“Very good value for the cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ely House Hotel

Ely House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Reading, United Kingdom
“Very good value for the cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. Very friendly greeting from the owner (?) at reception. We had rm 16 on the third floor. Overall a very clean room and looked like a new bathroom fitting.

One noticeable thing was the lack of heating in the room. The radiator was on but right below a non-double glazed window. Once in bed you didn't really notice it.

Had a good nights sleep and a nice breakfast. As said for the price I think it's good value.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

My partner and i stayed her on 28th November, we were going to the civic to see Russell Brand as part of his birthday present. With this in mind I thought I'd treat us to a classier hotel that offered more luxury than a Travelodge or Premier Inn. Wish I hadn't bothered!

The room we stayed in was not anything like the photographs on the website, the “kingsize” bed was two pushed together with something down the middle to stop you falling, (I still did), no valance sheets on the divans makes them look incredibly unattractive. The sheets came off the bed during the night, so I can only assume they were the wrong size. There were pretty cushions on the bed on the photograph on the website, these were nowhere to be seen!? One bedside table, not the end of the world but still when you pay £60.00 for a room I would expect somewhere to put my drink of water…. that is if there were glasses to put one in! One plastic glass in the bathroom, makes me feel like we are not to be trusted! Strange orange watermarks on the wall by the TV and even stranger marks after showering on the blue wall behind the bed. It looked like someone had thrown water at the wall. No biscuits with our tea and coffee making facilities, a dirty mark on the one “clean white towel” we were provided with. No key for the door leading outside, so either don’t shut the door or get someone to let you in every time you go outside. I asked for two wine glasses as we had a bottle of Prosecco to drink before we went out, I got asked if Prosecco was Red Wine and got the feeling had I said yes, we wouldn't have been drinking it before we left! Paying for the room on arrival, very strange, what if we were to have drinks etc, I have never stayed in a hotel and paid upfront before!

I made the mistake of not bringing this to the attention of the hotel staff on the night of our stay, however I wrote them an email the following day, which I am still awaiting an answer on, I very much doubt I'll get one!

Overall I feel a let down by my experience at the Ely Hotel, as I was expecting a lovely boutique hotel and felt very dejected when I got inside the room. I was going to book the Premier Inn for £29.00 but came across you and thought I would treat my partner to a nice hotel with a bit of luxury for his birthday, I should have saved my £31.00 and brought my other half another gift!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Claire M
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this b&b for one night after booking through LateRooms. We chose this b&b over other hotels because it advertises 11am checkouts - as working people we really wanted a Sunday morning lie in! On arrival we were told that checkout was between 10 and 10.30. This was a bit irritating! We were then told that if we were out after midnight we should call them for a door entry code.

We arrived back at 11pm and went to bed. At 3am we got a phone call from reception complaining that we'd made them wait up for us. On checking my mobile I saw 3 missed calls, a voice mail and a text message all asking where we were. Bizzarre! At breakfast the receptionist complained we'd kept him up until 3am by not signing back in. How ridiculous! He woke his guests up at 3am and didn't even apologise! He expected us to apologise! I don't think so - we weren't told we had to sign back in like children!

The room was nice and clean but exceptionally cold! The radiator is far too small for the room and we had to wear jumpers to sleep!

Breakfast was diabolical. The poor waitresses are rushed off their feet because the stingy owner expects them to measure/serve everything. They pour you your allowed cereal portion and pour you one cup of tea at a time. What's up with a pot of tea? We had to ask for toast for 3 times before the lady remembered and we felt rushed when we asked for another cup of tea. Not a relaxing experience! !
It's shame this place is so strange as the rooms were nice and the location good! But waking up your guests at 3am without apology is ridiculous!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank eva1103
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

As a solo traveller I often find I am given the worst room available, but not in this case. The modern and tasteful decor of the room and en-suite was befitting of a four star hotel and both were spotlessly clean. They had even thought of a hot water bottle, extra blanket etc. Ken the manager and his staff were very friendly and helpful. I could not have asked for more and would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Nice homely feeling to this place. Stayed there in two occasion both time excellent. Ken the owner also very friendly introduced me to a nice local restaurant Cafe Rickshaw which I also love and it's walking distance so I can have a drink without happen to worry about driving back. Looking forward to more stays.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had booked a night at the nearby horse races and were looking for somewhere reasonably priced nearby to stay overnight.Ely House was just the place.Great location,ample free parking,wi fi etc.Very friendly welcome(which lasted for the whole time),good sized comfortable room and a delicious freshly cooked and well presented breakfast.The building itself is a charming example of days gone by and we were told it is grade 2 listed.It is being well cared for and credit must go to the owners.We would definitely stay there again should we revisit the area,which we are likely to do as we enjoyed the whole experience

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
west mids
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I have just had a one night stay at this hotel.
The time on arrival was 12.55pm on a saturday afternoon and when we went into reception we were told in no uncertain terms that we were too early to check in and as the hotel was completely deserted I found this rather strange.
We enquired as to whether we could have lunch and was told that they didn't do food on weekend afternoons but to walk into the city instead where we would find somewhere to eat.
After lunch we returned and checked in the room was number 16 a newly refurbed executive room which was very clean, a lovely shower ( no bath in this room ) and a very large bed , one niggle was only 2 sachets of milk on the drinks tray which was nowhere near enough.The room was very good but I personally found that you wouldnt want a long stay in it as was not very big.
We were given instructions on how to re enter the hotel after 12.30 am and these were very clear and accurate.
We got a goodnights sleep and went down to breakfast which is between 8-9.30am which for a sunday seemed a bit early. Breakfast was a straight choice of english or continental with no cereals as a starter for yourfried breakfast , it was ok no better no worse.
We had decided on a 9.00 breakfast and just as we were finishing at 9.45 the radio was turned off and that was it , the most abrupt and rude end to any meal I have had.
Overall this hotel was ok but in my own opinion I thought the owner wanted you in and out of there as soon as possible and the place seemed to lack a bit of warmth and friendliness, having said that the price was competitive, this is a hotel where I will keep a close eye on reviews before deciding wether to return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple