“A pub that's not interested in new customers”
Review of King William

King William
Ranked #20 of 61 Restaurants in Wallingford
Price range: US$9 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A cosy country pub nestled in the Chilterns, with outstanding views on rolling hills. Inside it is traditional and inviting with a roaring log fire, wooden beams, beers served straight from the cask, good wholesome pub food and a warm welcome.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a lovely pub in a stunning location and unbeatable in so many ways, however, on 3 occasions the manager / chef has displayed the people skills and customer service of a disgruntled counter member of a fast food chain. On the first occasion, we walked 2.5 miles there for a lovely saturday lunch, only to be told we had missed food service by 4 minutes. The restaurant was still full of people eating, and we only wanted chips or a baguette, but even our story of the hike there got us nothing more than a packet of salt and vinegar crisps. On the other 2 occasions we have called to enquire about opening times, or which menus they are serving that day, only to be told quite abruptly that they are fully booked (which wasn't even what we had asked). There is ample seating outside but this was not offered to us. It just seems like the landlord isn't remotely interested in new customers, and it seemed nothing short of a complete chore to engage with us in any conversation. It's such a shame because the pub is a lovely walk for us with 2 dogs, but we feel reluctant to give them our custom now following their unhelpful attitude. It doesn't give much hope to the service we would receive had we even managed to get a table.

2  Thank hoolibar

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We dined at lunchtime Sunday 25th May 2014. A lovely lunch, lovely staff and thank you so much for making us feel so welcome, in fact, I think we were there from 1.30pm to about 9.30pm!!! A very long lunch! Delicious creamy garlic mushrooms, delicious slow roast belly of pork and the banana and white chocolate ice-cream was utterly yummy! The setting is quite stunning, very beautiful. It's so good to see a pub like this thriving again, I imagine all due to the hard work and commitment from Alan, Nicky and their team. Well done! Remember to book! Very popular. Will be back asap!!

1  Thank OxfordshireDolly
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We regularly dine and drink at this lovely pub set in one of the nicest country side settings I've been to. We always find the food , beer and service to be excellent , even though it can get very busy the staff always try their hardest to accommodate.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Ordered a steak which was very tuff. When I could eventually attract a waitress attention, nobody asked how the meal was , I explained the steak was tuff, I was offered an alternative but I declined as the kitchen had a 1 hour wait. A few minutes later another lady arrived and once more offered an alternative, I once more declined, her response was I will give you a discount on your steak? Her attitude was terrible. We continued with the meal and asked for the bill. The same lady arrived and informed me she had removed the cost of a sweet £5.00 against the £16.00 steak. I informed her she had to be joking. Her response was that as I had eaten some of the chips and the garnish on the steak that was reasonable. I said it wasnt. She stormed off staying she would take off the price of a pint, she returned a few minutes later with a new bill. She informed me she had taken the steak off but put the chips and veg back on! Her attitude was terrible and the previous review of Surly summed her up perfectly.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Had a lovely meal on Sat. Was a late booking but Alan and Nicky made room for us at short notice. Food was lovely, our table had a range of dishes veg lasagne, chicken in mustard sauce , keliftico and scampi. Food arrived quickly despite being a busy night and was delicious. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Its true the pub gets v busy especially in the warm weather but I think that's a good sign that people want to return due to the good standard of food and drink. Will go back asap.

1  Thank 14kentroo