“Manager admitted our room was deep-cleaned AFTER our stay”
Review of Brooklands Hotel

Brooklands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Weybridge
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a Groupon at the Brooklands hotel after ignoring the few bad reviews in favour of the good. The first impressions were fantastic, beautiful building, beautiful lobby and the restaurant was fantastic... unfortunately the rest of our stay was appalling.

The room we were staying in had a layer of dust where it had been unoccupied for so long, however the mugs were stained with the previous occupants' coffee. The runner on the bed was covered in fluff, the bedside tables had sticky residue on and the welcome book was in pieces. The gentleman from housekeeping was fantastic and wiped the surfaces, replaced the mug and we just tucked the runner away. He mentioned that the state of our room would be passed on to management so we awaited a response from them that never came.

The spa was as advertised, however does not open at 9am (it was 9.30 before it was set up) and the sauna and steam room were still not fully heated at 10am.

After checkout, with a surly receptionist and still no management presence, I emailed the Brooklands Hotel with a summary saying how the restaurant and spa facilities were good however the basic amenities were disgraceful. I received a response from Marco, the manager, stating how they usually have good feedback and we should have taken the opportunity to speak to a manager. This was not a satisfactory response, so I emailed yet again outlining my disgust at his flippant reply and how filthy the room was.

Marco then called me. He stated that the room was deep cleaned after we left as it was not satisfactory, that I should have told someone at the time, and that if I did not want to stay again at the hotel that was at my digression - and no compensation would be offered. He then hung up on me.

Please take my advice, if you have a clean room and polite staff here your stay will be a good one - however if you have an experience like ours it will be horrific. The manager comments on the bad reviews are likely to be untruthful, and I would trust those with the negative comments over Marco.

1  Thank MsClarke261
Marco-Brooklands, General Manager at Brooklands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

I am disappointed that you felt that following my personal call to you to discuss your feedback that you chose to write an inaccurate trip advisor review, however this indeed is your prerogative. As mentioned on the telephone we do take all feedback seriously and my response to your comments by email and by telephone were a true reflection of the situation that occurred. My team offered at checkout for you to speak with a duty manager which as you are aware you declined at the time. As a hotel we do not operate a compensation culture and deal with any shortfalls during the stay and as you can see we receive many great comments about our product and team and our aim is to continue to deliver a great experience through both positive and constructive feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,757)

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Spent the night here celebrating our wedding anniversary courtesy of a group on voucher that had been given to us by my in laws. Hotel and room were lovely, clean, very presentable and worth the money. Massive bed and tv, beautiful walk in shower as well.

Spa experience was lovely, first time having a hot stone massage which I will definitely be booking again. The only disappointment is that there is no pool and the steam and sauna rooms are separate.

The Tapas and cocktail that we also had as part of the deal was also very good and they were more than willing to provide a non-alcoholic version for the driver of the two of us.

Would highly recommend this hotel and will be looking at returning in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so pleased you had a great stay and enjoyed all of the facilities on offer. unfortunately we do not have a pool and our sauna and steam, as with many spa hotels are separate for our guests privacy. I am pleased the bar looked after your cocktail request and I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We booked a last minute stay at the Brooklands hotel for new years eve as my dad agreed to babysit so me and my husband could stay away for the night. We did not use any spa facilities but the hotel room was amazing and we have a view of the race track which was great.
The breakfast in the morning was amazing as they were lots of choice and our friend came from outside the hotel to meet us for breaksfast which the staff were great about. My only negative comment is that we asked for a second pot of tea and coffee and we had to ask 4 further times and wait an additional half an hour to be delivered and the couple next to us also asked and in the end they got up and walked out as they got fed up with waiting. I would highly recommend this hotel and we have made another booking to stay on 15th February so i fully intend to try the spa and maybe the Restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We are delighted that you had a great night away from your children and you managed to have a nice relax. I will share your breakfast comments with the team and ensure that we address the shortfall with the breakfast team. I am so pleased you are coming back again very soon and I hope you once again have a great evening.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Went there on a Groupon deal that had been given to my wife for her birthday, had the tapas and we both had a hot stone massage. We opted to eat in the restaurant in the evening and have to say that we thought it was great food. The service was excellent throughout our stay, the room was perfect, loved the walk in shower, would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Marco-Brooklands, General Manager at Brooklands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

