“Wonderful grounds”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Uckfield
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful grounds”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have now stayed at Buxted Park Hotel on two separate occasions, both times as a “wedding guest” and can therefore only review the hotel from this perspective.

I would imagine that certain independent visitors would be upset that on some occasions access to certain areas was restricted to “wedding party only”, but this should be expected from any establishment that specializes in wedding packages.

Firstly I would like to say that the staff on both occasions were delightful and should be commended for their polite and helpful manner. I could not find fault from the moment I arrived to the moment I left.

Buxted Park is set in beautiful parkland. The grounds are extensive, and if you are looking for a “little piece of England” with amazing greenery, this is the place for you.

Question to Management? Does the lake belong to the hotel? If so a path leading down to the lake from the hotel would be a wonderful feature. We “old folk” struggled to get down there! ;o)

Breakfast was self service and very good – everything you could wish for (apart from the fact they had run out of fried eggs when I arrived – but this was just bad timing on my part!) :o)

Now what I hope is taken as constructive criticism...

Unfortunately on this occasion I was underwhelmed by our room. To be fair, the bed and pillows were comfy, the towels were white and fluffy, there was plenty of tea and coffee, but there was certainly no wow factor – it was just adequate.

It was also unfortunate that when we woke there was no wifi internet connection available. Normally, this would not have mattered, but being a Monday morning my husband needed to access e mails for business use and this was not possible.

I believe the bar prices to be excessive. They are prices I would expect to pay for waiter service at dinner, not for standing queuing at a bar as a guest at a wedding. Unfortunately I was not alone in thinking this and it appeared to be a topic of conversation that could be heard thoughout the evening.

Having said the above, the place really is lovely – definitely worth a visit, and I am sure you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: If possible - Ask to see your room first – I know they have some amazing rooms – I think we were a l...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comprehensive review on Trip Advisor following your stay.

I was pleased to read that you found the team to be delightful and professional on both your stays with us.

The lakes are owned by the hotel and we regularly review our estate presentation and access and so will defiantly look at the paths.

Thank you for your praise on breakfast and your constructive feedback with regards to the bedroom presentation and bar prices.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park in the near future.

Jonathan Owen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Polish first
Stevenage
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Last Friday my nephew, Gregory Salmon had his wedding reception at Buxton Park & I can honestly say the quality of the venue & the attentiveness of its staff were second to none. As an example, my mother is severely gluten intolerant & has mobility issues - the staff made sure her dietary needs were catered for without fail & without fuss, even to the point of bringing out a selection from the buffet to her on the terrace (one of many with fine views) so she did not have to queue with the other guests. Throughout the day, every member of staff I spoke to were extremely friendly & couldn't do enough to help. So far as the venue itself is concerned, it is set in very nice grounds with superb views over the surrounding countryside - many thanks to all your staff, a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ZappaStevenage
Dear Guest

May I convey my congratulations to your nephew on his recent wedding at Buxted Park Hotel.

I was pleased to read your mother’s diet was recognised and the team looked after so well. We are blessed with many great team members here at Buxted Park who regularly go out of their way to ensure guests feel really special when staying with us.

Thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Crawley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Buxted park you did us proud. Great venue, great food and great staff.

A special thanks to Marc and Phil from the F&B team who took all the worry from us and allowed us to enjoy our day, and made it even more special, and for the chef to cook so many rumps of lamb so perfectly , I take my hat off to you.

Great job

Pete and Sarah

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Pete H
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest

Congratulations again on your recent wedding at Buxted Park Hotel.

Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your special day and that the team looked after you so well. I will ensure your praise is relayed to all the team and I know our Chef Steve will be delighted to learn that you found the lamb was cooked to perfection.

