“Christmas at Buxted Park.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Buxted Park Hotel

Buxted Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Uckfield
Kyrenia, Cyprus
“Christmas at Buxted Park.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

From the moment we arrived, we knew we had come to the right place for an unforgettable Christmas experience. The staff could not have been more helpful, and all seemed genuinely happy to see us. Our room was very good, with a view across the lawn to the lake. Our dinner on Christmas Eve was excellent. On Christmas Day, lunch was superb, and the evening buffet looked absolutely delicious, but we just could not eat any more!! All together, a really lovely experience. We were sad to leave on Boxing Day. Congratulations to you all at Buxted Park.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your Christmas residential stay and that the food was excellent. It was very sad to say goodbye to the majority of our residents on Boxing day and I know many are already reserving their stays for 2014!

On behalf of all the team I look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park hotel when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
Broadway, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

A palatial mansion in 312 acres Buxted Park Hotel is the perfect location for a Christmas break. One of seventeen HandPicked hotels around the country my wife and I chose it for the sumptuous, richly-covetous and agreeable proportions, of tranquil surroundings and spacious suites; selecting the George V suite to romp around in and enjoy. Combined with fine food, excellent, but expensive wines, wonderfully relaxing surroundings, plus superb service from delightful staff our time celebrating the 2013 special Christmas-tide was outstanding.

Amongst the hotel’s annual offerings is the ability to organise weddings which with over one hundred and sixty per year must return a massive financial benefit to the hotel. I’ll return to this facility later. The grounds present a gorgeous asset and while the British weather prohibited walks on the estate at Christmas, we did manage a saunter to the seven hundred year old parish church of Buxted, located within the estate. From Christmas Eve to Boxing Day nothing faltered. Food remained perfect, service impeccable and importantly all evenings and nights peaceful.

Deciding at the time of booking (October 2013) to add a further day’s stay to accommodate a visit to the Pantomime in Eastbourne (Aladdin) we returned from an excellent matinee performance not to the usual hushed, undisturbed hotel, but to a busy, clamorous building with a limited use of public rooms, and a band being installed for the party. A civil wedding ceremony had just been undertaken.

The intrusion of the celebration upon the remaining guests was noticeable when descending the main staircase later for dinner. Guests were shoe-horned into what available space was available. The food was the usual high standard, but the gloss of earlier days had vanished. The noise from the revellers exceeded all acceptable hubbub, reaching an uproarious, deafening din when we entered our suite. Sadly its position above the lounge, that contained the band, induced the effect of nausea. After informing reception, staff responded to my wife’s, unequivocally explicit wish for other accommodation so that sleep would be possible. A sad end to the large, elegant, comfortable suite we had become accustomed to; a metaphorical slap-in-the-face for being friendly and courteous guests. Our flight to a small postage stamp sized room did no more than protect us from the racket issuing from the Coat of Arms lounge beneath. A cupboard-like standard double is no match for the grand George V suite. We felt victims. No longer part of the Buxted Park family. Christmas was well and truly over.

What we feel we suffered was negligence from the management. A tight-lipped approach about intrusive noise emanating from arranged functions, and no duty of care to customers. Had we been told of, or warned about the possibility that such an occasion was possible we would not have extended our stay. But we had no way of knowing, no chance to have an opportunity to accept or decline the risk; a choice preferred, but on this occasion denied. A reduced bill by way of no accommodation charge for the additional stay did little to diminish our distress, upset and severe anguish. Would we stay at the Buxted Park Hotel again? No.

I urge all future visitors to request all the information they can about booked weddings and noisy events. Why? Simply this: the hotel carries out at least three weddings every week of the year. Is there a time other than Christmas’ three day festive break when some event is not scouring the relaxing, peaceful atmosphere of the Buxted estate and house? Be careful not to become a victim of noise, I guess it’s always the things you should ask but don’t that needs to addressed when booking. Ignore at your peril. Oh, one last thing. Breakfast porridge can come with black hair in, mine did, and it went back to the kitchen post haste. We will never return...

Room Tip: Advised to check with hotel if any event is going on at the time of your stay. If quiet is important...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comprehensive review following your stay.

I was naturally pleased to read that you enjoyed your Christmas festive break with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disturbance from the wedding, we always endeavour to keep wedding guests and leisure guests apart and generally do this successfully. I will be checking with my reservations team to ensure that clear details are given to guests so they understand when private parties are taking place.

December is a popular time for weddings and we have managed to coordinate them with minimal fuss to other guests so I am bitterly disappointed that this event provided so much aguish to you both.

I would kindly ask that you contact me personally on your next stay so I may personally arrange your stay and ensure you receive the very best attention.

Romford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed at the Buxted on 21/12/13 for a one night stay. On arrival were meet by a very friendly welcome, we were given room 5 which was beautiful, large and very clean with lovely views of the grounds. The hotel all round is lovely and very clean, all the staff we meet were second to none, making you feel very special I can't thank them enough. The food was very good in the restaurant where we had a lovely evening. There is only a couple of grips, being a smoker there isn't a proper smoking area and once the doors close you can't get back in, also only bottled beers are sold and I feel a little expensive but that's just my view. All in all a lovely hotel and I would like to thank them for a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay.

I will certainly convey your kind words to all the team as clearly they ensured your stay was truly excellent.

We have recently completed the installation of our new Oriental bar which offers lager on draught so I am confident this will address your concerns on the offering of bottle beers only.

On behalf of all the team I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when I can assure you of the very best attention.

