“beautiful hotel, more than expected”
Review of The Mount Hotel

The Mount Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Southport, United Kingdom
“beautiful hotel, more than expected”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

pre booked this hotel from a cheap booking site, for a one night stop off on a long journey north to south. myself and my young daughter. when we arrived we were amazed at the grandeur of inside of the hotel, with a grand staircase and knights in Armour. staff were very friendly and helpful. we could see that they were updating common areas of the hotels to a very high standard. our room more than exceeded our expectations, it was clean and modern. we had tea in the bar, we did have to wait over 45mins for our food, considering we were 2 of 5 guests sat in the bar area, it could of been quicker. but food was lovely when it arrived. we slept well, no noise from other areas of the hotel. a large section of breakfasts are on offer and serving staff were friendly. would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura C
Dear Laura C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review.

I am very pleased to hear that you found the hotel and at first impressions you were impressed by the grandeur of the property.
We are at the moment in some areas undergoing refurbishment and i am glad that you liked what we are doing and i am also pleased to hear that your room exceeded your expectations.
I do however apologise for the slow service you encountered but we are constantly improving on our guests journey and any constructive feedback will only help us improve alongside training.

I look forward to your return.

Carlo Petza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've been staying at the Mount a couple of times a year for the last 10 years or so and seen it through several changes of management and decor. The staff have always been good but are now exceptional, very polite and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The other big improvement is the food, so I'm surprised to see anyone complaining about the buffet breakfast which was perfectly good. The evening meals are especially good and the desserts are a big improvement on before and seem now to be home-made.

Room Tip: Room 46 on the top floor of the old part of the hotel has great views but can get a bit noisy at the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Blinken_Hase,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and also the bespoke feedback on the experiences and changes which have been made during your time at the hotel.

Thank you also for the comments about the staff, service and food which you have seen a vast improvement on your last stay, chef and his team have been since my arrival here at the hotel making everything on site and fresh so that his culinary skills are pasted on to our guests.
The team here at the hotel are fantastic and we constantly listen to both positive and constructive feedback to ever improve our team ethic.

I hope to see on your return.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We had a family occasion to attend and found The Mount Hotel on the internet. We were pleasantly suprised by the hotel as we walked in. It was very elegant and had a novel suit of armour.
The staff were all very friendly, polite and made us feel comfortable .The breakfast was good.
Our room was ok for the price, although the bathroom was looking a little tired.
Overall I would recommend this if you are looking for a value for money place to stay. It served us well.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Em32j,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am also happy to hear that you and your party enjoyed your stay and that the staff were friendly and polite.

We are at the moment undergoing bedroom refurbishment and as you can understand we want to keep this inline with the character of the building plus to also ensure that our guests have minimum disruption during there stay.

i look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I decided to stay at the Mount over the weekend of the 5th April 2014 to visit friends. We have a youngster aged 6 and wanted a large room to accommodate us all comfortably. We were recommended by the booking desk to take the Wulfrun Suite (room 38). It was quite a large room and did offer us enough accommodation but I was very surprised to see that the suite did not have a shower!!! I mentioned this to the desk and they appeared completely uninterested but did say that they would pass the feedback on.

Generally the staff are few and far between, if you wish to use the bar then be prepared to hunt down someone to help, the breakfast is awful and I asked for plain yoghurt and was advised that "they didn't do it anymore as it wore gooin" I think that means that they didn't have much call for it.

Stay there if you get a bargain deal but otherwise stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a shower and try not to have breakfast
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Richardmason
Dear Richardmason,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a response and to send me your constructive feedback.
However i must apologise for the shortfalls in service as this is not the usual standard here at the hotel.
Also regarding your comments on breakfast we stock and provide a vast variety of products to cater for all our guests but as you noted that you did not receive plain yoghurt i have personally made sure that this item is stocked continually.

I do hope to see you in the near future and if you would like to book again please contact me direct and i will personally look after your booking.

Lincolshire
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hotel was in perfect location for our purposes. Room was very clean but on the small side (stubbed foot on chair which partially blocked bathroom door and bumped head on TV which was wall fitted at bottom of bed). Bath was rusty too.The real disappointment was breakfast which was totally in edible. Self service buffet but don't select full English; bacon was rubbery, no choice of eggs, only scrambled, herby sausages horrible (found part of blue plaster in mushrooms) even tomatoes had a strange taste all of the food was stone cold served on cold plates. Only offered one cup of tea. A tablecloth would have been a nice touch. With a TV in our room did we really need one blaring in the dining room as well

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Chardibob
WHMH, General Manager at The Mount Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Chardibob,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a review, I have also read your constructive comments about the breakfast sausages which I have now changed and I have also made it a standard to cloth all the tables in breakfast as well, I am however highly conscious of quality control and myself and the team at the hotel have extremely high food standards as well as service standards and I can assure you that at no point has anyone approached a member of my team regarding the issue that you have raised.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Stevenage
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Travelling from Hertfordshire to attend a family party in Wolverhampton, my wife and I chose The Mount Hotel as our evenings accommodation. Upon arrival, we were overwhelmed by the splendour of the building and its period features.

The staff were incredibly friendly, polite and accommodating, delivering superb service. We would particulary note Elizabeth, who assisted us on a number of occasions, and for whom, it appeared, no request was too great.

Our room was well decorated, modern, warm and very clean, with all necessary facilities. We found a card on the bed stating that Belinda had prepared the room for our stay, which we thought was a very nice touch and that she had done a great job.

We will definitely return to the The Mount Hotel and would highly recommend it to others.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael K
Dear Michael K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was so happy to read about your arrival at the hotel and to recognise the splendour of the building however not only were you overwhelmed by the hotel but also the staff and I will certainly pass your comments onto Elizabeth and Belinda as I do believe that the team here at the hotel make for an amazing bespoke experience.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back,

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Me and my fiancé were told that Saint Patrick's day was very good last year and that the Guinness was the best they had tried outside of Ireland so we just had to go to the Mount hotel to try it out. My fiancé had the Irish Stew and he said it was better than his mammy's! all of our food arrived quickly and tasted lovely. Nothing was too much of a problem for the waiter and waitress who wished us Happy Saint Patrick's and were very cheerful! The flowers on the table were a lovely addition and made it feel very welcoming. The only problem with the entire experience was on our departure I asked one of the receptionists about the up coming events and she looked as if she couldn't care less as I had stopped her from talking to the other girl sat with her, surely didn't need two of them sat there as It wasn't busy. Overall I would rate this hotel a 4 star as it's lovely and the gardens and restaurant is beautiful, definitely coming back again! keep up the work Philip and Amy, really enjoyed eating at the Mount Restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sinead78,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,
I will certainly pass on your thanks to the Head Chef and his team regarding the lovely Irish stew and the quality and delivery of your food in general. I would also like to thank you for mentioning the great service you received from Filip and Amy and I will personally pass these comments on to them as well.
I also apologise for the lack of service that you received on your departure from the hotel and i will pass these comments onto the relevant manager as I strongly believe in the 'Welcome and Departure' experience.

I look forward to your return,

Carlo Petza
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolverhampton
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 21 in Wolverhampton
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to The Mount Hotel? Share your experiences!