“OK if you can't find something better”

Best Western The Ship Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Weybridge
Poole, United Kingdom
“OK if you can't find something better”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed 1 night, wife and I. Chose the location to be near Wisley RHS and Chartwell in Surrey. I was trying to avoid the m25 and Heathrow and Gatwick. The room was very clean, happened to include a wet room, but (in hot weather) was in the roof and very warm. There was noise into the early morning from drinkers in an internal courtyard. The breakfast was OK, not many guests, but a bit institutionalised ... lacking in straight from the grill pizzaz. Staff were friendly. Price (£130) for the room seems steep to me.

Room Tip: Avoid the roof rooms if it's hot. Our room had no WiFi (202?).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Roger W,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the bedroom clean and tidy. All our bedrooms have a fan located the wardrobe, to circulate the air, at present we are enjoying very hot weather, which can make our bedrooms quite hot. The Windows open with a push release of the safety catch, for additional air. I am so sorry that other hotel guests were making a disturbance in the courtyard, we do have a team of night porters, they are available and do police the area throughout the night. We have a new a la carte menu arriving shortly and we would all love to welcome you back, so that you can sample some of the delights. Once again many thanks and come and visit us again soon.

Hotel General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hubby and I stayed here for a Friday and Saturday night as a friend was getting married in Weybridge.

The hotel is very easy to find and is on the main high street in Weybridge. There was free parking, although not much disabled parking and the few spots were taken.

We were met with a warm friendly welcome and directed to our room. Due to the layout of the building we felt like we were walking round a long inwards spiral as we were almost the last room in a long corridor. That wasn't too much of a problem, it was quiet, and there was a lift up, and interesting pictures of ships and maps along the corridor.

The room was fine, and very clean. Free wifi is a great touch these days, but we had to go back to reception to ask for the password as we weren't offered it on check in. There is no air conditioning, but a fan was provided in the wardrobe which we left running all night as it was really warm while we were there. A decent hairdryer was provided with an ironing board and iron. Basic toiletries are provided in the bathroom. There was more than ample storage space in the room which did impress me as I do like lots of hanging space and drawers!

We had friends staying there at the same time, so the bar was a nice place to congregate and the barman was friendly. Sadly the only real ale was Spitfire, and it wasn't the best kept real ale. We did go for a walk along the high street, and did find other places that had better and more real ale on tap.

Breakfast was okay. A reasonable choice, although on the second day we were there I had to ask for more glasses for the fruit juice, there were none available even in the kitchen apparently, and some had to be found from somewhere else which was time consuming. Our ordered breakfast took 45 minutes to arrive, and when it did arrive mine had the beans missing - not the end of the world, but nevertheless not a great service. The fresh fruit had been used and not replenished. Another problem both days were our empty bowls and plates were not removed for ages and we had to pile them up on the table to find room to eat. There appeared to be a manager walking round the room, but that didn't seem to make any difference to the service. We didn't eat a main meal in the restaurant. Amusingly the hotel shows at reception a food hygiene rating of 4 - which is great, but we noticed the kebab van just down the street had a hygiene rating of 5!

Would definitely stay here again though,

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julie D,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a large car park at the rear of the hotel, with 2 dedicated disabled spaces. Situated on the high street in Weybridge, we are very handy for the shops and the river, which is not too far away. I am pleased that you found the bedroom to your satisfaction and that you found the additional fan in the wardrobe. In the bar we do offer Spitfire bitter and sometimes London Pride, which is very popular, we offer a range of bottled beers and draught lagers, added to which we have an extensive wine list. As we are having such great weather,our courtyard is a fantastic place to enjoy a jug of pimm’s at the moment! We all look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Ship Hotel, please come back and visit again soon. Once again many thanks for your comments.

Stockport
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at the Ship for a Friday and Saturday night as we were going to a wedding in Weybridge on the Saturday. The hotel is in the centre of Weybridge and on arrival there were plenty of car park spaces but some of them are a bit tight! Check-in was fine, but as with checkout there is only one person on the desk and you can get a queue especially as the person on the desk is looking after the phone as well. When you do get served the lady who was on the desk was very pleasant.

