“Love it”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I love this place, the bar and decor hits the nail on the head for me. You can tuck yourself away and have sweet nothing whispered in your ears from your partner whilst having a cosy drink or a nice lunch. its quite big although you wouldnt think so from the outside. its nice and clean and generally a great place to hold functions or just have lunch/dinner..

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've eaten at Browns restaurant many times over the years but stopped last year because of a change in pricing and a drop in standards - sad, as this place used to be consistently good and one of my favourite eateries in Tavistock.
Recently however, I met up with a friend for 'high tea' in Browns and at £13.50 a head I have to say I was pretty impressed.

High tea is taken in the comfy seating area at the front of the restaurant. Here there is a rather jaded selection of leather sofas and chairs arranged in a limited space near a couple of fireplaces either side of the bar. More cushions and indeed new cushions would smarten up this area considerably and I can see that when the fires are lit during Winter it would feel very welcoming.

Tea arrived promptly, a big pot, accompanied by plentiful crustless sandwiches on brown and white bread; salmon, ham and mustard, cheese and pickle - 4 of each variety if my memory serves me right. Alongside, a small green salad (slightly difficult to eat elegantly and a bit unnecessary I felt), very good scones with clotted cream and jam, lemon cake that verged on being stale and excellent brownies. Our pot of tea was renewed when it became cold. Over the space of three hours we managed to down all but two of the sandwiches. Very enjoyable and would definitely return in the future for more of the same.

1  Thank TheVoicer
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Today popped into Browns for lunch,Have done this over the last few years, but today was different.Service was good,until I was shown to my seat and asked if I could wait for menus as all the others were being used.
I waited for my meal and read the paper for a while,I was given a basket with two slices of bread which used to arrive warm but these were cold.Also noticed that we are now given cheap Serviette's where was the lovely thick ones really dissapointed in that.It shoed me that the standard has dropped.
My meal arrived and was shocked to see that my plate was reall uh dirty,my risotto was too salty and and runny that was it for me I made a very polite and quite, complaint to staff and left without eating my meal .

2  Thank jennifer d
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This brasserie is part of Browns Hotel and as we had very much enjoyed staying in the lovely hotel in the past, but not eaten in-house, we were certainly looking forward to having lunch here. We were sadly disappointed, however. Although service was friendly, the food can only be described as terrible. A leek and potato soup that was truly awful and almost inedible, and a whitebait dish that sounded great on the menu but was simply foul. Both meals were left largely uneaten and our pleasant memories of Browns have been eclipsed.

Tip: pleasant setting for a drink, but avoid the brasserie food.

2  Thank WH0A
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Nice food, locally sourced in most cases; small portions, expensive, the service in the nice restaurant is not particularly relaxing.

1  Thank GoldenSparkly