“A most enjoyable experience”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wallingford
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Together with a friend, my husband and I visited The George for a mid week break and it was excellent. A perfect location in which to explore this very pretty and interesting town. The staff were all very helpful, friendly and professional, and the hotel had a nice atmosphere, plus a perfect base to explore places further afield, with an excellent bus service.

We were using a Gold Voucher offer and our rooms were classed as executive on the ground floor overlooking the courtyard having a comfortable seating area which was festooned with beautiful flowers. Our rooms were quiet and most comfortable.

Would recommend and certainly visit again. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank elizabethStourbridge

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I have been slowly walking this footpath for the last few summers from the river source. This year we planned to walk from Dorchester to Reading and selected this hotel for its central convenience for our walk. We stayed three mid-week nights. The hotel is perfectly placed for public transport to and from almost wherever you plan to stop your walk. We found the staff extremely friendly, the beds reasonably comfortable and the food acceptable. Our evening meal was taken in the bar as the bistro appeared closed. The bar food was just that - bar style food only. Our room was well away from the bar and proved quiet for sleeping. Perhaps the rooms are somewhat overpriced but the location made up for that.

Room Tip: select a room overlooking the car park for quiet evenings
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank colin h
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The George has the friendliest staff. Nothing is too much trouble. The food is delicious well chosen and well cooked. I met up with a group of friends for lunch, but we've decided to come back in the winter and stay the night and make it a proper reunion!

Room Tip: I haven't stayed in the hotel yet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I visited The George after a days walking along the Thames path from Wallingford . The hotel is well situated on the High Street in the pretty market town of Wallingford. The effect of it's characterful building however was somewhat obscured by scaffolding that adorned the adjoining properties.

On arrival the receptionist was efficient but somewhat brusque (the same person's attitude was the same at checkout ). The single room I had booked was clean but a bit shabby and old fashioned - the bathroom was of a decent size but the municipal nature of the wall mounted soap /shower gel dispensers and instructional signs plastered on the walls pointed to a regime that was mean spirited and mistrustful of its guests.

The first thing I noticed was the noise. The courtyard directly below my window was packed with drinkers from the adjoining bar who got steadily noisier throughout the evening. The drunken guffawing and loud swearing was impossible to avoid. Basically, don't come here if you are looking for an evening of quiet relaxation.

The TV provided was cheap and tiny (14") and situated at the far end of the room making it impossible to watch from the bed without binoculars.

I was woken early in the morning by doors slamming outside my room as either guests or housekeeping made their way downstairs - some way of preventing the doors banging wouldn't go amiss.

The main negative is the price - I paid £100 for what was a barely a 3 star experience . It is way too expensive for what it offers . And worse, that didn't include breakfast, which a £12.50 add on ....so, I'd love to review the food but I can't. I ended up going to a cafe up the road and had an excellent full english breakfast for less than £5.00.

This is a tired hotel that knows it doesn't have a lot of competition and exploits its guests accordingly. Its a shame , because with a bit of thought and imagination, a less deluded/cynical approach to pricing and a more service orientated attitude to its guests this could be a lovely place to stay .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We purchased 2 Gold tickets in August 13. On the positive side the food was delicious and Ashdon and Calum, the waitress and waiter , were very efficient and very friendly. The bed linen and towels were very clean, however, the room was in need of updating, the walls were scuffed and grubby. The bathroom need refurbishment , the soap dispenser kept dropping off the wall and there was tape holding another handle on. A tv wouldn't normally bother us on holiday, but it is the world cup and Wimbledon, it would have been nice to watch for an hour as we got ready, unfortunately the tv was so old that there was a 2inch black line at the top and bottom and the picture was about
8inches high. When we were checking out I mentioned this to the receptionist, she agreed that there were still a few old tv's but most of them had been changed. The booking letter clearly stated an 'Executive Double Room' , I can only assume that we were given this room because of the price we were paying. It most certainly was not my idea of an executive room and had we paid full price I would have been disgusted.

Room Tip: A room that has been refurbished !
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Wallingford doesn't offer much choice in the way of hotels and The George shamelessly exploits this. Rooms are tatty, beds are lumpy, bathrooms are grim and it will hit your pocket hard. I've stayed here a couple of times (as have a number of colleagues) and a consistently poor picture emerges. Avoid if you can.

Stayed: June 2014
GeorgeWallingford, General Manager at George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear DrWolf,

I am deeply concerned to hear that your experience was below par and I would like to invite you to contact me personally to discuss the room in which you stayed. I assure you I will investigate as to the lumpy bed and grim bathroom and do my utmost to ensure that any future visits you make to us in our small town more enjoyable.

With kind regards,

Mrs Sarah Snell

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a family room here for one night to attend a family party elsewhere in the town (see review).
The room was in the eves but had two double beds, was clean, spacious and nicely furnished, no complaints.
The bathroom was a bit 'aged'.

As mentioned, we didn't eat here so no review of the dining/bar facilities.

However, I was looking forward to a good 'full English' breakfast which is often the trademark of such establishments. Despite the fact that we arrived for breakfast well before it finished, and were not the last to arrive, it was disappointing.
My full English had clearly not been been cooked freshly. Even the fried egg looked as if it had been under a heat lamp for a while. The bacon was inedible and the sausage dry.
My wife had poached eggs that were not soft centred.

At £150 for the bed and breakfast, this was not a cheap nightstop.

A limited experience but only worth an 'average'.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cameron P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallingford
Shillingford Bridge Hotel
The Swan at Streatley
The Swan at Streatley
#1 of 1 in Streatley-on-Thames
Holiday Inn Express Oxford

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!