“Fantastic!!”
Review of Rockmount

Rockmount
Ranked #2 of 25 Tavistock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We have just enjoyed a 3 night stay at Rockmount, the room was spotless with the best bed we've ever splept in, it was cleaned and tided every day with fresh towels. The superb breakfast was cooked beautifully, tasted great and was served hot in our room. It is only a short walk to Tavistock which is a lovely town with plenty of pubs and restaurants. Tony is great, he is keen for his guests to enjoy their stay and will do what he can to ensure they do. I will definitely recommend this B&B to family and friends and hope to visit again soon. As far as we are concerned there are no negatives!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 July 2013

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Tavistock, look no further. I highly recommend this delightful B&B which has beautifully appointed rooms and bathrooms which one can be completely comfortable in. I stayed in room 3 which has the most wonderful view of the viaduct - very special indeed. An absolute bonus for me as a lone traveller is the excellent breakfast served on a tray to my room - love it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had a pleasant stay at Rockmount - the owner is quite charming. There is good parking, the rooms are comfortable and the breakfast service in the room is always a plus for us.
The reasons for not scoring higher are:
- sliding door into the bathroom gave no privacy at all in a small room - it did not fit to the aperture and was largely clear with only one frosted panel. This is not pleasant with two people in a small room.
- there was no selection of teas in the room, only plain english with UHT milk
- there were items missing on the breakfast tray when delivered eg milk for our cereal
- our room had been serviced but we only realised the following morning that items had not been replaced in the room ie dressing gowns and fresh towels. We found the spare towels in the drawers which meant we did not need to call down, but there should be a checklist system when housekeeping
- we did not feel the room had been cleaned to a high standard - there was a used tissue, dust and feathers clearly visible under the bed from a previous occupant, and the shower head had a number of holes clogged up and not working.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tal27
Anthonyjameswalker, Owner at Rockmount, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

I'm so sorry your stay didn't live up to your expectations. I shall now consider marketing my bed and breakfast as a thoroughly mediocre hostel/borstal.

I must sat that upon arrival I always ask my guests to let me know of anything they may need to make their stay as comfortable and satisfying as I can and if Lapasng Souchong, Camomile, Earl Grey, Darjeeling or one of many others is preferred I will oblige, but to attempt to supply these in every room would I feel lead to very stale tea bags. As a matter of interest I do not supply English tea but Ceylon breakfast tea, I am not aware of any tea plantations in England. Likewise with the coffee machines I supply in every bedroom, because of the incredible range of coffee choice I have to keep to just a couple.
I am satisfied after some years now that the majority of customers are happy with the privacy afforded in the bathrooms with the sliding doors and be they small or large rooms the said privacy is the same.
I checked your breakfast order and In my own defence must inform you that you did not order milk but your letter infers other missing items that I am unaware of.

The missing towels were in fact the ones you managed to find secretly stashed away in the towel drawer. And finally, the offending dust and feathers you found clearly visible whilst under the bed have been removed, however I fear may appear again at some point.

Kind regards,

T Walker

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I recently stayed here as my mother was ill and only have a 1 bedroomed flat. Tony couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful. My room , which encompassed the garden was spectacular. Clean, comforfftable bed and the shower was amazing. I have stayed in 5* hotels that no way matched up to this B&B. It had everything I could wish for including wi fi and an i pod station. Breakfast was really tasteful and my poached eggs were suberb Tony, thanks.
I would recommemnd this to anyone thinking off staying on Dartmoor as it has everything on the doorstep. Tony couldn't have been more understanding as I had to stay another night and he went out of his way to make sure I stayed in the same room. Just ...... what more can I say 5* accomodation with the personal touch and everything I needed was catered for. I am disabled but found this wasn't a problem at all. So a big Thank You Tony x

Room Tip: Rockmount has two downstairs rooms if stairs are difficult, parking was easy and plentyful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

When I read the reviews on Tripadvisor about this place I was a little suspicious, because it seemed like an ideal B&B and I couldn't believe there was nothing to improve so I had my doubts. Eventually we booked it and stayed there 3 nights and it turned out to be the ideal place indeed! Clean, comfortable, top facilities and all very tasteful. Tony seems to know exactly what his guests appreciate and without being overtly present he is there for you when you need him. This level should be the reference for top B&B acommodations and if more of these B&B's are around I would like to know where they are so I would never book in a hotel anymore.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Stay here every six weeks normally for 3-4 nights. Everything is on your doorstep and this standard should be the norm across the country sadly Rockmount is not duplicated elsewhere. Nothing is too much trouble, free wifi and good wifi at that, parking quality rooms. Why go elsewhere, Tony is only too happy to make your stay perfect!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Rockmount was lovely. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Tony, the owner, who was very friendly and welcoming. Our room was immaculate and spotless, and was cleaned every day of our 3 night stay. There was a good selection for breakfast, and the cooked breakfast was lovely. It is in a good location, being only a couple of minutes walk from the centre of Tavistock. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Rockmount to anyone and would definitely stay there again. I would also recommend Taylors Restaurant, where we had a lovely meal, and the Cornish Arms Pub. To sum up the Rockmount is a fabulous B&B, and a big thank you to Tony and his staff, who made us feel very welcome during our stay there.

• Stayed: May 2013