The hotel has clearly been extended over the years and was a job to get to our room (221), there was a lift to the second floor but one room we visited which I think was over reception / restaurant area only appeared to be accessible via stairs. If you have mobility issues you need to be aware and check with the hotel.

Our room once we got there was fine except for the lack of aircon and we were having a few rare few days of summer and the room is on the top floor so it was a bit cosy!. A fan is provided but it's not the same! Otherwise the room is comfy and a reasonable size. The bar area was alright - the drinks aren't that cheap and the one real ale was not that great, but it did.

Breakfast the following morning was fine although it was a little more chaotic on Sunday with more people and a bit more of a wait. As noted above checkout was fine once the people in front of us had been served and the phone answered but the lady on the desk was very apologetic. The wifi was free but on check-in the lady forgot to give us the code.

Room Tip: The rooms from 218 onwards are at the back so will be quiet, but can get hot in summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kevin D,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have an assortment of bedrooms, which are serviced by a lift, including a disabled bedroom with wet room. The hotel has stairs, which can be used if you should wish and we have eleven bedrooms which are in the older part of the building, overlooking the high street. If you do have walking difficulties, and find the stairs difficult, we do not allocate those bedrooms. We all look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Ship Hotel again and once again thank you for your comments.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

After a long hot days work, I was greeted by Rosie with a happy smiling face..a very courteous check in..a great room which was spotlessly clean and a comfortable bed. Dinner was a Tapas in the bar which was delicious and great value. A mention to Giles who was extremely professional and helpful. Then to a great nights sleep.
Breakfast was delicious and staff extremely efficient with no waiting for tea etc. I have read mixed reviews of this hotel and found them to be quite harsh...this is a lovely town centre hotel with parking, staff which are refreshingly unpretentious and a reasonable room rate..a great stay and I will definitely be back again. The hotel is a little tired and well used in some areas but the staff certainly make up for it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tess Y
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Tess Y,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I take all comments and guest feedback, good or back, extremely seriously and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words of praise, which I have passed on to all my team. It is so refreshing to have the positive comments about hard working staff members and we all look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Ship Hotel in the not too distant future. Perhaps on your next visit you would like to introduce yourself to me, as we have just had new carpet in our conservatory and we are about to embark on new carpets in our function rooms, I would be delighted to show you. Once again many thanks.

County Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The ship has a great location and it's clear it's a locals favourite spot, the pub downstairs was full every night and was full of banter. Pub food is good and the restaurant is good service. Maybe more vegetarian options but I enjoyed myself. Not a place to bring children too really.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Clementine R,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do indeed have good local support, both in our restaurant and the bar however my team ensure that everyone is made to feel welcome and I am pleased that you were well looked after. We are currently in the process of changing our menu, as the head chef has complied more culinary delights with his dedicated team, please do come back and try them. We do have a selection of family bedrooms and we have some good family rates for August, as we are so close to Thorpe Park Brooklands, Legoland and many other local attractions it’s certainly worth booking with us. Chef has also complied a Children’s Menu as Kids eat FREE ! We all look forward to welcoming you again.

Hotel General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Weybridge hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The good -
Hotel staff very friendly and helped recommend me a nice restaurant down the road.
Good location in the centre of Weybridge.
Iron and board supplied in room
The bad -
No air con which was not ideal in 27 degrees - although they did have a fan but it didn't do very much
My room did not get cleaned one day, I have never been to a hotel where they have failed to clean my room?!!
Bed very hard and uncomfortable
Very dated furniture and decor
Shower
Wifi terrible - took 20 minutes to get through 3 minutes of adverts on 4od

I will not be recommending this hotel to colleagues

• Stayed July 2014
Dear emilyv29,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn that you the team friendly and helpful during your stay with us. We are indeed centrally located on the high street of Weybridge, making us handy for airports and the countryside, with central London only 20 minutes by train. I am sorry that you did not get an air conditioned bedroom, each bedroom has a fan and we can supply additional if required. I note your bedroom was not cleaned one day, and I am extremely sorry for this, I have taken issue with our Head Housekeeper, it is rare that rooms get missed and she like I are very apologetic, this is not the normal standard of service. We have 5 different connections for wifi, strength is dependant on the location within the hotel. I know that the hot humid weather does not help wifi connection, but our maintenance manager checks the connection box regularly. We all look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Ship Hotel in the not too distant future.

