“Fantastic B&B and Great host.”
Review of Rockmount

Rockmount
Ranked #2 of 25 Tavistock B&B and Inns
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic B&B and Great host.”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Would recommend the Rockmount to anyone wishing for a lovely room and warm welcome from Tony. He was always cheerful and smiling and genuinely concerned that you had everything you need. Breakfasts were lovely and freshly prepared a great start to our day! The toiletries provided were good quality and the tea and coffee topped up regularly. Can't fault anything about our stay and having such a lovely friendly host made our stay memorable. Would definitely stay here again thank you Tony.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pat P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Combeinteignhead
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I booked to stay here but did not notice that the check in time was 16:00 - 18:00. I finished my last meeting at 21:00 and thought I would call the hotel to let them know I would be there shortly, only to be told my room had been cancelled. I confirmed that they had an available room but was told that check in was 16:00 to 18:00 and as I had not shown up my room was cancelled. I asked what they recommended I do as I was stranded without a room and was told "It is not my fault" and I wouldn't be getting a refund. Technically they were correct but it didn't help me (and I had paid for the room after all!) Perhaps they could have recommended an alternative and maybe even given me the number…
Attitude is everything and THESE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HOSPITALITY BUSINESS.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Marcus E
Rockmount, Owner at Rockmount, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Marcus E, lets get the facts correct! You called me at 22:30 to inform me that you'll be arriving at about 23:30 which is totally unacceptable when one has to consider other paying guests and the possibility that they would be disturbed, not withstanding the clearly displayed checkin times. Fortunately my reviews do suggest that my service is what people need and expect from a B&B. I probably would have let you stay or suggested an alternative if you hadn't been so arrogant. Happily, most of my customers don't have your issues with my check in times. May I suggest that in future, when booking rooms with other venues, have a read of the arrival times and if you can't make it either don't book there or call them at an appropriate hour to see if it's ok you arrive late.

Thanks, Mr Walker.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We would recommend the Rockmount to anyone who wants a very special place to stay. The moment Tony opened the door to us we were made to feel so welcome (the perfect host). What excellent taste he has our room was beautiful the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in, the bathroom had toiletries supplied , there was plenty of tea and coffee in our unexpected dressing room which was a bonus. Breakfast was delicious loved that we had it brought to our room, actually loved everything about our very short stay, need to find an excuse to go back to Tavistock wouldn't even look for another B&B we would choose the Rockmount every time.keep up the good work Tony.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maxine H
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We selected Rockmount on the basis of the reviews published on TripAdvisor and that was such a good decision.
From the moment we arrived, a little earlier than expected, we were made welcome by Tony who whisked our luggage upstairs before we'd almost had time to say who we were. His hospitality [and breakfast 'cheffing' skills] and those of Phil were just lovely.
The bedroom was striking in black and white and with state of the art appliances including iPod dock, Nespresso machine [hurrah], snazzy kettle and blinds that really worked,. The view across the roofs of Tavistock to a somewhat 'mizzled' Dartmoor was lovely as well.
The black king-size bed was furnished with soft white sheets and we both slept like logs.
We should also mention the bathroom, because they can be such a let down in hotels across the country, but not here. An extremely effective power shower, large soft towels, back lit mirror and Molton Brown toiletries; what more can you ask for? Yes - a missing shower-cap, but that's not exactly a deal-breaker!
Breakfast was served in our room on the suitably provided table and that worked well. The bacon and sausages were so good that we set off on a search for the butcher supplying them before we left Tavistock.
Rockmount is growing and this time next year will have a further ground-floor room, with access-ramp for people with mobility problems. We wish them all the best in their endeavours as we've stayed in several B&Bs in and around Tavistock for many years, and this was easily the best on all fronts.

Room Tip: Some rooms are smaller than others, but they are so well designed that you probably won't feel s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pollywouldbe
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at the Rockmount during a 2 week trek through England. We were only there one night, but it was by far the most comfortable and beautiful room we encountered on the whole trip. Most of the time I find that rooms don't measure up to the comforts of home (and I don't expect them to), but this was the exception to that rule. From the views to toiletries, everything was superb. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, If it wasn't a continent away for me, I'd go back and stay a week every summer!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FarmerGrrl
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The moment you arrive Tony welcomes you to his stylish, modern and comfortable B & B which is right in the heart of town. He is a very good host and is always willing to help. His professional style is mirrored in the tasteful decoration, beds, breakfasts and provision of local information. We relied on his dining recommendations and were not disappointed. As previous reviews have shown it is difficult to find any fault here.

Room Tip: Room 1 seems to have the best views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cresfox
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Tony runs this compact B and B with consummate professionalism.

Small but perfectly formed, this B and B is just what you need.

Comfy everything, modern, and surprisingly....no...unusually good breakfasts. Try the Lobster Thermidor (only kidding, but I'd bet he could fix it)

Room Tip: Just go there.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Saddletramp1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavistock
Tavistock House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Tavistock
Lewtrenchard Manor
Lewtrenchard Manor
#1 of 1 in Lewdown

Been to Rockmount? Share your experiences!