We are delighted that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed all of the facilities on offer. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Possibly the worst hotel/spa experience I have ever had in my life. I strongly suggest you read this in full before choosing to stay at Brooklands Hotel and Spa. I booked a last minute one night spa break for my girlfriends birthday for a saturday stay. On the day we phoned the hotel to book a time slot for our treatments, and after 30 minutes of no one answering their phones.. I got through to someone who told me that the spa is fully booked and I cannot have treatments. Take into consideration I've paid £330 for a spa experience to be told that there will be no spa experience. Upon arrival, the manager advised that they could book a treatment for the following morning. I accepted this as the only option as they refused to give me priority over other customers despite their complete mess-up. On the sunday morning I was called to tell me that the spa is fully booked until 3.30pm, but we could have a late checkout and go at 3.30pm. This was ridiculous and we had other commitments to make other than just wait in a hotel for 6 hours doing nothing. In the end I told them to cancel it all and give me a refund. I was told they can only refund me £100 for the treatments... which would mean I have still paid £230 for one night in a hotel with zero spa experience. It was the worst experience for my girlfriend and her birthday was ruined by Brooklands hotel.

We were allowed access to use the spa facitilies during our stay but note the following things very carefully. There are NO facilities for couples other than a relaxing chair area. The steam and sauna rooms are seperate for male and female, and the jacuzzi is a small 4 person tub with a limit of 10 minutes. There is also no pool or any kind of normal spa facilities, just treatment rooms (which we would not be seeing the light of).

In summary, I paid £230 for a night in Brooklands hotel with absolutely zero spa experience or treatments. I could have stayed in a top london hotel with full spa facilities and pool for this price, but I was stuck in the middle of no where waiting in their hotel for 12 hours doing nothing.

1  Thank Andy L

Thank you for your feedback and for speaking personally with my Manager on Duty at the weekend during your stay. I would like to clarify a few of the points you have made. Your night at Brooklands was booked on the Thursday before your stay on the Saturday through a 3rd party website that offers our breaks including spa treatments. The website outlines that spa treatments must be booked prior to arrival and this again should have been confirmed to you once you had completed the booking. We have worked with this company for over three years and have not had a similar problem however following your stay we have already re highlighted this to the company arranging this booking to ensure that this is made clear to all guests especially when last minute bookings occur the usual protocol is for them to check spa availability before accepting the booking to save disappointment. Our spa is very popular for treatments and at the weekends we do get booked out at least two to three weeks in advance with residents using the hotel, I am sure you can understand we are unable to displace bookings for residents who had booked weeks in advance. I am happy that on check in on Saturday my team offered what they were able to on the Sunday and arranged a complimentary late checkout so you could relax the next day. On the Sunday morning reception called to confirm that there had been no cancellations for the Sunday morning and confirmed that we could still do the later treatments in the afternoon if you wanted. I do know that during the conversation on Saturday we confirmed that we would deduct the cost of the treatments from your rate, which you accepted at the time which left you with a rate of £230.00 however I would like to confirm that this was a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate, not just bed and breakfast and as a gesture of goodwill my team upgraded your room to a front facing deluxe. Our spa facilities are outlined on our website and with the company you booked with and although the sauna and steam are separate you can enjoy together the meditation room with heated water beds, the relaxation area and spa hot tub on the balcony which has a recommended time of 10 minutes per session , however this can be used again throughout your stay. We unfortunately do not have a pool and do not advertise as such again I am sorry if this was your expectation. We have many guests visiting Brooklands Hotel and many returning guests who enjoy our facilities, I am only sorry that your weekend did not go as you planned however I do feel my team endeavoured to offer a suitable alternative at the time and dealt with your booking in the appropriate way.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My son purchased a Groupon voucher for myself and husband for a one night stay. I can often be critical of Groupon but this was a real great deal. We enjoyed Tapas and a cocktail each upon arrival. Our room was fabulous by far one of the best I have stayed in the only downside was the view of the rear car park not the most pleasant outlook. We ate in the restaurant on the evening and also enjoyed breakfast again fabulous. We shall be back after being offered a bounce back offer hopefully this time we can be at the front of the hotel!! We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves well done to everyone for making it possible especially our son for the wonderful gift.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandros17
Marco-Brooklands, General Manager at Brooklands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

We are delighted that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the room and all of the facilities of Brooklands Hotel. We are delighted that you will be coming back to stay with us and my team will be happy when you are ready to book, to offer you the supplements that are available for a front facing room so that you can enjoy the track experience. We look forward to seeing you back again very soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Room was great and no complaints there.
Had a dinner on the ground floor but the menu was ordinary!!
There were 9 of us and every single dish was ordinary which was a surprise.
Everyone did not finish the each course.
I doubt I will dine here again but the hotel is great. Will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Good service with a great clean room.