“Over-rated and over priced”
Review of Wowo Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uckfield
Wowo Campsite
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Over-rated and over priced”
Reviewed 29 May 2011

After hearing good things about this campsite, I was pretty surprised how poorly maintained this site was when I stayed there with my family. I can only imagine the management have become complacent, relying on the location to sell the place. It is indeed a lovely setting, but it has become really neglected.
The chemical toilet on our field was full (literally to the brim!) on Friday and by Sunday, still had not been emptied. The main toilet/shower block was very unclean, even though a cleaner left it as I was going in, after supposedly having cleaned it (I'm not fussy but much grimness left on the loo seat).
Everything was falling to bits - how the rope swings hadn't been condemned is a mystery (the ropes were seriously tatty and falling apart and a baby swing seat was splitting underneath badly).
An uncovered manhole in a walkway was lethal. If you managed to avoid that, a disused underground cable that had surfaced and been chopped off, with it's exposed rusting metal cores was a very scary thing to behold. Might be wise to get a tetnus booster before camping here.
There was a communal indoor relaxing area with table tennis and easy chairs, but needless to say that was just as poorly maintained as everywhere else - the net was held up with sticky tape, everything was dirty and the sofas would have been rejected from Steptoe's yard.
I wasn't convinced about the site's so called green credentials either - a motley collection of knackered old fridge/freezers for the campers use, probably accounted for most of the local CFC emissions.
On the plus side - the free soup and bread on Saturday was very tasty, although on ballance, hardly enough to offset the general feeling that I had payed a fair old wedge for a very substandard establishment.

If you still insist on coming here, you might want to bring a guitar as that will apparently gain you free admission at the weekend, if you have a communal strum and a bit of Ging Gang Goolie 'round the campfire. Although from the bits of performances I heard, I think I've worked out where the seemingly never ending supply of distributed firewood came from!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank camp99

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Okay so I did not expect 'glamping' but I did not expect rude, insolent service either. On 'checking in' I was lectured quite abruptly about my lack of 'protocol' for not visiting the reception before pitching up. On explaining that someone had checked in for me about six hours earlier and pitched my tent I received a grunt and a quick dismissal, no sign of the deserved apology. For a place that is hardly up there with the best campsites you would think the staff would be doing all they could to entice customers back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Odstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I stayed here in the past with the kids, I have to say that it was midweek and so we did get peace and quiet. The site itself is great and the kids love it. Unfortunately it seems that the prices have gone ridiculously high more recently, no doubt due to its popularity and the fact that there are enough people with much more money than the average person, willing to cough up that sort of dosh. As a local, I am really disappointed that they are doing this, it basically means that ordinary people with ordinary jobs and income can not reasonably afford a couple of nights camping at this site. I'm not naive, I understand this is a business, but in my opinion, it's never right when the money becomes more important than the customers. The owners have a nice piece of land there and they are within their rights to make money from it but they should perhaps think about how they can make this beautiful place more accessible to families and kids from less well off backgrounds. Right now I would say the prices make this place exclusive. I also agree with other reviewers that the facilities are poor in comparison to other much cheaper sites I've stayed on

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DaveandHAL
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Reading the reviews of disgruntled campers from as far back as 2008, I am disappointed to have to report that little appears to have improved since. We stayed for 2 nights and had fantastic weather that really did show off the stunning setting of the farm. As with other visitors, having your own camp fire was a highlight and the walk to the local pub was lovely. However, the issue of disposing of your own rubbish/recycling is a joke, if they really cared they would actually take a little more responsibility in this process. The washing facilities were also well below what you would tend to expect of even an average campsite and there was little evidence of any regular/organised cleaning. I really don't like to be negative but for the price I would strongly advise looking at the other alternatives in what is a stunning part of the country.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I do find it it difficult to understand why people are happy to pay £30 per night here for a family of 4. It is the most expensive campsite I have ever come across. The facilities are appalling, inadequare and dirty, when we were there the portocabin was flooded the whole weekend, the two toilets and 2 showers in there so cramped it was difficult to actually get in to the loo and close the door behind you. In the other decrepit toilet block, one of the 2 loos was out of order, the sistern broken and the floor swimming in water. There were 2 showers in this block flooded filthy and with mouldy shower curtains. (These are the only facilities for several hundred people on a busy weekend)
I really resented having to take home all our rubbish - carting a load of stinking food waste in our car, which had been sitting in the baking sun all weekend. Why on earth are bins and recycling not provided? A small amount of the mammoth profit they are making could provide this most basic service.
We did have a good weekend and the kids loved it as they have on all the campsites we've been on but the place is an outrageous rip off

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at wowo's. 2 mums & 5 kids (aged 7-11) tents, we payed the extra to stay on the Tipi trail and would say it's deffinately worth it. I'm not sure that my expereince would have been so positive if I had just been in a field. The Tipi trail gives the whole expereince that magical feel.
In addition to the campfire they supply wooden benchs around the fire for seating (although not very comfortable for the whole night so suggest you don't give up your camping chairs). There is also a rustic picnic table and grill stand for you to cook over.
There are rope swings galore and lots of wading through the stream to keep the kids happy whilst us mum's could keep an eye on them.
On the downside the compost loos get a bit rich come late evening, and of course everybody else's kids wanted to play in the babbling brook running through our pitch and swing on the 3 rope swings that surrounded us!
We will deffinately return next year - maybe stay in a yurt this time!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2010

In many ways Wowo is a bit of a con. Make no mistake - this is a capitalist enterprise. All the 'love the farm' stuff about taking your own rubbish home with you is more to do with the bottom line than with saving the planet - ditto the rudimentary shower facilities on site, and the boxes of wood being pushed at a fiver a time (we spent as much again on the wood as we did on the camping).

But the fact is that kids love Wowo. In fact, our kids love Wowo more than any other holiday we have taken them on. They love the freedom of running in the moat, of cooking marshmallows on the campfire, of exploring freely in the fields. They love the bluebell railway and going to play pooh sticks on the original pooh bridge in the Ashdown Forest. After taking her to 4 and 5 star hotels since, our three year old still always says Wowo is her favourite and asks when we can go back.

Wowo very simply offers a rare slice of proper freedom to cooped up modern city kids and as a short family break, it is right up there with the best.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uckfield
Buxted Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Griffin Inn
The Griffin Inn
#1 of 1 in Fletching

Been to Wowo Campsite? Share your experiences!