“No Service - No Food!”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Having lived locally for 6 years, we finally got around to visitng Browns to dine. Well, we would liked to have dined but after asking for a table being directed to wait on a sofa, we were then abandoned. After the usual efforts of trying to establish eye contact, a raised hand, throat clearing and fidgeting, the direct approach to ask for a table and for our order to be taken was met by the staff turning away to avoid helping or becoming suddenly busy in their work. So although the menu looked tempting, we left to find sustenance at an alternative and much friendlier venue.

3  Thank WillyFogger

Reviewed 14 January 2009

A one night stop over at Browns Hotel was the highlight of my business trip to the South West. It was hard to fault either the room or the menu and it was certainly one of the best meals I've have had for a very long time and I loved the little surprises which came along as well. If I were to try to suggest improvement it would be hard to find fault.

Fantastic and I'll be back

2  Thank PortsmouthUK
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Over the last eighteen months we have eaten and stayed at Browns Hotel and Restaurant on a number of occasions. Having moved to the moors from cosmopolitan Brighton 2 years ago it has been an unexpected and marvellous experience to discover the comforts of Browns. Not only is the food good but the staff are friendly efficient and extremely courteous. We have had our wedding lunch, birthdays, anniversary and recently New Year at Browns and never found fault. The delicious new Brasserie menu is cooked to the same high standards but at more affordable prices. The only criticism I could possibly make is that the furnishings in the conservatory are a little harsh but this is highlighted by the exceptionally comfortable bar and restaurant area.

1  Thank WinstonCornwall
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I have not actually stayed at Browns, but I wanted to review my experience of dining there.
Food was good, but not good enough for the price. Service was not good, which is shocking for the price. The barman/waiter managed to be both intrusive (interrupting 3 times to ask if we had chosen our puddings yet!) and inattentive.
If you want "fine dining" in the area, try The Horn of Plenty or Tanners in Plymouth.

3  Thank PreservedKillick