“Best steak in Oxfordshire”

Ranked #10 of 57 Restaurants in Wallingford
Price range: US$11 - US$37
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best steak in Oxfordshire”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

£24 for a rib eye steak main course isn't cheap but on reflection it's actually pretty good value. This is a high quality, well aged piece of steak on the bone with a very distinctive meaty flavour that is more aligned to the expensive rare breeds found in the very best steak restaurant in the country (Goodman in London). Like Goodman, it's also cooked on the exclusive and very expensive Josper grill, which gives it that characteristic chargrilled smoky flavour on the outside, yet the medium-rare steak was consistenly pink throughout and remarkably juicy on the inside.

It was cooked to absolute perfection and tasted divine. This was by far the highlight of the meal and it means I will certainly be returning. Accompanying fries were decent enough, vine tomatoes were ok, albeit I prefer a slower cooking process to intensify the flavour rather than just being exposed to enough heat for a few minutes to soften them a little. The rocket leaves were a disappointment - literally dry leaves chucked on the plate, whereas I'd really expect a little light dressing/oil to bring them to life a bit.

A word of warning - I was offered some accompanying sauce and opted for some bernaise on the side. It was thick and flavoursome, but I was a little surprised by the £3 additional cost slapped on the bill.

Chicken wings for starters were a bit disappointing. The marinated flavour didn't really come through and while they were cooked well and moist, it seemed as if they had been deep fried (or at least finished in the fryer) as they were very oily. No finger bowl was provided, which didn't help matters and the skin wasn't crispy either, so the three wings provided with a bit of chilli mayo didn't seem great value for money.

Service on the whole was good and the venue has a good buzz to it, helped by the completely open kitchen.

The steak and the josper grill are the real stars here. If it wasn't for these this would be a 3 star review at best. Next time I return it will be solely for the steak main course.

• Visited July 2014
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Mikey,

Thanks for the solid praise of the steak. The Josper really adds to what is already a fantastic product and I'm glad that you appreciate the difference!

I think that it is something of an industry standard to charge extra for sauces unless specifically stated in the menu description of a dish. While I understand that sauces are included in the price at Goodman, I would note that our menu clearly states our sauces as "Extras" and the dish with sauce remains good value in comparison (being some £7 cheaper).

I'm naturally very concerned with your comments on the chicken wings as it is a very popular choice for us. They are certainly not deep fried and will be discussing your comments with Chef. If you book via damien@oakmaninns.co.uk for your next visit I would love to chat to you in person regarding them.

“Left disappointed”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Went here with my family and was quite disappointed. I'm not vegetarian but I ordered the vegetarian roast because it sounded absolutely divine but it was entirely missing the fondue sauce the menu advertised. It was essentially crumble topping on bare vegetables. I really dislike complaining but I thought I would ask about it, however nothing was really done to rectify the situation. I was told that the chef had been notified and it would be changed for next time but what about my own meal? I was expecting them to at least remove the cost of my meal from the bill or offer a different meal but they didn't do either. Everyone else enjoyed their meals and the waitress we had was polite but I don't think the situation was handled well. I think I should have been offered a new meal or at least not had to pay for one I wasn't satisfied for. It shouldn't be the customer's job to ask for it to be done, it should be offered.

I'm sure it was just a bad experience but I wouldn't recommend it now to my friends and I probably won't go again unfortunately.

1 Thank Elc1992
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I absolutely agree that the Primavera Crumble was lacking in a sauce and, as promised, Chef and I have reviewed the dish.

I must respectfully point out, however, that I did indeed offer an alternative. Conscious that the rest of the table were eating their meals, I suggested bringing you a seperate sauce or, should you prefer, cooking you an different meal. Your preference was for the sauce. I also applied a discount to the bill that represented a 70% reduction of your meal that I consider appropriate for a dish that was entirely consumed.

I am more than happy to apologise publicly for your experience and I am fully aware that, on this occasion, we let you down. I'm gratified to read that the remaining 6 members of your party enjoyed their meals and I do hope that you reconsider your resolution not to return to the Old Post Office. I am certain that we will swiftly rebuild your confidence in us with a re-visit.

Should you wish to chat further, I am available via damien@oakmaninns.co.uk.

The Old Post Office.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great Food. Great Cocktails. Decent Real Ale (Loddons)
Bar Staff always polite and professional.

Can be a little echo e as open plan. Nice to sit outside on the pavement cafe area and watch the world go by.

Visited December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the postive feedback.

Avelgem, Belgium
“Very good food, atmosphere and service”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recommended by our B&B hosts at The Old School House, we decided to have dinner at The Old Post Office (everything seems to be old in Wallingford) and did not regret for a minute. We were served by an extremely kind waitress coming from Bulgaria and the food was just as mouth-frienly. The outdoor seating at the side can be a little bit more comfortable (no need to have a view on tha trash-bins) but that couldn't spoil the experience of a warm, friendly and tasteful family evening.

1 Thank Jan D
Dear Jan,

A big thank you from the Team for such a lovely review. Your waitress' name is Kameliya and she will be rewarded for her good work and the personal mention.

The Old Post Offce
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“A plate of rocket, 2 grapes and a minute portion of Duck”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We order the duck salad, the bar person told us it had slices of Duck, not fried! It arrived promptly, contained mostly rocket, a few sesame seeds, two grapes and a minute portion of warmly heated duck. After complaining our money was returned and we ate elsewhere. Service poor. Tables need a clean and we will not return. Shame as previously have eaten here many time and had coffee. Sadly the standard has declined. I do have a photo of the meagre portion but its so embarrassing so wont share.

4 Thank bert015
OPOWallingf0rd, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
This issue was dealt with appropriately in situ and it’s a real shame to see that you have decided to follow through on your threat of Tripadvisor blackmail when because we refused your demands for further freebies.