“Very good food, atmosphere and service”

Ranked #10 of 60 Restaurants in Wallingford
Price range: US$11 - US$37
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recommended by our B&B hosts at The Old School House, we decided to have dinner at The Old Post Office (everything seems to be old in Wallingford) and did not regret for a minute. We were served by an extremely kind waitress coming from Bulgaria and the food was just as mouth-frienly. The outdoor seating at the side can be a little bit more comfortable (no need to have a view on tha trash-bins) but that couldn't spoil the experience of a warm, friendly and tasteful family evening.

1  Thank Jan D
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Jan,

A big thank you from the Team for such a lovely review. Your waitress' name is Kameliya and she will be rewarded for her good work and the personal mention.

The Old Post Offce

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We order the duck salad, the bar person told us it had slices of Duck, not fried! It arrived promptly, contained mostly rocket, a few sesame seeds, two grapes and a minute portion of warmly heated duck. After complaining our money was returned and we ate elsewhere. Service poor. Tables need a clean and we will not return. Shame as previously have eaten here many time and had coffee. Sadly the standard has declined. I do have a photo of the meagre portion but its so embarrassing so wont share.

4  Thank bert015
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

This issue was dealt with appropriately in situ and it’s a real shame to see that you have decided to follow through on your threat of Tripadvisor blackmail when because we refused your demands for further freebies.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Worth visiting. The food is really good. The menu is often changed and is rather diverse. They do good cocktails too. It also gets nice and lively in the bar area at the weekend. Nice outside seating area too.

Central Wallingford location.

Dear Jake,

Thank you very much for the great review. If you're a fan of our cocktails, it's worth noting that we are currently running selected cocktails at £4.95 throughout July. There's a great selection on the discounted list and still a good fortnight left to take advantage of the offer!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I used to go here regularly, but the service and quality dropped. Popped in today after a couple of months to see if it had improved, but was shocked. I asked for a large glass of Chardonnay and was charged £9.75. What a rip off. Won't be returning. I am not prepared to pay that price at a provincial, run of the mill pub. It's a shame.

2  Thank Tracy N
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Tracy,

I'm naturally very concerned to read your belief that our product and service do not match the prices that we charge. However, I must challenge a couple of points in your two reviews.

You describe the Old Post Office as "run of the mill" and, in your previous review in March, our food as "basic pub grub". I strongly take issue with this. Firstly, we are picky with our suppliers. Our bread is sourced from Jungs of Beaconsfield - a bespoke, artisan bakery that means that we can ensure that our bread is baked fresh that morning. Fish is sourced from Seafood Direct - a specialist fishmonger who land and deliver to the restaurant within 24 hours. Our Italian products are geniune imports, selected by Annessa - specialist in the field. Our butcher is Aubrey Allen. They've won Butcher of the Year five years in a row and supply the royal family. They are without doubt the best butcher on the market and have the accolades to prove it. The restaurant also enjoys a brisk trade from breakfast to late evening throughout the week. This ensures that food never stay in fridges for any length of time. Our food is of exceptionally quality and fresh, ordered in small amounts on a daily basis. Furthermore, We're picky with the chefs that we employ. Our Head Chef, Juan, comes from a Rosette background. I've known both of my Sous Chefs Matt and Domenico for a number of years and have absolute faith in both their culinary abilities and their passion for quality. If you don't believe me, by all means come in and speak to them yourself. We operate a theatre kitchen open to the public and the chefs have absolutely nothing to hide. Having been in this industry for over 12 years, I can assure you that the food served at the Old Post Office could not be further from the pre-packaged, pre-cooked, frozen-and-then-reheated pub grub that you will find in the countless de-skilled kitchen across the country. It is the freshest produce that we can locate and highest quality.

Moving on to your compaint regarding our wine pricing, the issue from my perspective boils down to differing perception of value. Our cheapest large glass of wine is £6, but this isn't what you selected. The Chardonnay that you requested was indeed priced at £9.75 for a 250ml glass (this review having been written shortly before the introduction of our new list). This was the only pure Chardonnay on this list - produced by Cannonball in Healdsburg, California. At face value, the retail price seems high, however I maintain that this represents excellent value for money. Cannonball is a boutique producer of some renown and exactly the same label is sold in its country of origin for over $70/bottle - approx £42/bottle or £14/250ml glass. A quick Google Search will demonstrate that Cannonball Chardonnay is approx £45/bottle (£15/250ml glass) in London restaurants. We stock these labels because - even though we may be provincial - we are certainly not Run Of The Mill. Just as in the restaurant, our bar sells quality, "on-trend" products that mark us as something different from our competitors. We are constantly on the look our for The Next Big Thing and, unfortunately, this comes with an associated cost. The good news is that, with Chardonnay enjoying a general return to popularity, our new wine list has a more affordable example of the grape running in tandem with the more rarified Cannonball. We also have a Grillo/Chardonnay blend that I would thoroughly recommend.

I would also respectfully point out that we do list our prices clearly in our wine list. There are several copies of the list situated at the bar, we give a copy to every seated restaurant table and it is also available online. We are certainly not in the business of trying to catch people out. Our bar does sell a variety products at a variety of price points - from Becks Vier to Dom Perignon - but I maintain that those prices are well advertised. A swift perusal of the wine list would have demonstrated that there were a dozen other choices of wine available that would have been nearly half the cost, but on this particular list the Chardonnay happened to be one of the most expensive that we sell. This leaves the bartender/waiter in a slightly awkward situation. Should they say to a guest "Are you sure you want this? It's very expensive!" I would argue that to do so would be patronising and, as such, have trained the Team to provide what has been requested.

At the end of the day, I do agree that it is a shame that you won't be returning to us but I do feel that your comments here are a little harsh - especially when I consider your praise elsewhere on tripadvisor of other restaurants in the area with a considerably higher price point of both food and wine. Should you wish to speak to me directly am I, as always, available via damien@oakmaninns.co.uk.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I really enjoyed the meal and the staff were friendly and helpful. Only thing I didn't like was having to pay for side orders. I think they should be included with the meal.

Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to praise our food and service.

With regards to your comments on side orders, I would respectfully argue that each of our Main Menu items are designed to be full meals. We don't charge for simply a steak, for example, with the fries, salad, etc coming as additional extra to appear on the bill as you find in some restaurants (Oxford's "Cleaver" springs to mind). As such our sides are a completely additional extra to the dining experience and I do think it fair and reasonable to charge for them.

Naturally, I am always available via damien@oakmaninns.co.uk should you wish to discuss things further.

The Old Pos Office