“This restaurant has gone downhill”

The Old Post Office
Ranked #11 of 57 Restaurants in Wallingford
Price range: US$11 - US$37
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“This restaurant has gone downhill”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Old Post Office used to be my go-to place to eat in Wallingford. I have eaten here numerous times over the years, mainly for work, but for social occasions as well, and the food was always very good. However, I ate here last night and the food has seriously gone downhill.

I had the whitebait to start. In the past it was one of my favourite dishes. Last night they were undercooked so that the fish were soggy and also tasteless. Also, the portion sizes have been seriously been reduced, whilst the prices have not. In addition, they had forgotten the sauce, which I had to ask for. Not a great start...

For the main course I had the lamb duo. I have not had this before, but I was seriously disappointed. Whilst the meat component was good, it was completely covered in a disgusting gelatinous goo that was supposed to represent a red wine jus. The small portion of token veg were also disappointing.

I had the brownie to finish, which was fine.

Other disappointments include awful service (ignoring customers, forgetting drinks orders etc), stupid novelty serving slates, baskets etc (what's wrong with plates?), eating off greaseproof paper (to protect the slates). The list goes on...

Considering you pay a fairly premium price for eating here, I would expect far more. I had spent a lot of money in here over the years, but I may consider going elsewhere in the future.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dr-S-White

swansea wales
“A lunch spoilt by thoughtless & over zealous staff”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I had travelled over 200 miles to spend the day with my 97 year old mother & sister & decided on the old post office as a lovely venue with relatively easy access for my mother.
I have used the same venue a few times previously very successfully.
My sister dropped us off & went to park the car. I got my mother seated while we waited for my sister to return when we were asked what we wanted to drink. The Manager took our order for a glass of wine & a jug of water. We were then immediately asked again by the waitress what would we like to drink, I explained that we had already ordered. This went on and became extremely intrusive every time we had settled into a conversation the waitress would appear with some interruption or other. As my mother is not very mobile while we finished our drinks my sister popped out to collect a prescription from the chemist opposite. The waitress continually came up asking again & again if we wanted a dessert when I said we would decide when my sister returned she said that she had been away for so long could we make a decision now - which was ridiculous as the chemist was literally just over the road and she had been away from the table for approx 5. Mns.

The waitress concerned definitely needs more training in how to deal with customers.

This service completely spoilt our meal & precious time together. Our food was delicious but not sure if we will be returning.

Visited March 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Quality”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Old Post Office offers quality with high end products. I had been here a few times in December. The slow cooked belly of pork was fantastic as was the beef medallions my girlfriend had when we went and the steak I had at my work Christmas function was cooked very well considering the number of people not to mention the quality of the meat. The beers are high end and you pay for it but in many ways you get what you pay for going here.

• Visited December 2013
Near Oxford
“Lunch with friends”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We have dined at the OPO on many occasions and have usually had a good experience
Yesterday 20th May was an exception. there were 4 of us, one had mussels, another sea bream I think,a goats cheese tart and I had a house burger, there was no salad garnish,the bun was awful.
My burger was a large meat-ball that was so over cooked I could hardly cut it, where was the burger you used to serve in a Ciabatta roll with a garnish of salad leaves and cherry tomatoes.
Mcdonalds do a better job. The fish dish "served whole on a bed of vegetables" was difficult to eat as the bones and skin got mixed with the veg. We did complain and were not charged for the burger..................

• Visited March 2014
Wallingford, United Kingdom
“This place has gone downhill fast”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The OPO used to be my place of choice. I would visit at least once a week. Now I never go unless I have to. The service is awful. The food is overpriced for basic pub grub. Wine per glass is extortionate, so take a mortgage out before visiting. I hope that Oakham Inns take note and do something about this and fast.

• Visited March 2014