“Lovely Place”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Place”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Amazing Sunday lunch at the OPO today, great service and atmosphere, will definitely be going back soon.

• Visited March 2014

wallingford , United Kingdom
“very over rated!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a pub in my home town, when I first moved here it was on my list of places I had to go as the website looked so nice.

It has now been relegated to the place I go if I need food, don't mind waiting a while for service and don't mind being over charged for average food!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sharon D
Amersham, United Kingdom
“If this were a school report it would say; "NEEDS TO TRY HARDER"”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We have eaten here before and found it not too bad as it was very busy. But we found similar basic faults, slow getting us seated, taking orders, even drinks. Table clearing was slow, in fact we had our coffee before our table was cleared and coffee was ages in arriving. We understand food is freshly cooked and this will take a little longer, this is not a problem.

Background music is too loud, friends warned us of this, Looks good inside and feels good, but service needs seriously looking at, maybe more staff, just one would help and a bit more training.

Food was very good, we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals.

Would we eat there again, yes, but only if there were not too many customers, as slow service really lets them down.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Tregorthe1st
Reading, United Kingdom
“BAD SERVICE!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Old Post Office from outside looks like our sort of place. On our anniversary and first visit to Wallington we decided to visit. We spent the 1st 15 minutes of being inside ignored. We went and sat at the bar hoping to be served a drink and looking at the menu contemplating lunch, but instead the 2 bar staff behind the bar continued to pretend that we weren't there. There was no acknowledgement that we were even there. 1 member of staff continued to put glasses away as we sat there, and the other had their back to us and didn't even turn around. After 15 minutes of sitting at the bar, with no contact what so ever, we left. What a lovely place - shame about the service. The only good thing about our experience is that we found a lovely pub down the road where we had a great afternoon and great service. Something the Old Post Office may want to think about!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank hollie_s8
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Dire service”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was my first visit to The Old Post Office and I went with my daughter, my brother and my niece. We arrived at 4pm on Sunday afternoon and waited at the entrance to the restaurant to find out if we needed to wait to be seated. After a few minutes of being ignored by staff (it wasn't particularly busy) we ordered drinks from the bar. We asked the barman if we could just find a table and were told, rather curtly, that we have to be seated. His stinking attitude didn't start the experience off well and then he went off to look at availability while were left hanging around and then a waitress came over and showed us to the first available table for 4.

We ordered our food and didn't have to wait too long for it to arrive and it was very nicely presented and tasted lovely. When it was served we asked for a glass of wine and after 10 minutes I had to ask the waitress where it was. We were given dessert menus to look at and then had to ask to order them as nobody bothered to come back to our table. Again, the food was lovely but trying to get the waiter's attention to ask for the bill was painful. Eventually we got the bill and then sat for another 10 minutes before having to ask to pay.

If it had been busy I could understand why the service might suffer but it was very quiet while we were there and the service was, in my opinion, atrocious. There's a fine line between waiting staff being too intrusive or totally indifferent and TOPO misses this by miles and they'd definitely benefit from some customer service training. There was no sign of a manager being around and if there had been, things might have been different.

It'll be a while before I go back, purely because of the service.

• Visited February 2014