“Service charge” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luna - CLOSED

Luna
Price range: US$10 - US$37
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
“Service charge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I ate there on June 6th 2014 around 2030 hrs.
They were a bit busy, it was a bit noisy (too many hard surfaces) but the food was OK and reasonable value for money. The staff were courteous and helpful when you could catch their eye which was very difficult as they seemed rather overstretched.
I was a bit irritated when paying the bill to find 10% service charge had been added automatically.
I asked that it be removed, which it was, as I think that a tip should be paid for exceptional service.
I'd had to ask for bread, failed utterly to obtain water which should be provided as a matter of course, and had to trail round the restaurant looking for the waiter to order drinks.
On reflection I considered that it wasn't the staff's fault they were overstretched so paid some cash into the staff pot. Management need to address staff levels.

Tony.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gruffyonline

UK
“Nice restaurant which promised so much, but ......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Over the last 5 years we have eaten out every Friday night, visiting close 100 different restaurants in the Brighton and central Sussex area. We like to try new places and this was our first visit to Luna and in all honesty potentially our last.

On the positive side, nice atmosphere, decour, set up, service, menu, drinks, starters & Calzone pizza.

I ordered the 'reliable' Italian classic of Lasagne. What a shock and disappointment! It was tastless, watery, sauceless, floury uncooked slop topped with melted cheese. I told the waiter that this was the first time in my life that I had ever sent food back. I always clearing my plate whatever the dish; but not this time. How could the chef get it so wrong? It was a classic 'Gordon Ramsey' moment and I suspect it was microwaved from frozen and put under the grill.

Clearly, prior to entry, I should have taken greater note of the advert in the window, 'Chef wanted'.

At least the waiter had the decency to take that cost of the dish off my bill prior to me making that demand.

In all fairness we will give Luna one more try (but not for a while).

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Steve L
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very enjoyable and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We called into this restaurant on a Saturday evening, not having booked. The welcome was excellent and we were seated and our drink order taken immediately. The staff were attentive and friendly and the food very enjoyable. Despite there being a large party already being catered for, we did not experience any undue delay in getting our dinner. We shall go again.

• Visited May 2014
East Sussex
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed the meal. Great food and good atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on a very relaxed evening

• Visited April 2014
London
“Brilliant, attentive staff and lovely food, relaxed atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've eaten here on many occasions and recently they catered for my grandfather's funeral.
The staff were amazing, and Sandro even came in on his off duty day to serve us. The chef cooked lovely food and the management were very sympathetic and courteous.
Fabulous restaurant, highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014