“great short break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Weybridge
Hastings, United Kingdom
“great short break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a short break at Oatlands Park Hotel. The greating we got when we checked in was warm and w. elcoming. We were then told where to find our room (shame nobody was around to help with bags and show us where to go). The room was comfortable with just the right amount of room. Bathroom was very clean as was the rest of the hotel. We had a drink before we went to bed in the bar but as we had not arranged a tab when we checked in (we like to pay as we go) we were told we were really to late to pay for a drink as they had done the till. However the young girl was helpful and bent the rule and served us. The breakfast in the morning was a little disappointing as it was a self service full english and had dried out a little always seems a shame when you are not served with what you would like. Still overall staff and hotel wonderful.

Room Tip: We had a rear room but although air con and garages at back it was very quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank sedlesc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I cannot comment on the Hotel other that the large reception area where you have tea. Myself and 2 friends had Tea here at the weekend. I was second to arrive and wasn't greeted, shown to our table or asked if I wanted to leave my jacket/umbrella. After all 3 of us were seated we were asked if we'd like tea but shown no tea menu and when we asked what tea they had we got a grunted "breakfast or earl grey". We managed to squeeze out of her that they also had peppermint and lemon/ginger. We waited a good 25 mins for food to arrive (not a big deal as you are there to chill out and enjoy) but there was no communication. I had pre ordered one vegi but this message had failed to get to the chef so one tray was removed and swiftly replaced with the vegi option. The waitress (who at this point we now realised was not mother tongue English) disappeared and did not talk us thru what we had - when we asked she had no clue whatsoever what she'd just served us. This is the whole "experience" of Tea for me. Choose your tea, be talked thru your yummy sandwiches and cakes - the theatre of the event - or you might as well go to a local coffee shop. If you are expecting that, this isn't the place or you. Our cups were never taken away when new tea arrived so you have your half empty old cup then merged with your new hot brew. Attention to detail that makes or breaks the experience. Plates were not changed once so eating cakes off the same plates that had remnants of your sandwiches. We were never asked if we'd like more scones either.
Not even comparable to a London afternoon tea for me. Yes, it's half the price so you decide what's important. My verdict - pay £20 more a head and head to Sketch, Claridge's or The Connaught.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank vmarr5000
Westbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Having read reviews (after booking), I was worried that I might have made a mistake. However, the service throughout was absolutely first class - smiling and courteous. My room was comfortable and clean. One of the nights I stayed was a Saturday, and there was a wedding party, but I didn't hear any noise, other than from planes - inevitable if you're staying somewhere this close for Heathrow.

The room had some nice touches - a proper teapot, fridge, iron, and a couple of padded hangers in the spacious wardrobe. There was free wi-fi in my room, but it was desperately slow.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David K, Director of Sales at Oatlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Many thanks for your recent post
I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations
Please note that I will be addressing the comment regarding wifi with our IT Manager, I appreciate your feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

By recommendation, I recently went to this hotel with my mother for afternoon tea. What a beautiful hotel. From the moment we entered the very stately hallway, we were made to feel welcome. The staff were extremely attentive and a chilled glass of champagne quickly made its way to our table. After this very welcome start, we were served a lovely tea. The food was simply delicious and I have to add that having a sweet tooth, the cakes are a very important part of my tea. They did not disappoint. I would go as far as to say, they exceeded a certain top London hotel. These cakes tasted as good as they looked, which from me is high praise indeed. I have since recommended this hotel to all my friends and will definately be going back to try the main restaurant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank andrea w
Many thanks for your very kind comments, I will be delighted to pass these onto to our pastry chef and lounge supervisor.
Your support is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

There is nothing special about this hotel it feels & looks tired. Our room was very basic and the hall smelt bad . Service at breakfast was disorganised and the staff didn't appear to be taking pride in there work. Not good value & Altogether disappointing .....

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bazgreg12
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, we are a traditional country house hotel and in this respect maintain many original features and retain the original character of the building.
However I will be passing on your comments to our house keeping department, maintenance team and training manager.
We are constantly striving to improve the guest experience and hope to be able to welcome you back some time in the near future.
Bungay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

As a recent reviewer has mentioned, one of the female reception staff was very brusque and surly - no welcoming smile - in fact we also found most of the dining room staff unsmiling and somewhat morose. The only notable exception was Michael on reception who was both courteous and helpful.
Breakfast was fine with a good selection on offer, but my pot of tea was luke warm and very weak. When this was mentioned to one of the waiters he almost shrugged his indifference saying he'd get another pot...no apology... I decided to stick with orange juice instead.
The hotel building is fairly impressive, albeit rather ugly, and the grounds and terraces are nicely presented. It is an undoubtedly an excellent venue for wedding receptions, which is probably their main business. However I suggest you check if a reception has been booked during the nights you wish to stay. Because of a knee injury I had booked a ground floor room, which was accessed via the main dining room. When we returned to the hotel at 10 pm in need of a good night's sleep, the dining room had been turned into a wedding disco. The noise volume was ear shattering....literally it hurt my ears, just walking through to access our room. No wonder the dining room staff looked so unhappy if they were subjected to those decibels on a regular basis!
Unfortunately the horrendous noise and bass pounding travelled to our bedroom and by 11 pm I rang the duty manager to ask how long this was likely to continue. I had hoped he would instruct the disco operator to turn down the volume by that time of night. However I was told that there was 'only another hour until the 'music' ceased'......and I had asked for a ground floor room!! I imagine every room on that side of the hotel must have been disturbed by the racket whatever floor they were on!

Room Tip: Take some earplugs!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank proudgranny2014
Many thanks for your recent review.
Naturally I am very upset to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
I will be pleased to pass on your positive feedback to Michael and I will also be adressing with department heads the areas you have identified as concerning.
We do our upmost to minimise the impact of a wedding and I am sorry that on this occasion your experience was affected by the wedding party.
I do hope that you will consider staying with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked several rooms as part of a wedding group - double, executive twin and bridal suite. So we have experienced this hotel from various angles. The booking process was very professionally handled by Peter Dixon and appreciated his patience.
The property has a stately and impressive appearance from the outside and the foyer. From the time we arrived we were made welcome by the receptionist and given the keys to our rooms. I thought all of the rooms and ensuites were very comfortable, well equipped and fitted, with lots of light streaming in from the window. The iron/board and the tea and coffee making facilities provided in the room was a definite bonus. The wifi was perfect. The traditional English breakfast did not disappoint. The views from the dining area over looked lovely gardens and a lake.
We were a little put off that the dining room was booked out even though emails were sent previously to make a booking but no response was received. Funny thing was the dining area still appeared at least 2/3rd empty after 8.00pm so not sure what the story was there. However there is a pub 5 minutes down the road and they welcomed the 20 odd number we were to a delicious feed and great value too.
We found the staff at the hotel very accommodating and friendly – there seemed to be a lot of weddings happening and the hotel was very busy – but we did not find any reason to fault any of the staff who were clearly very industrious but still professional.
We would not hesitate recommending this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms on the ground floor as we had a fair amount of luggage but guess upper floors...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your recent post, in particular I appreciated your positive feedback on Peter - he is invaluable member of the team.
We are very proud of our lovely hotel and look forward to welcoming you again in the very near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weybridge
Brooklands Hotel
Hilton Cobham
Hilton Cobham
#4 of 4 in Cobham
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,522 reviews

Been to Oatlands Park Hotel? Share your experiences!