hotel
Comments have been passed onto the staff and managers concerned
Uk
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here over the Valentine's weekend. We were given the bridal suite as it was our wedding reception on the Saturday night at the hotel. The room was very clean and spacious, and nothing was to much, or a problem. The staff at the hotel are suberb. They are very attentive and care about your stay. Their was approx 70 of us staying at the hotel on the Saturday night for our reception. All of our guests checked in with ease, and if required given assistance with luggage. On meeting with our party at the bar, we discovered that all was well and everyone was more than satisfied with their choice of room. The only moan was that the changing rooms in the leisure centre could do with a little more attention when cleaning. Remember when booking this hotel. Its a 3 star. If you want the height of luxury. This isn't the hotel for you. The Goldthorn is a very friendly, comfortable and clean hotel. It is an ideal base at good prices. Treat the staff with respect and honesty, and you will get the same treatment back. We had a great time with our family and friends and would not hesitate torrecommended or re book.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank wwfc79
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for you kind comments which have been passed on to the staff
We are glad that you had a great weekend and hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

On arrival the hotel looked to be pleasant enough, this was backed up by the efficient way with which I was handled by the reception and directed to my room.
The room had a good sized double bed along with another single bed, which looked as if a previous guest had used it as a convenient place to put a suit case. It was also obvious that the room had not been vacuumed. It did however have probably the best shower I have ever used in any hotel anywhere, although one of the complimentary shower gels had been used by a previous guest and not replaced.
I had a good meal in the bar, which had a good atmosphere and welcoming staff.
In all I would say it was a good stay which was let down by the hotel's housekeeping.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay - I have passed on your comments to the Housekeeping team and the appropriate action is being taken
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a whole new area for me, no I am not Disabled but my partner broke her foot, and we are both o.a.p.'s did not do well with cruches, so walking frame and wheelchair. I contacted the Hotel and explained that we needed Disabled acommadation, and that we on a All Inclusuve Package and would be spending most of our time at the hotel, with just one planned outing. I was told that yes the Goldthorn was Disabled friendly. This was a long way from being true!!! The only conssesion to being Disabled was a ramp up to Reception and gave access to the bar and dining room. Note the site slopes down at about 20 degree's , check brakes on wheel-chair. We were taken to our room after I had expressed some misgivings regarding the hotel. To get to our room we were taken outside [the rain had stopped] and down the hill around the back of the hotel past the kitchens. We then got to the door into the Hotel again, up I think it was four steps I was then told that they would get some Chef's from the kitchen to help lift thr wheel-chair up the steps. The corridor to the room was tight as was the turn at the end. As to the room well Gothic/Dungen complete with four-post'erbed, I commented all that was missing were the Shackels on the wall. There was very little space for the wheel-chair and the barthroom door was to narrow for the chair to go though. Would we stay one night and they would move us tomorrow. I said no and pointed out that not only was it totaly unusable but if there was a fire in the night we would end up as kipper's. I then said that I had driven up from Cornwall allready today but would do another 30 mile's for the same deal for four nights as agreed.I was told that they would contact me and left us in the room! After about an hour I walked round to reception to find out what was happening. I was told that they were waiting for a phone call and would contact me for 4-45pm we had been at the hotel from 2-30pm, no contact by 5-00pm and was told it would be soon. A little later we had a knock on the door and we had somewere, Chester It is only 71miles away and should only take you one and a half hours to get there. Get the cook's we need to leave the room [ for the last and only time]. We were offered a cup before we left but with a long drive and a small door on the bathroom no thankyou. A short stay and not a happy one and a very poor start to a holiday. We were headed for the Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel which is eight miles to the noth of Chester. So much for another 30 miles would be OK. Read the rest in my next report.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Many thanks for your comments and sorry for the problems encountered - we are not disabled friendly and do not profess to be so I am very keen indeed to find out who told you that we were so that further action can be taken - happy for you to email me on gm@hotels-wolverhampton.com. I note in the booking that we had a comment about your wife's broken foot but not about wheelchair use.

Unfortunately our closest hotel in Telford is listed building and definately not wheelchair friendly and Stafford was fully booked - so Chester is the closest Focus Hotel operating as Mercure.

I can also confirm that our Reception Manager issued you with a full refund prior to your departure for Chester

Once again my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future

Travellers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Goldthorn for two weeks whilst visiting on business.

The first week my room was in the business centre and was large and well appointed with modern fixtures and fittings especially in the bathroom.

Week two however was a different story, the room was in the main hotel and couldn't have been further away from the previous room.

The room was dated and the bathroom suite looked as though it had been there since day one. The towel heater/radiator didn't work which made the room very cold. The amount of filler around the joints/valves indicated that it was beyond repair.

The shower leaked onto the floor which was more like a wet room.

Would I stay again? Not if I could find somewhere nearer my business.

Room Tip: In the business centre