“Relaxing couple of hours spent with these lovely animals”

Island Farm Donkey Sanctuary
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Wallingford
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We visit this Sanctuary every month sometimes two or more times depending what fund raising event they have on. There is something on most weekends, Table Top and Jumble Sale every other Saturday, Flea Market and Collectors Fair first Sunday of month, Craft Fairs 3rd Sunday of Month. As well as numerous events throughout the summer months. You can hire a pitch at any of these events for a small fee. The Sanctuary now has 120 donkeys along with goats, pot bellied pig, geese, chickens. It is an Independant Charity run by a band of enthusiastic volunteers, who need to raise over £9000 a month to run it they appear to know all the names of each donkey. Children love it as they can stroke the animals, there is a very reasonable priced tea room, open weekends and school hols. We love it there if we are feeling stressed the donkeys make us feel so relaxed, as they are so laid back and who can blame them as they are well looked after and happy. It is well worth a visit

5  Thank Valerie B

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We visited this donkey sanctuary in July. I loved seeing. It's very nice, and the donkeys seem to be very well taken care of. I had no idea such a place existed. Who'd have thought there were that many donkeys who need a home? There are so many of them. They had one baby. They said its mother came to them. They didn't know she was expecting when they took her in, so it's been fun for them to have a baby. It must cost lots to run. I don't think there's a charge, but you can make a donation. Visit if you can. It's worth seeing.

1  Thank lindaabc
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I visit here with my Grand Children when they are bored. There is a Cafe which opens on Weekends and during School Holidays with a clean Toilet and cheap drinks. If you can get the busy volunteers and staff to talk to you about the animals, then you will find out fascinating facts not only about the Donkeys but all the other animals, - pig, goats, hens, shetland ponies, sheep and Mules. The swallows have just left and they nested in the barn and were often seen feeding their young. Many of the Donkeys are award winners and have appeared on stage and at Easter services. Its free although donations are requested. They do supply anti-bacterial sprays should you stroke the Donkeys and then want to use the Cafe or on going home. Watch out for the electric fences. Large free Car Park.

3  Thank TonyPearce
Reviewed 29 August 2013

If you have 30-60 minutes spare, and like donkeys, this is a must visit. Firstly, it's free so the price is right. Although we think they should charge and we would happily have paid a couple of quids each (you can always make a donation!) And it's basically just paddocks full of donkeys, and some loose goats and geese, but it's cuteness nonetheless.

2  Thank lorraineofarc
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had a donkey adopted for my birthday Princess so we went to visit the whole place is just great we spoke to some of the volunteers who were amazing with there information I love seeing all the donkeys who were so well looked after I think they all do a brilliant job I bought the book Pollyanna which is well worth reading

3  Thank Jayne G