“Awful value for money” 1 of 5 bubbles

Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
“Awful value for money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We arrived and the hotel restaurant was full so couldn't get dinner. The swimming pool and leisure centre were closed due to someone driving into the fire exit and no one had fixed it for some time. With the room I booked a twin but the beds were so close together that we may as well have had a double bed! The bath was full of grease so had to get someone to clean it and finally it was boiling hot and the windows wouldn't stay open! Oh and the main room light didn't work!!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Dancingpink121
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Sincere apologies for the problems encountered during your stay
I will look into this with the relevant heads of department and action taken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

we booked 2 nights Friday and Saturday and only stayed Saturday got to the hotel at 10.25 am asked the reception if id missed breakfast bare in mind we paid for it, she said yes it finished at 10.30 so had to pay out for breakfast, then when I was checking out checked what time breakfast was and it was 11.00 finish. complained to reception what happened day before and am still waiting for someone to contact me about this 3 weeks later. what a poor service and will never use mercure again, and its old and dated

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Craig W
Many thanks for your comments and I apologise for the problems encountered - unfortunately I was unaware of these
If you could me email my on gm@hotels-wolverhampton.com then I will look into this matter and get back to you

Travellers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Good and bad.The hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren with loads of stairs and no lifts so clearly unsuitable for those who struggle to get around.It is by a busy main road so dont expect views of the rolling hillside but it is handy for the football ground (Wolves) and the city.Rooms are adequate without being luxurious.Food was OK without being anything special.The hotel was extremely (uncomfortably) warm but it was an unusually mild day.Staff were all very helpful,attentive and friendly.We booked specifically as it had an indoor pool for our wee one to have a dip but the night before someone had re-created the "Dukes of Hazard" and driven Keith Moon style into the deep end so the pool was out of service.If you are looking for somewhere to stay in this location you could do worse but it isnt somewhere where you would rush to stay for a relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: If you have trouble getting around/have young children etc I would be very specific on your room cho...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay - and sorry about the pool problems.
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I spent 9 nights here in before Easter. My first 24 hours impressions were very poor.
STARTING WITH THE POOR --- I was given a room in the 'business annex'. The access was up 18 steps with no elevator and there was no offer to assist with my luggage. I'm 67 years old and still too macho to ask for help but it should have been offered. The shower was pathetic, it was a shower head at the end of the bath with minimal head-room due to the eaves. The next morning I asked to be moved to a room with a proper shower which was arranged but I had to move my own luggage. Worst was my morning paper had been thrown away though poor communication between staff. Trying to buy a paper late in the day is not always successful.and I needed to drive around the town's stores. There was no fridge or ice machine but an ice bucket was supplied on request, There were several places around the hotel where there were threadbare carpets and badly chipped paint on doors and skirting boards and badly damaged wallpaper including the dining room.. As there was no doorstop, the wall by my room was damaged by the handle..
There were 3 security levels (key, passcode and card) to access most rooms in the annex which is good but this somewhat fails when people were leaving the front door 'on the latch'. One day the bed was made but the waste bin was not emptied.. There was distorted background music in the dining room which was supplied by a pathetic Bush CD player that you can buy in Argos for under 30 pounds. The men's toilets adjacent to the dining room could have trapped anyone with larger than average build. I am average build and I had to manoeuvre around the toilet seat just to close the door. Suggestion, knock the 2 closets into one and it would be the right size.There was brown paper covering the window to the reception. Are they too mean to buy blinds? The service in the dining room on my first night (9th April) was terrible. I waited ages before I was even shown the menu. My fish and chips was probably the worst ever and was an insult to my palate. A waiter of integrity should have spotted this before it was brought to the table. And as for the chef...I hope he is moved on quickly if he produces food like that. The fish looked as if it had been cooked several times and was like a biscuit, and the chips were not a lot better, definitely not fresh. I sent it back and the replacement was OK. Several days later the 'Angus' burger was really a sad reflection on the British inability to create a decent burger. It is not a good sign when you are not asked how you want it cooked, (Message to self - cancel the order if you are not asked how it should be cooked.)
After this long gripe
THE GOOD
Everything was clean. The hotel is on a busy road but the annex was quiet. After the first night the dining room service was good even when it was very busy. Although the food was not the best it was adequate with a reasonable variety. Quantity not quality. I remarked to my waitress that the water she brought to the table tasted odd, as did the tap water in my room. The following evening she went out of her way to make sure that I had bottled water. I believe it was out of her own pocket. Poor show Mercure Hotels if that is the case..

Room Tip: If the weather is bad, even the relatively short walk across the car park from the annex to the rest...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lakewood2
Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor - I have discussed this at length with my management team so that improvements can be made.
Apologies for the inconvenience encountered
Nottingham UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed for two nights, having stayed there several times. A little concerned as some reviews had not been too positive. On check in informed my room would be on the third floor I asked for a lower one .( a dodgy knee and no lift) the receptionist kindly transferred me to the first floor. The manager asked if I would like some help with my luggage which he delivered to my door. The room was a reasonable size but a little tired ready for redecoration. It was very clean so one can overlook the decor. The room was a little warm and i could not get my window to stay open had been a warm day. I ate in the hotel where I was looked after by the most delightful young lady who kept that up during my stay. She constantly checked I had all I required. I think her name was Tracey sorry if I have got it wrong. All the other staff I came into contact with were also very attentive. The public areas were modern and comfortable. Would I stay again despite needing some room upgrading yes I would for a short stay, but the stairs are steep so may have some difficulty if there for a week.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback and giving us the opportunity to make your stay a good one.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

The family room was spacious clean and well equipped , staff were helpfull polite . We were in room 97 it's quiet .breakfast was ok plenty to eat .. They looked after all the wedding party well .. Thank you for that . I would recommend this hotel . Just hurry up and fix the pool door so next time I can have a swim .

Stayed May 2014
Many thanks for your comments after your stay - sorry that the pool was out of use - someone's car rolled into it and we are waiting for their insurance assessor to visit us!