Walton on Thames
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A catalogue of problems, made worse by poor customer service and
unprofessional management failing to take responsibility.
We booked a suite at this hotel to stay on our wedding night. We were told
that we would receive flowers and a free bottle of champagne in our room; we
received neither and were told that they were unaware of this promise.
We were given a "special" discount rate to give to our guests who would also
be staying at the hotel; this "Special" rate turned out between £15 and £25
*more* expensive than the rate available on the hotel's web site or just by
booking over the phone (with exactly the same T&Cs).
We had told the hotel that our transport was arranged for 3PM and that the
guests would appreciate being able to get into their rooms before 2PM. We
were told that this would be possible. At 2PM several guests were still
waiting in the reception, some up until 2:30PM. This was met with a "sorry"
and a marked lack of action from the staff. If the rooms were not going to
be ready then why say they would be?
The next morning, many guests had reported that there was no hot water in
the bathrooms. The receptionist said that this had not happened before but
would be fixed in 15 minutes... If it hadn't happened before how did she
know how long it would take to repair it? She was wrong anyway; the hot
water was not restored.
On check-out, one guest said that her father who was staying in another room
would be paying her bill, but she was told that was not possible and she
would still have to pay. She did pay, and when her father checked out later,
he was still charged for her room. Another guest had paid for a friend's
room, and when that person checked out they were told that the receptionist
could not tell if his room had been paid for and was asked to pay.
At this hotel, it is not possible for the receptionist to determine whether
a room has been paid for!
More than six weeks later, several people are still waiting for these
double-charges to be refunded. The hotel management has dragged its feet and
the credit card companies are now involved.
Several guests have attempted to contact the management of this hotel in
order to express their grievances, and all that has been offered is a list
of lame excuses. The lackluster response has lead me to leave this review.
It just seems that the management at this hotel have no idea what is going
on, that they are unable to deliver on their commitments, and unwilling to
act in a responsible and mature way to deal with issues.
This level of service is just ridiculous. There are plenty of other better
local options.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank LBMark
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear LBMark,

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor. Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback, as I take all guest comments extremely seriously, good or bad. I would urge you to contact me direct, as I believe that you may well have spoken with various staff members within the hotel but I have not spoken with you direct. I would like to point out that if you are having a wedding with us, in our function room, we offer a bottle of Champagne and a present from the management complimentary in our Bridal Suite. As you were having your ceremony and reception elsewhere you would not have received a bottle of champagne and a bouquet of flowers, unless of course you requested this. Our best available rates are always posted on our website, these are reviewed continually by our dedicated team of reservationists, it is also possible to contact them direct and they will quote you exactly the same rate. Early check is possible, if the bedrooms are available, as you can imagine, we do have guests that request late check, so if the hotel is busy and guests have requested late check out, on occasions it is not always possible to gain entry. If there is a specific reason for an early check in it is possible to reserve the bedroom and pay a nominal fee to guarantee your bedroom, this would have been explained to upon your request at the reservation stage. I am sorry for the lack of hot water, this was an unusual situation however as we had our dedicated engineer on site fortunately he was able to rectify the problem immediately, hence the reason why the receptionist knew how long it was going to take before the hotel had hot water. Once again I would urge you to contact me direct as I can assure you that you have not spoken with me and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you direct. As you post your review on tripadvisor under a pseudonym it is impossible to contact you, as I am sure that you can appreciate. Clearly this is not the usual standard of service that we offer at BEST WESTERN Ship Hotel and I trust that you will come back and visit us again.

01932 848364
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weybridge
The Warren Lodge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
#3 of 4 in Chertsey
Holiday Inn London-Shepperton

Been to Best Western The Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!