“nice food, extortionately expensive”
Review of Bilash

Bilash
Ranked #56 of 473 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Price range: US$0 - US$78
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Warwickshire
“nice food, extortionately expensive”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had an early pre-gig dinner. No price list outside so knew it probably wouldn't be cheap, but weren't prepared for such high prices. Didn't really have time to go anywhere else and were kind of committed once we'd entered. Good job I was sitting down when I read the menu. Expect to pay around £20 for a curry with rice and a naan. Was expecting something great at those prices. The food tasted delicious in all fairness - delicate but full of flavour, but tiny portions and naan not that great. Service was ok, but nothing outstanding.

We do appreciate a good curry - we're not a lager touting couple looking for a cheap late night feed after a skin-full, but this place is simply not worth it. I Find it difficult to believe they have regular customers. After eating there once we would not eat there again due to the very poor value for money.

1 Thank SnapperWarwickshire

South Staffordshire
“Not on the Cheapside at all”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Nice setting but very expensive for small portions. The tandoori fish (salmon) was very tasty but only 2 pieces. The lamb ghost was nice but swimming in too much fat.

1 Thank hotellover98
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Indescribable; it was that bad.”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Admittedly Bilash is expensive and you know that before going, however, on a deserted Friday evening with only 10 people in the restaurant to be charged £67.50 for 5 starters was somewhat unexpected. I shall refrain from being hypercritical but would note to those expecting high-class dining that there are a lot better out there.

The menu is limited and although well-spiced do not have sufficient breadth and at £14+ per main without rice or other accompaniments makes Bilash a treat. Trouble is I fear that the price tag is difficult to justify, as a group of five our bill totalled £235 for 7 poppadoms, 5 starters, 8 beers, 2 cokes, 5 main dishes 2 rice and 2 naan. Normally this would be something I would willingly pay IF I had ordered the 5 individual starters at £13.50 and 5 individual starters had been served instead of 2 'sharing' plates we received. When challenged the staff were obstructive until begrudgingly accepting that the bill was not representative of our order and reduced the starters to £27 which is still steep.

I hope others benefit from our experience and are able to avoid the pitfalls of the poor management, service and pricing of this 'michelin guide' Indian restaurant. None of my party will return to the Bilash, expensive it may be but no restaurant should resort to ripping customers off who place their trust in a service provider whilst ordering. A unique experience I wish never to repeat.

3 Thank TMullenFurness
Wolverhampton
“Very dissapointed”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We visited at 9pm on a weekday bight and there 4 people dining, however we were given extremely shprt shirft because we hadn't booked, the place was empty! We sat down and looked at the menu, which is very limited. You will not get a traditional curry here, a lot of it is fish and the choices are limited to about 5 tandoori dishes and 5 specialities. Averaging from about £16 to £25 excluding accompaniments ie: rice nann,... it is extremely overpriced, and very, very expensive in my opinion. However we sat for approximately 20 minutes to peruse the menu and in which time were just stared at by waiters who appeared to be a touch disgruntled, therefore never offered us a drink. Extremely dissapointed, personally would never want to dine there again,.

1 Thank Katy G
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Bit disappointed”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Given all the hype and positive reviews I was so keen to love Bilash. We were just day visitors to Wolverhampton and we hoped we'd stumbled on a real gem. But I confess to being underwhelmed. It was lunch so we didn't expect much atmosphere but it was full due to an office event so we weren't sitting alone. Staff were friendly though I could do with a bit less of the "is everything OK?" at every course. Oddly, one of the waiters asked if I wanted to think about something milder than I'd chosen for my two courses as both were very spicy and it was hot and sunny outside. I concurred on one and stuck to my guns on the starter. Maybe they aren't used to warm weather in Wolverhampton but the sun wasn't that hot and neither was my starter so I don't know what that was all about. The food itself was good and better than the average Indian but we've been to better Indian restaurants of the "modern" kind and to be honest this wasn't as well cooked or as clever and inventive as, say, Chilli Pickle in Brighton. And it was very expensive. Overall, definitely not a disaster, the food was good, just not as good as the hype and prices led me to expect.

1 Thank BrightonBelle_10