“Left disappointed”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Left disappointed”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Went here with my family and was quite disappointed. I'm not vegetarian but I ordered the vegetarian roast because it sounded absolutely divine but it was entirely missing the fondue sauce the menu advertised. It was essentially crumble topping on bare vegetables. I really dislike complaining but I thought I would ask about it, however nothing was really done to rectify the situation. I was told that the chef had been notified and it would be changed for next time but what about my own meal? I was expecting them to at least remove the cost of my meal from the bill or offer a different meal but they didn't do either. Everyone else enjoyed their meals and the waitress we had was polite but I don't think the situation was handled well. I think I should have been offered a new meal or at least not had to pay for one I wasn't satisfied for. It shouldn't be the customer's job to ask for it to be done, it should be offered.

I'm sure it was just a bad experience but I wouldn't recommend it now to my friends and I probably won't go again unfortunately.

1 Thank Elc1992
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I absolutely agree that the Primavera Crumble was lacking in a sauce and, as promised, Chef and I have reviewed the dish.

I must respectfully point out, however, that I did indeed offer an alternative. Conscious that the rest of the table were eating their meals, I suggested bringing you a seperate sauce or, should you prefer, cooking you an different meal. Your preference was for the sauce. I also applied a discount to the bill that represented a 70% reduction of your meal that I consider appropriate for a dish that was entirely consumed.

I am more than happy to apologise publicly for your experience and I am fully aware that, on this occasion, we let you down. I'm gratified to read that the remaining 6 members of your party enjoyed their meals and I do hope that you reconsider your resolution not to return to the Old Post Office. I am certain that we will swiftly rebuild your confidence in us with a re-visit.

Should you wish to chat further, I am available via damien@oakmaninns.co.uk.

The Old Post Office.

Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great Food. Great Cocktails. Decent Real Ale (Loddons)
Bar Staff always polite and professional.

Can be a little echo e as open plan. Nice to sit outside on the pavement cafe area and watch the world go by.

Visited December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the postive feedback.

Avelgem, Belgium
“Very good food, atmosphere and service”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recommended by our B&B hosts at The Old School House, we decided to have dinner at The Old Post Office (everything seems to be old in Wallingford) and did not regret for a minute. We were served by an extremely kind waitress coming from Bulgaria and the food was just as mouth-frienly. The outdoor seating at the side can be a little bit more comfortable (no need to have a view on tha trash-bins) but that couldn't spoil the experience of a warm, friendly and tasteful family evening.

1 Thank Jan D
Dear Jan,

A big thank you from the Team for such a lovely review. Your waitress' name is Kameliya and she will be rewarded for her good work and the personal mention.

The Old Post Offce
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“A plate of rocket, 2 grapes and a minute portion of Duck”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We order the duck salad, the bar person told us it had slices of Duck, not fried! It arrived promptly, contained mostly rocket, a few sesame seeds, two grapes and a minute portion of warmly heated duck. After complaining our money was returned and we ate elsewhere. Service poor. Tables need a clean and we will not return. Shame as previously have eaten here many time and had coffee. Sadly the standard has declined. I do have a photo of the meagre portion but its so embarrassing so wont share.

4 Thank bert015
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
This issue was dealt with appropriately in situ and it’s a real shame to see that you have decided to follow through on your threat of Tripadvisor blackmail when because we refused your demands for further freebies.

Wallingford, United Kingdom
“Great food, great setting”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Worth visiting. The food is really good. The menu is often changed and is rather diverse. They do good cocktails too. It also gets nice and lively in the bar area at the weekend. Nice outside seating area too.

Central Wallingford location.

• Visited June 2014
Dear Jake,

Thank you very much for the great review. If you're a fan of our cocktails, it's worth noting that we are currently running selected cocktails at £4.95 throughout July. There's a great selection on the discounted list and still a good fortnight left to take advantage of the offer!