“A most enjoyable and relaxing stay”
Review of The Mount Hotel

The Mount Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed on 2nd August for one night. Don't be put off by the external appearance on arrival. I understand the hotel was bought about 2 years or so ago and other than the front, the rest is excellent value for money. OK the rooms may be slightly small but they are well thought through and comfortable. The bathroom is well laid out.

The gardens are pleasant and the new terrace provides a relaxing setting for the enjoyment of excellent bar snacks.

Whilst the building and gardens are pleasant - the function room looked a superb venue for a wedding too - the real stars are the staff and food. Staff are welcoming and friendly, they couldn't have done more to make the stay enjoyable. The food we enjoyed on Saturday night was exceptional. Extremely well presented and tasty too. The only mystery was how local residents have not discovered what is a trulty exceptional restaurant on their door step. Jackie was an excellent host and whilst there was also a wedding on at the same time, the service was informal but efficient.

All round a great stay - we'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
WHMH, General Manager at The Mount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Chris M,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to complete a review.

I am glad to read that you had time to relax and enjoy the surroundings and had enough time to look at our Great Hall which is a place of grandeur.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to highlight the quality of food which you had the pleasure of sampling as head chef and his team cook everything from fresh ingredients so that our guest have the best culinary journey possible and then finished of with excellent service from our main host Jacqui.

I will be gladly passing your comments on to all the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Friday 1st August and we more than happy with it. It was clean and tidy, the room was lovely. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The place is great, the wood panelling etc. in the building gives it a great old style look. The hall where they hold weddings is like a banqueting hall with an upper gallery that befits mediaeval times. Loved it, would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick G

Dear Nick G,

Thank you taking the time to complete a review.

It was a pleasure to read your review on the hotel and the staff.
I am glad that you enjoyed the splendor and the architectural uniqueness of the hotel.

I look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked this hotel through Secret Escapes after having a fabulous weekend through them last year. This year was disappointing. This is a nice clean hotel with good food, however..... The rooms let them down - very much so.
We were in a so called Deluxe room which was clean and tidy but very small for what is described as a deluxe room. Too small to fit in a wardrobe, just an open space with hangers. The worst part was the heat. There was no escape from it. The windows that opened were small and had restricted opening. No air conditioning. When I asked reception for a fan I was told they had no fans, even though we had walked past open rooms with fans! They lied to me. Due to the heat we checked out early and wasted a night's dinner bed & breakfast.
The meal we had was ok.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the nice weather. The rooms are too hot with no relief from the heat
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lorna F,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to complete a review.

I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay this time around and i would like to take this opportunity to apologise.
Due to the none typical British weather we had all our fans out of which we only had a limited stock of, but during this period we have purchased more.
With regards to your deluxe room windows they do open considerably wider however for health and safety reasons they have a safety latch which must be pressed in to open the windows even more, they are highlighted in green for our guests.
However as you had left a day early please feel free and contact myself directly at the hotel and i will arrange a complimentary stay for you and personally look after your reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Firstly, once again, I am stuck because I can't give half marks. I would rate this Hotel at 4.5, but I think it mean of me to drop it to 4, so a 5 it is.

I booked here through Late Rooms and got a very good rate. For what I paid I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel. Much of it looked as if it had been refurbished recently, the entrance hall and reception were quite grand and it felt warm and welcoming.

I was in room 70 which was quiet, with very little noise, despite the hotel being nearly full. It was well appointed, clean and felt much better than most generic hotels I had stayed in. As a light sleeper I am always aware of creaking doors and floors and I had none of this in my room. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom excellent.

The staff were superb. Being very helpful, polite and the service was quick. I didn't eat here in the evening so can't comment on the restaurant I'm afraid, but the breakfast was excellent.

So why did I want to give it 4.5?

Well, firstly I take you back to my comment that I am a light sleeper. Why do hotels make rooms with doors that SLAM shut? Why can't they close slowly and click shut? Oh no, when you release the doors handle they shut so quickly that they make a loud bang, which woke me up early doors as the early risers left.

A really minor thing but one that is quite important, the carpet in the entrance is dirty. Presentation is everything and it's very noticeable.

Lastly, another minor thing, the timer in the bathroom is on a motion sensor and it kept flickering off after about 5 seconds. It would switch on again within a few seconds and not do it again so maybe a fault.

None of those are really major and overall I had a lovely comfortable stay and will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kimbers34

Dear Kimbers34,

Thank you for taking time to complete a review.

It was great to read that you had booked in to the hotel to stay with us and had the opportunity to sample what the hotel can deliver.
I am glad to read also that you identified our uniqueness and that we are not like all the other generic hotels out there.
Thank you for your gracious comments about the staff as they are a wonderful team and it will be my pleasure to pass your comments on to them.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I booked my parents into this hotel for their 50th wedding anniversary and they were treated like royalty. They couldnt praise the staff enough, jackie in the restaurant went out of her way to see to them in the restaurant on both nights, liz in the breakfast room was amazing and the food each evening and at breakfast was outstanding and couldnt be faulted so craig and the team of chefs are to be highly commended! Obviously people who complain have nothing better to do and as such the most recent complainant should be totally ignored as this is an outstanding hotel! My thanks too to the general manager, carlo, who looked after them so well and has really turned the hotel around.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank timotei500

Dear timotei500,

Firstly thank your taking the time out in your busy day to complete a review.

It was a pleasure to read your review and that the staff exceeded your expectations by delivering a bespoke service, this is something we pride ourselves on at the hotel and constantly strive to be the best at what we do.
I will certainly pass your thanks on to the team especially Head Chef Craig and our front of house supervisor Jacqui.
It was a pleasure to have made their day special and i look forward to their return.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I would like to thank all the staff for making my stay on Thursday night 10 July memorable for all the right reasons!
I will write a proper review later, but having just read a review posted yesterday I wonder whether we were In the same hotel? The food was excellent the staff friendly and the bed comfy!
Thank you Carlo and your staff I'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bill G

Dear Bill G,

Thank you!

It was great to meet you and to exceed your expectations.
I will pass on your thanks to all the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went recently ate at the drawing room, after a gap of just over a year since last dining there, "wow"
What a difference the food service and quality has, in my opinion shot up to top grade, very much enjoyed the new menu and my wife who is not known for trying new things, was recommended the new pork starter, she really enjoyed it.
I agree with the previous reviews , staff are the restaurants best asset . Very impressive, will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carl P

Dear Carl P,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review.

It was great to read that you and your wife enjoyed the meal from the new Al a Carte menu.
Chef and his team have really stepped up to the plate over the past year and we cook everything from fresh which sets us apart from the rest, but not only that the front of house team are a great team and have also stepped up the service standards.

I look forward to both returning.

Carlo Petza

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolverhampton
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to The Mount Hotel? Share your experiences!