“Lovely roses but poor restaurant service”
Review of David Austin Roses

David Austin Roses
More attraction details
Owner description: Alongside the Plant Centre are David Austin's beautiful 2 acre rose gardens. They are home to over 700 different varieties of roses, including the National Collection of English Roses which flower in fragrant flushes from late May until the first frosts. The rose gardens are open to the public 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm and entry is free. Advance booking is not required except for coach parties. Check our website for special events (Lunches, Talks, Garden Design Days) during the season.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lovely roses but poor restaurant service”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Visited David Austin yesterday as heard roses were glorious which they were. Met for coffee which took over 20 minutes to serve. When asking about delay, others who came after us were served, lots of excuses were made by young girl with clipboard and no apology. Coffee not cheap for this poor level of service. Also lunch menu offers no light bites only quite expensive meals.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank Marion H

Leicester, United Kingdom
228 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 373 helpful votes
“The gardens in summer are spectacular. The tearoom less so...”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have been to David Austin’s Roses on a few occasions prior to this visit to buy plants when exploring nearby sights but this was the first time we’d called in at the height of summer when the gardens were exploding with colour and scent which assailed the senses to an extraordinary level. There can be no finer English flower than a rose in full bloom and here that experience is multiplied many thousands of times. The photos below only give a small cross-section of the many dozens I took as every view was screaming out to be taken. A long walk through the beautiful gardens was worthwhile and it was hoped that a pot of tea would allow us to rest and appreciate what we had just seen. Alas, the service in the tearoom seemed half-hearted. We acquired a table fairly quickly although we had to wait some time before it was cleared of dirty pots and eventually I had to fetch someone to serve the table. Considering it was just a pot of tea for two, a teacake and a slice of carrot cake it took quite a while to arrive and even longer to pay the bill. The only advantage is that the bone china is lovely to use and the teacake and cake were good but there is obviously something wrong with the system. By the way, I’d have loved a toasted teacake too but there was nothing but strawberry jam to go with it and, being allergic to strawberries, I had no alternative. I’ll bring my own next time! In defence, we’ve not had a problem with the service before but then we’ve never been in the summer on previous visits. The plants are of exceptional quality, however, and every single rose in our garden has come from David Austin.

2 Thank EximiousTraveller
Heart of England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic rose gardens - shame about the catering!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have been to David Austin Roses several times and the gardens, shop and plant buying area are superb with clear displays, helpful leaflets and friendly staff who are happy to answer questions. It is so frustrating that the catering arrangements are so poor. It needs a good, knowledgeable manager to completely revamp how things are done. The potential is enormous but the delivery is feeble. It doesn't take long to find an excellent alternative for lunch.

2 Thank MistyCatWestMidlands
Chester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Tea rooms usually ok but mail order bouquet very disappointing”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have visited David Austin many times to have tea and to buy roses, Both of which have always been good. However my daughter got married two weeks ago and thought I would get her bouquet from David Austin who have a special wedding department.
I rang the previous Wednesday and spoke to a lady who suggested I get the bouquet on the Thursday as they would be in bud still. We were so disappointed when it came, The roses were completely out. I rang immediately but she wanted to see a photo of it!!! I sent one back and she agreed that it was well over!!! It certainly would not have done for the Saturday wedding
. They sent me twelve new roses the following day, not made up, but that was fine, and I wasn't really impressed with those either. I managed to make a bouquet with the David Austin roses that I had growing in the garden. The bouquet was about £70.00 for 10 blooms. You can however pay alot more. I admit the weather was warm, but over all a disappointing experience.
If I hadn't had some in the garden it would have been a trip to the supermarket!!

Good for tea and rose plants but not for bouquets mail order.

1 Thank Judith U
Derby, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Brilliant garden lousy tea room!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Fabulous rose garden very well maintained with staff actively working in it as we walked around. Good leaflets to accompany the well labelled display gardens .Sales area had well stocked benches of excellent grown plants and very good benches of hardy plants to go with certain roses in colour zones.
My problem was with the tea room where we were left for long period before order taken and had to wait a long time for tea to arrive and cake forgotten. We even had to ask waitress to remove dirty crockery. Went to counter only to find out no cake left. No apology given when we paid our bill very disappointed with such a prestigious company , your tea room let you down! Still like the gardens but don't rely on tea room !

2 Thank astrantiamajor