Reigate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We spent the weekend at Buxted in Dec with some friends for a special birthday treat. From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed, the staff are all very friendly and helpful. We had a delicious cream tea with a selection of teas in front of a glowing log fire,which was beautifully presented and served. From the moment we stepped into the dinning room for our evening meal we were
served by cheerful, professional staff who couldn't do enough to please us, we all chose different items from the menu and all the dishes were full of flavour and beautifully presented. We could hardly fit breakfast in but we managed and wouldn't have missed it…..it was a treat.
We requested rooms on the ground floor due to one of the party being unable to walk far, the rooms were warm, clean and the beds comfortable. This is our second stay with the Handpicked Hotel group and we will be booking our third shortly with the family. Christmas time was a bonus with the Christmas decorations in the main hotel and warming log fires. Well done to all the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your recent celebrations.

I was pleased to read the team looked after you so well and that you took advantage of our cream tea in front of one of our log fires.

As so many guest comment our breakfast is stunning and definitely not to be missed, the continental buffet is very comprehensive and with the traditional breakfast cooked to order a real treat!

Thank you for your praise which I will ensure is relayed to the team.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Having attended a friend's wedding at Buxted Park we found the venue itself as well as the staff to be generally fantastic. The wedding breakfast was excellent, and the service provided by the team throughout the evening was equally good. Special mention to the slightly unhinged French master of ceremonies. Lovely stuff. The rooms were immaculate and well equipped. A slight mark off for the breakfast. I suspect it suffered from being hot held as the eggs were terribly overcooked and it was all generally a bit soggy. I guess that's to be expected though and I did see numerous over guests ask for, and receive fresh poached eggs. Irritatingly I didn't think of that.
On the whole it was a wonderful venue, and from discussions with the groom I understand it was also very good value. Thumbs up all round.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review following your stay and friends wedding.

I will certainly convey your kind words to the team on how fantastic they were and how impressed you were with the service from everyone.

Marc our master of ceremonies is as you quote ‘Unhinged’ at the best of times and a real star at Buxted Park.

I will discuss your breakfast impression with Steve my head chef and please accept both of ours apologies for this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park when I can assure you of our very best attention

Forest Row, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We had our office Christmas Party last week at Buxted Park & we all had a great time.
The staff were all so friendly & helpful & the dinner & service was excellent. We all also stayed overnight & the rooms are lovely very fresh & well set out with very nice toiletries in the bathrooms. Everyone certainly enjoyed an excellent breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your Christmas Party.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed the evening and that the team looked after you so well.

Breakfast is a real treat here at Buxted Park a meal I strongly believe is the most important one of the day.

I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to the hotel in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We had our wedding at Buxted Park on the 14th December & we have to say that although we knew Buxted park would be great as it is a beautiful venue, they really went above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect from a venue. As someone who works in the private jet industry, I know a thing or two about service, and can say that the team at Buxted Park are a class act.

Their attention to detail was second to none. It started with the manager Jon bringing us our own personal plate of Canapés on arrival when we were stuck in conversation and continued throughout the evening. However, we have heard so many reports of other peoples experiences, including one guest who had to go back to her room to feed her baby, (without telling anyone) and returned to a waiter bringing back her meal which they kept hot while she was gone after spotting her leaving. Not to mention the presents that were continually taken up to our room without us even having to ask and the hundreds of other little things that make all the difference.

The food was simply amazing. Not only was our entire menu bespoke to us, but unusually for a large event, we found that it was actually BETTER than our tasting session. I am not sure how they managed to get 185 meals to taste so fresh, but having been to many large functions i can say that it is rare to get food that good when you are dealing with such large numbers.

The suites were stunning too! We stayed in the Winston Churchill suite, although as we had all the suites booked, we were still struggling to choose until the last minute as they all had their own unique features. It was a shame we didn't get to stay there longer! We will definitely be coming back for a relaxing weekend at some point in the future.

In terms of value for money, having looked at many other venues, Buxted park offered incredible value for money. We also looked at Hampton court palace and Goodwood and found them just too stuffy and "all about the venue" rather than about us and what we wanted.

However, I would say that the best thing about the venue is the staff. From the first minute we dealt with the venue, we never heard them say "that cant be done" despite the fact that much of what we had planned had not been done at the venue before (snow machines, hard walled marquee on the lawn, giant scalextric etc). There was always a solution, and we always felt relaxed and never had the fear of asking something out of the ordinary. The staff clearly love the hotel, and that really shows. If you want a stuffy waiter and a barman who serves without a smile, then this is probably not the place for you. All the staff had a smile on their face and had a chat with everybody, but never when inappropriate. They were always there, but i rarely noticed them. It was our sort of place, and the staff were our sort of people.

Thank you so much to everyone at Buxted Park from us and our 200 very happy guests!

Room Tip: The Winston Churchill Suite had the most amazing bathroom!
1 Thank James L
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest

May I congratulate you again on your recent wedding at Buxted Park Hotel.

I know from having the pleasure of working on the day that the team thoroughly enjoyed the whole event, from the marquee to the evening reception they are still talking about it now!

Steve our new head chef was particularly pleased to read that your food exceed your expectations.

You are quite right when you say ‘The best thing about Buxted Park is the STAFF’ all the team do things naturally with a warmth and willing to make things happen and most of the time in the background so guests are unaware, I am truly proud of everyone of them who pulled together to make your wedding day truly special!

On behalf of everyone I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uckfield
East Sussex National
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews

Been to Buxted Park Hotel? Share your experiences!