“Lovely hotel for a few days” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of York Hotel

York Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Bala, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel for a few days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a few nights whilst on a training course with work and must say I really enjoyed the hotel they'd put us up in. The bedroom was a really good size and the bathroom was huge! It had a nice,comfy bed, a fully working tv (they're rare!) and the most amazing power shower I've seen. Staff were really friendly in booking me taxis every morning and for general directions to local amneties as I'd never set foot in Wolverhampton before. Breakfast was delicious every morning and so was the evening although there wasn't a huge choice on the menu. The Scottish lady i spoke to whilst in the bar watching television was really friendly and I was made to feel very welcome. Now I;m trying to get the partner to stay at the hotel, I loved it that much!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kent UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Spent one night at the York Hotel as part of a group. My room was huge and the bed really comfortable. Food excellent for dinner as was breakfast. Our only quibble was that the tv remote wouldnt work even after an attempt at changing the batteries and changing the remote. A small blip! Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1 - a delight!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank catwoman690
Haworth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I cannot fault the York Hotel - friendly staff, comfortable bed, delicious breakfast, piping hot water and impeccably clean room. However it wasn't just that these expectations were met, it was all the 'extras'. It is lovely to be given a warm welcome, to have ones' idiosyncrasies indulged, to be made to feel at home.
I've stayed in so many hotels - they are usually inoffensively bland and indistinguishable one from the other. The York has character and charm. The conversations I had with the staff were delightful. I think I might have had the best scrambled eggs in my life.

I recommend it unreservedly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corrina E
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We booked the York Hotel a couple of months before our wedding and dealt with a gentleman named Tom. He agreed a discount for us as we booked a number of rooms and we paid deposit.
We arrived at the hotel after our wedding and got booked in. My mother-in-law had said that they were disputing the prices but as i was having my wedding reception at the Linden and getting ready thought nothing more of it.
Arrived for breakfast the following morning and everything was really nice, although the young lads working there kept getting the cooked breakfasts incorrect (writing it down usually helps).
Then went to pay..............how to totally ruin things for us as first day as husband and wife. Supposedly 'Tom' had left and they were insisting we pay full price. I did have Toms prices written down but they were at home as obviously I didn't expect an issue. The owner of the hotel would not talk direct to me and rather than get into an arguement on what was meant to be a nice morning we paid under duress and I said I would have to contact the owner when we got home and had the quotes with us.
I have since written to the owner and have given copies of the original quotes but have heard nothing, even ringing her. I am absolutely disgusted and would not recommend 'The York' to anyone. You only get married once and this has put a cloud over the day! Very unprofessional owner!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Helen C
Battle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the York hotel and found it a lovely experience. We have tried other hotels in the area and would definitely say that the York is the best one in Wolverhampton for young families. Staff are welcoming and could not do enough for us including warming up milk and baby food for us and the interconnecting room was ideal for a family of 4. The rooms are clean and there is also a lovely restaurant/bar area. It is also within close proximity of Wolverhampton town centre. We will definitely return when next visiting family!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

I liked the feel of the hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. When we entered our room, our bathroom light flicked to the point we couldn't use it. The TV only had BBC1 showing. At breakfast I asked for Decaf coffee and a sweetner which they didn't have. I asked for a newspaper and was told 'there is a shop down the road which sells them'. When I asked for Jam with my toast the whole used jam jar was placed on the table. A nice hotel but just not a good standard of service.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Amy E
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Had afternoon tea here with my friends last week. I'd booked for half two but after a nightmare day at work, and s very messy m6 we were an HOUR late!!! They were so lovely about it, and when we finally arrived everything was laid out and beautiful for us. The staff member-Chris, was so helpful and so chatty and just brilliant, we almost wanted him to join us! The food was plentiful, gorgeous cakes and lots of tea. The best thing was the service, just great, and I can't recommend it enough-go!!!

• Stayed December 2012