On behalf of everyone may I extend our best wishes and look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

What was most disappointing about this hotel that over the 3 days we were there, there were 3 consecutive weddings. We felt that the wedding was the priority for the hotel. Areas were for "wedding guests" only and we were told "you can't go in there". We felt rather like second class citizens. At breakfast, for example, instead of being able to eat in the lovely orangery overlooking the gardens, we were told that as hotel guests we were not allowed in there and were taken to a rather dark, small room at the back on both mornings we were there. We wanted to sit in the bar at the back of the hotel and have lunch and actually we did, but we were told we had to go in the other bar (crowded and full of pre-wedding guests). Eventually we were allowed to go in the bar at the back which leads onto the terrace, as long as we were out of it by 1pm for the wedding. It doesn't seem very satisfactory to have the wedding party being part of the main hotel at the expense of other guests. Our room was ok - quite expensive we felt for £198 a night. A little jaded. The toilet didn't flush properly. The toilet brush was broken. The bathroom was badly designed as the glass screen opened right onto the entry door and made it tricky and dangerous for two people using the bathroom together. No bath robes.
On a brighter note, the staff who serviced the bedrooms were really helpful and friendly. The staff overall were trying hard, maybe some more training would be helpful. They were very pleasant.

Room Tip: We were given a room right at the end of the corridor at the furthest point from the wedding parties...
1 Thank Priscilla W
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the impression you received from your stay.

It is very rare for Buxted Park to host 3 weddings consecutively and I appreciate how this impacted your stay. Since joining the team in November of 2012 we took the decision to only take 1 wedding on any day of the week in order to manage all guests expectations, I am sad to note that we did not achieve this over your stay.

I was pleased to read you found the team to be very friendly and helpful during your stay.

As the general manager your comments allow me to effectively assess my team’s performance and in turn ensure specific action is taken to maintain and improve upon our service and accreditations.

I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Buxted Park in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The lovely, wild, grounds, the Palladian architecture and the classic interiors (complete with chandeliers) are all good, but what made our trip REALLY special was the excellence of the staff. They really showed genuine warmth and thoughtfulness to us, and our fears that this would be a favoured haunt of Lord Snooty and His Pals were unfounded.
We had a fantastic time and would recommend this to anyone. A great stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your view on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you so well. At Buxted Park we wish all guests to use the hotel as if it was there home so feeling relaxed and at ease is very important.

On behalf of all the team I look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

we attended a wedding at the buxted park hotel, every thing from the wonderful grounds, the staff, the wedding meal,the rooms the whole atmosphere was amazing. I asked for my room to be ready early arrival, which it was and made the day a lot easier for me. All the staff were so kind and helpful, im looking forward to staying for a weekend again soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the wedding here at Buxted Park. I will certainly convey your kind words to all the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were disappointed to meet with a rather foul odour in our room that we could not quite identify. Upon searching for the origin my girlfriend was very upset to find the cause was in fact the bin in the bathroom that had not been changed. Inside was a beer bottle, some cigarettes and most importantly a used feminine sanitary product. I informed reception the next morning who took £20 off the bill as a gesture of goodwill but it didn't really make up for my girlfriend being very grossed out and not for our inability to feel very comfortable in the bathroom. It also made us wonder how thoroughly the rest of the room had been cleaned. Creeky floorboards above were not ideal for a good nights sleep but air con was welcomed given the heat. To be honest the quality of the room did not match the price tag. I must add that I found the staff to be very nice however. I would strongly urge the management to review their cleaning policy however - less reasonable people than myself may well have caused merry hell in the same situation.

2 Thank Ken_Charlery
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

May I reiterate my sincere apologies for the initial findings when you checked into your bedroom. I trust and hope my correspondence with you on this matter conveyed how seriously we take such matters and that since joining the team some 2 years ago thankfully I cannot recall such an incident.

With over 20 years as a hotelier I pride myself on the very fine service my teams provide for all guests and Buxted Park is no different. Our majority of reviews are very positive however when a mistake is made I am keen to put things right and a further gesture of goodwill has been made to you.

May I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Buxted Park when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uckfield
East Sussex National
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to Buxted Park Hotel? Share your experiences!