“OK” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 65 Restaurants in Uckfield
Price range: US$11 - US$15
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stoped here for cream tea on a tuesday lunch time. It was pretty quiet and we signposting is poor so we walked around a little until we found the tea rooms. It is "proper old school"(!) retro, kitch, untouched since the 70's. However looking past the decor the staff were nice and the tea and cakes were good. Amazing views from the terrace.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Owain J

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Very nice...shame about the manager.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family visited this place for a small wedding. The setting, the wedding venue and the general staff were great - the waiters and waitresses couldn't do enough for us and our 9 month old daughter e.g. heating food, providing highchairs etc. The food was good and presented nicely, whilst arriving quickly. However...there was a small problem in the shape of the manager. This was a man clearly set in his ways and determined to imprint his vision of a wedding onto the bride and groom - my father and his partner. From telling them when they could and couldn't have coffee/tea, to asking them to choose between champagne or sparking white wine, or instructing them on how to cut the cakes, this chap was incredible. I was amazed at how my dad and my new step-mother refrained from saying something. In fairness to the establishment, the wedding manager who liaised with my family was not in on the day - he was at a wedding. The final straw was when my wife and I were changing my daughter using the baby change at the end of the afternoon, as everyone was leaving. He was standing outside the door, watching us change our daughter. As we left, no 'thank you for visiting', or 'hope you had a wonderful day', or anything like that. In fact he was lucky I didn't say something. Unbelievable. I would return, but only if this guy was on holiday somewhere, such as Mars. He seemed to be from another planet so it may suit him well.

• Visited August 2014
ridgewood, east sussex
“Great venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Visited for a function on Friday night and was really pleased with the room, staff and quality of food and drink. Lovely setting, perfect for a summer function, food was cooked to perfection and piping hot considering there was about 70 people to cater for. Great size portions and a good selection to choose from.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My partner and I took my 82 year old Mum for lunch here. We sat outside on the terrace which, along with the whole building, needed much updating, but the views were outstanding, of all the South Downs. Waitresses Oriana&Francesca were friendly, attentive and professional. We had salmon fish cakes and breaded mushrooms to start, which were excellent. The best fish cakes I had tried, ever. We all had the steak&kidney pie, which arrived lovely and hot, 4choices of potato on the menu, and a selection of vegetables served at the table. Vegetables were slightly overcooked. We were asked if we were happy with the meal, and my partner who is very fussy said it was the best pie he has ever had. Pavlova and chocolate brownie desserts were GORGEOUS! Reasonably priced too. Water jug also served which was a nice touch. Overall, a lovely experience, wonderful service and food. Can't wait to return!

London, United Kingdom
“The leaflet mentions a gift shop which was closed several years ago”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The food is good but expensive. The leaflet indicates that there is a gift shop which sells wine from the winery, we were advised by a member of staff that it has been closed down for about three years. This venue should correct it's advertisments so that visitors don't come with expectations of being able to purchase wine and local produce etc. If you have to travel out of your way I would not bother to visit, but if you are local by all means go and have a look.

• Visited June 2014