“A Great Upgrade!”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Warrington
England, United Kingdom
“A Great Upgrade!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Hotel has been transformed - now a great place to stay, food was excellent, breakfast was impressive and the bar area for an evening drink either in a group for food or drinks caters for all - business or a drink on your own. Staff were very helpful and efficient. Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Andrew K, General Manager at pentahotel Warrington, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Dave L,

Many thanks for you kind comments, we love the fact that you think our refurbishment and brand are great.

I'll hopefully look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Andrew Kendrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Worth staying. Paid 40 for two and included breakfast and access to movies. Next to motorway so was very convenient when going to Chester zoo the next morning. Parking ticket was £3 all day which wasn't too bad. Bar reception was different and nice change from traditional setting.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear lohan,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide me with your feedback.

I'm delighted that you thought our hotel was excellent value. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

All in all a nice stay, we stayed here for one night and were very pleased with our stay, nice comfortable room, free TV movies and wi-fi, clean and warm but why do we have to pay for parking?!! More and more hotels are charging for this and I suppose I can understand if space is limited in big cities but this is on a Warrington industrial estate! The car park was under a quarter full and we could've parked next door for free, not good! Only two pillows on a double bed and only one bath towel for two paying adults were the only drawbacks of a nice stay, small things but would be so much nicer.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew K, General Manager at pentahotel Warrington, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Marcatten,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave me your thoughts on your recent stay, we are looking into your comments regarding the pillow offering and will review our brand standard going forward.

Many thanks for you feedback we take great interest in all of our guests comments.

I look forward to hopfully seeing you again here in Warrington.

Stafford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Needed one nights stay on a Saturday in April whilst visiting the Manchester and stumbled upon this by accident. I was very lucky and hit on an extra special offer of £38 for the night. Had a quick look at reviews and thought we would give it a go. Ok so from the outside it isn't breathtaking but we knew, being on a business park, that this would be the case. Having read the reviews we knew what to expect in the reception and it was great! Staff were very efficient booking us in and we made our way to our room. Certainly exceeded both our expectations. Nice comfortable bed, air con, free toiletries, a lovely big shower and a MAHOOSIVE TV! Cannot comment on the food in the restaurant in the evening as we chose to take a short trip in the car to the local 2 for 1 pub, but I do see how some people could find it remote. Had an earlyish breakfast the next day...WOW! Due to the cost of the room we were both expecting breakfast to be a coffee and croissant, but there was everything! Fruit, cereal, delicious HOT food, toast, pastries, cheese and ham. Could not have asked for more. We both could not believe the value for money of this hotel and really hope they will expand more throughout the UK. Keep up the FAB work!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sassyjem
Andrew K, General Manager at pentahotel Warrington, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear sassyjem,

Many thanks for your fantastic review.

The team are so delighted that we exceeded your expectations and really look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the near future.

Many thanks once again,

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

From beginning to end my experience at this hotel was brilliant. From fabulous decor to mega helpful and friendly staff. Bright, cheerful, fresh, unique, what more can I say?! Such good value. I stayed here with my 4 year old who absolutely loved it. The staff made us feel so welcome, so many hotels these days make you feel awkward for bringing kids but not here! ! Can't recommend this place enough. Rooms are spacious, modern and clean and the tv packages were a hit with my daughter! All for free! Anybody finding anything to moan about here needs to have a rather big word with themselves, as there's nothing at all I could find to complain about. Will definitely be staying again .

• Stayed April 2014
Dear vickie1980louise,

Many thanks for such kind words the team here will be delighted that we gave you such an "awesome" stay.

We all will look forward to seeing you again soon in the future.

West Sussex, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

“Lit up like a lap dancing club” was my very helpful and witty taxi driver’s description of the Penta Hotel in Warrington, and as we pulled off the duel carriageway and into a car park bathed in neon that evening I could see what he meant. The cars parked outside the hotel give you a very precise idea of which sector of the market the Penta caters for: Vauxhall Insignias (Insignii?), Ford Mondeos (Mondeii? I give up...), 3 and 5 series BMWs alongside a smattering of Mercedes from the lower end of the price range introduce you to the world of the commercial business traveller, bringing you dangerously close to checking into Just Another Euro-Box.

I was working, but I’m not a commercial traveller – the choice of hotel that the agency my employer uses to find my accommodation isn’t strictly defined by profitability. This means that, within certain budgetary constraints, I do normally get to stay in some quite nice hotels. Of course, I have also ended up in some truly appalling places as well, but this isn’t all about me... The point I am struggling to make is that I am (as far as my work is concerned) unfamiliar with the NovoPremier Travel Inn Lodge Express experience, so I was a little unnerved to find myself being deposited by said helpful taxi driver in front of what appeared to be, despite the gaudy violet neon signage, a budget business travellers’ hotel.

My unease was compounded by confusion as I made my way into what I assumed was the lobby and apparently found myself in a stylish bar, complete with mood-lighting, spot lights on scaffolding above an array of exclusive spirit bottles and “ironically retro” disco glitter balls. The almost exclusively male, casually-dressed, youngish to early middle-aged clientele lounged by the bar, drinking bottled beers whilst others played pool to a soundtrack of modern lounge jazz. After a few moments of orientation I realised that the bar was also the reception and presented myself to the young lady that checked me in.

