“Appledown House is a small B&B and offers wonderful personal service.”

Appledown House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 25 Tavistock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Appledown House is a small B&B and offers wonderful personal service with Tea and biscuits on arrival and nothing being too much trouble. My wife and I stayed for 2 nights and wished we had been able to stay longer. Appledown House is situated a couple of miles from Tavistock with good access routes to the local area. (If you like a sightly challenging walk try Lydford Gorge - takes about 2 hrs - National Trust). Gill delivers a lovely breakfast with homemade products and home laid eggs from the 50 hens that they have. Very enjoyable.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms, the room with the 'conservatory' offers wonderful views across Dartm...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M W

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I found this place when I was on a family trip and had an excellent personal service, good clean rooms, excellent facilities, best breakfast ever.
I have just been on a business trip with A&S Constabulary and remembered why I wanted to go back again!!!
Best thing was the personal service by the owners and the local food.

Room Tip: There is a front room with conservatory, well worth it, amazing views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at Appledown House for 3 nights and it was such a relaxing and a peaceful stay.Gil was very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed the stay so much.The rooms were very clean and cosy & we felt like home.Will definitely recommend the place to friends.

Savan & Minoli.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My partner and I stayed at Appledown House while in the area for a family wedding. Before the trip I contacted Gil a couple of times to change check in times and to extend the booking and found her to be friendly and flexible with the times. We received a friendly welcome and were shown to a lovely clean room with stunning views and given some recommendations for things to see in the area and places for dinner. We had a great breakfast made up of local products with homemade bread and yogurt to accompany it. The room was great value for money and I would definitely stay again or recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My partner and I stayed 1 night on the way to Cornwall. We were given a warm, friendly greeting and shown our beautiful room. We were then presented with a lovely tea tray with a cafetierre, pot of tea and some delicious biscuits! The room was spotlessly clean, fresh and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was lovely. We paid a small supplement for a conservatory on the room which was well woth the extra. The view from it was for miles over the moors. Wonderful.. A good nights sleep in a comfy bed. Then a most wonderful breakfast, including home made bread, locally made jam and finest yoghurts. The eggs in our cooked breakfasts were from Marlene,one of the resident chickens and her feathered friends! Great stuff! There is an outdoor swimming pool but not the weather for us to use it. Excellent stay and really hospitable hosts. Would definitely stay again and would strongly recommend to anyone else. Thank you for a great time.

Room Tip: The extra premium for the room with the conservatory is well it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham P
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Just recently stayed with dave & gill at appledown house. It was a very warm welcome that I received from them both. I could not fault anything about my stay it was absolutely perfect place. I stayed in the room at the back of the annexe which was very cosy with a nice big bed. Washing facilities with a lovely walk in shower plenty of hot water 24-7. The breakfast was lovely with their own home made bread for toast and also fresh free range chickens eggs from their very own chickens in which they own about 70-80. I was greeted on my arrival with a nice hot cup of tea and biscuits. There is also a nice pub close by that do superb meals it is situated about 3/4 mile from the b&b in the Tavistock direction the pub is called The blacksmiths arms. I will definetly stay there again next year and would recommend to everyone. A real home from home.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My newly-wed wife and I stopped here for one night (our first night on honeymoon) before heading all the way into Cornwall for the rest of our trip. We found Appledown house to be a pleasant place to spend the night with our hosts being very friendly and helpful. Their recommendation to eat at the nearby Blacksmiths Arms was a superb idea.
We had the smaller room at the back of the annexe, the one without the conservatory, which for one night suited us fine, but be aware it is not much larger than the super comfy bed that inhabits it.
Breakfast the next day was amazing and plentiful: it set us up for what turned out to be the whole day exploring King Arthur's Castle at Tintagel.

Room Tip: Try and get the room at the front with the conservatory. The room we had at the back lacks the view...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple