“Another fine meal”

Ranked #16 of 58 Restaurants in Wallingford
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have eaten here a few times over the years and it never disappoints. The service is efficient and attentive without being over intrusive and the food is always excellent.
Our meals were nicely presented and very tasty and although we had 3 courses we weren't left feeling as if we had over eaten.
Great value for money, hard to find fault with this place! Keep it up!

There are newer reviews for Memories of Bengal

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my first time visiting. The restaurant wasn't busy for a Saturday night at 8pm, there were only 10 either diners. The food was excellent, but very slow. We waited more than 40 minutes for our starter to arrive. I was however, very disappointed to see that they only have a food hygiene rating of 3. It was reasonably priced too. I would visit again!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Memories of Bengal offers a good selection of traditional Bengali and other Indian dishes in a very pleasantly furnished and decorated restaurant, offering a conservatory as well. Service can be slow at busy times, however it is worth the wait.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have been coming to this building since it was The Chequers pub. Sadly that closed (the bar billiards table was one factor which made it for me the best in the village) and while the loss of a pub is a bad thing the gain of a restaurant like this is a major bonus.

This is not a post-pub place to soak up 11 pints of lager, although having had my 40th birthday party here & taken over the conservatory the staff and other diners were remarkably laid back when I descended not only with my pensioner parents but also the majority of my Rugby club (men's and ladies' sections) and at the end of dinner the traditional singing and doing a turn broke out towards closing time. Sorry again, hope no one was offended by the noise, we had the sense not to sing the more risque numbers!

I mainly use the place for much quieter family events, and find the Sunday buffet brilliant. On a recent occasion we were the only people booked for the buffet (all the other diners were eating on an a la carte basis) so rather than have hot trays out and going off we were treated to a chef's selection of food at the same price. There was no scrimping on this and while we finished the meal there was a risk we might not have so generous were the offers of additional items.

The food does include the student town staples, but also some interesting alternatives I've not seen on menus elsewhere, including a good range of seafood. There is one hot dish which is not for the faint hearted, even sturdiest phal merchant would find it challenging, but generally the menu is of the finely spiced and flavoured tone. The selection of raitas with the poppadums is smaller than it used to be but includes some special items including a very good garlic dip. Breads are also varied and cater for wide tastes.

Service is attentive but unobtrusive. I rather appreciate not being checked on every couple of minutes.

The only downsides I can think of are occasionally slow service; some poor quality lamb in a takeaway about three years ago; and some slightly misleading menu descriptions - the crab curry is actually whole softshell crabs not crab meat. I also went once for one of the Indian "tapas" evenings (I really love the starters side and when living in a British city famous for curries used to order a large selection to eat as a main course) but found that we were too late or early or that they just weren't doing it as advertised.

As I said in my review of another village gem the main difficulty with this place is that the Shanki-Li is so good as well it is difficult to choose which to go to for an evening out!

1  Thank Foggy-Balla
Reviewed 22 December 2013

top staff food very good all cooked fresh to order very good take a way service as well very good veterinarian menu nice and clean also nice decor