A few minutes later I stepped out of the lift onto the third floor and walked past a vending machine of ambitiously-priced soft drinks and snacks - a better idea, in my opinion, than over-crowding your room with mini-bars and suchlike. Upon opening my room I discovered why such sensible adjustments had been made, as my room was of such modest proportions as to make the extravagance of a fridge simply impossible. To be fair, there was exactly as much room as I needed and the spotless space that was to be my home for the next two nights was spotlessly clean and furnished in a tasteful (albeit Spartan) style. Unpacking would be difficult since there are no drawers and a basic hanger for your garments, but there are sufficient cubby holes for socks and underwear to make a short stay bearable. The desk area was a good size and by the window – if the view had been anything other than the duel carriageway then that would have been marvellous. A quick visit to the ablutions showed that the theme of compact and functional extended to the bathroom as well. So far, so tolerable then...

What to do now then? The receptionist has advised me that my guest card would get me into the health club located in the adjacent business park. I had my PE kit in my bag as I understood there was a gym, but I hadn’t brought a tracksuit with me and was disinclined to go wandering around a bunch of darkened offices looking for a gym, so I chose to go for walk instead – My top tip for this course of action would be to check Google Earth or a similar website to see where the network of cycle and footpaths are, so that, unlike me, you don’t go blundering around on the pavement-free verges of duel carriageways and roads in the dark looking for a parade of shops where you can stock up on essentials (in my case, wine, chocolate and crisps). Basically, unless you either have a car, want to stay in the hotel all the time or actually quite like walking then the Penta is a little isolated. Fortunately for me I am in the last category and, mainly by trial and error, I eventually happened upon the Birchwood Shopping Centre – a truly depressing place, but one that has a full-size Asda and a pub called the Peacock (which I’ll come back to in a moment).

Having blundered around in the dark for a while and worked up an appetite I decided that the hotel was my best bet for dinner – It was about nine o’clock when I sat down in the dining room tucked behind the bar area and the staff were very patient as I pored over the menu, deciding how to spend my meagre meal allowance to best effect. The menu isn’t huge and is a little ambitiously priced, however there seemed to be a certain amount of flair put into what is essentially pub grub. I’m a sucker for spicy Buffalo wings, so ordered those followed by the “Heart Attack Burger” – I have a healthy appetite and thought that I’d be able to comfortably see off whatever Chef threw at me. The wings were a bit “meh” (appearing to be reheated in a microwave together with limp crudités) although the sauce was properly spicy and gave me an opportunity to completely ruin my nicely starched napkin. The burger was an absolute monster though and, tasty though it was, I realised I had bitten off (quite literally) more than I could chew. This was my own fault and the only thing about the dining room I would criticise is that at half-past nine the lights dimmed, the lounge jazz (only mildly irritating) stopped and was immediately replaced by pumping dance music. I’m unsure why they did this – Are they hoping we’ll forget that we are in a budget hotel and confuse our surroundings for a swanky night club where we will instantly stop minding paying four quid for a bottle of beer? It’s a hotel bar – it’s SUPPOSED to be slightly maudlin so that the guests will go to bed and leave the night porter alone...

Anyway, after a half-reasonable night’s sleep, I arrived back in the dining room to be seated for breakfast, only to be told to sit wherever I wanted – a dangerously anarchic set-up if ever there was one. Anyway, the breakfast itself provided plenty of hot and cold choices and even the usually misnamed “hot buffet” was quite passable thanks to dishes being regularly replenished with relatively small amounts so that nothing dried out. I’d prefer the coffee not to be from a machine of the press-a-button-and-hope-for-the-best variety, but otherwise it was all fine.

That evening I was determined not to eat in and tried to find somewhere within walking distance to have my dinner. This proved remarkably difficult, partially due to the Wifi not working, which prevented me from doing much research, but mainly due to the Penta being in the middle of nowhere. I eventually decided to walk back to the Peacock (about twenty minutes away) and found the place to be quite pleasant in a modern, brightly-lit, steak-house sort of way. The menu was extensive and modestly priced while the chap serving was friendly and attentive. Definitely worth a look if you get wire-happy at the Penta.

Overall the Penta a perfectly acceptable place to stay: It’s a business traveller’s hotel where they have tried hard to move away from the typical continental iteration to something a bit more modern and relaxed. They’ve made the bar area funky and the staff wear jeans and t-shirts to display their impressive collection of body art. You might really like it. As for me, I’m still not sure if it’s completely my cup of tea.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cheapbutdemanding
Andrew K, General Manager at pentahotel Warrington, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear cheapbutdemanding,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. From your comments it seems clear that you enjoyed our hotel but the brand my not be for you, we can understand this.

the pentahotel brand is new, funky, modern and stylish with a new lifestyle feeling, we know that this my not cater for everyone but do think that we offer fantastic service and product at a great value.

I hope you choose to try pentahotels again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Me and my husband stayed at the Pentahotel Warrington for a 1 night stay in April, everything from phoning the hotel direct to checking in, room quality,freindly staff, breakfast choice was amazing,cleanliness,very modern look, directions to shopping areas from staff,I can go on and on We will definately be staying again some time in the near future. A big thankyou to all the staff who was working at Pentahotel on Friday 11th April 2014 and a big thankyou to Phillip (Manager) for providing our room with special touches. I cannot fault this Hotel one bit....you dont get this kind of quality in a top 5 star Hotel in a big city....The hotel is in the middle of a business unit area but we had a lovely walk around and had a sit down near a lovely duck pond which was nice to have a coffee with the sun shining and lots of garden areas to look at.
Thanks again Mr and Mrs Lowe.

Room Tip: Room 222 is facing the carpark area as you drive into the car park if you want to keep a check on yo...