“Browns Brasserie”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Browns Brasserie”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is now closed. As sad loss to the town. It has been taken over by Wetherspoons so waiting to see if they maintain the fabric of the building.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Summersweety

Devon
“Closed down!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

As the Monty Python sketch would say ' it's no more, it's demised, it's pining, it's an ex etc.......' Purchased by Wetherspoons.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Devonb_1957
“Love it”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I love this place, the bar and decor hits the nail on the head for me. You can tuck yourself away and have sweet nothing whispered in your ears from your partner whilst having a cosy drink or a nice lunch. its quite big although you wouldnt think so from the outside. its nice and clean and generally a great place to hold functions or just have lunch/dinner..

Visited January 2014
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit for 'High Tea'”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've eaten at Browns restaurant many times over the years but stopped last year because of a change in pricing and a drop in standards - sad, as this place used to be consistently good and one of my favourite eateries in Tavistock.
Recently however, I met up with a friend for 'high tea' in Browns and at £13.50 a head I have to say I was pretty impressed.

High tea is taken in the comfy seating area at the front of the restaurant. Here there is a rather jaded selection of leather sofas and chairs arranged in a limited space near a couple of fireplaces either side of the bar. More cushions and indeed new cushions would smarten up this area considerably and I can see that when the fires are lit during Winter it would feel very welcoming.

Tea arrived promptly, a big pot, accompanied by plentiful crustless sandwiches on brown and white bread; salmon, ham and mustard, cheese and pickle - 4 of each variety if my memory serves me right. Alongside, a small green salad (slightly difficult to eat elegantly and a bit unnecessary I felt), very good scones with clotted cream and jam, lemon cake that verged on being stale and excellent brownies. Our pot of tea was renewed when it became cold. Over the space of three hours we managed to down all but two of the sandwiches. Very enjoyable and would definitely return in the future for more of the same.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank sweetpea62
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointed with my lunch”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Today popped into Browns for lunch,Have done this over the last few years, but today was different.Service was good,until I was shown to my seat and asked if I could wait for menus as all the others were being used.
I waited for my meal and read the paper for a while,I was given a basket with two slices of bread which used to arrive warm but these were cold.Also noticed that we are now given cheap Serviette's where was the lovely thick ones really dissapointed in that.It shoed me that the standard has dropped.
My meal arrived and was shocked to see that my plate was reall uh dirty,my risotto was too salty and and runny that was it for me I made a very polite and quite, complaint to staff and left without eating my meal .

• Visited March 2014