“Nice hotel but needs some modernisation”
Review of The Bedford Hotel

The Bedford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Tavistock
Headcorn, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but needs some modernisation”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights in room 34. We liked the room, it had a nice light and airy feel to it and the bed was comfortable, the shower ok, but it would have been brilliant if it was a power shower as although it had a lovely big head it lacked the power of a power shower. We had plenty of hot water.
We felt that it could do with a bit of decorating to freshen it up, paintwork, wallpaper, new bedding and new curtains etc and it would make such a difference.
We would recommend it, but this would make a massive difference to the overall look.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Nice quiet location away from the main Plymouth centre, Didn't try the evening food as looked abit posh for my tastes, but a few nice pubs nearby with good pub style food, The breakfast was very nice tho.
Plenty of parking onsite, easy to find hotel.
Rooms clean but did have a cold shower one night after staying on top floor room.
Nice helpful staff and free wifi on request and an excellent price

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed here this past weekend for my husbands birthday, the room was so dated and walls had cracks all over ceiling, not exactly the romantic view I expected being laid in bed. Then we went to have a shower in the morning and had no hot water! Waited 20 min then managed to have a Luke warm one, as I got out the shower doors lodged and it wouldn't open as they were broken , so my husband had to get me out nightmare! Our evening meal was average but every other customer was sending there steak back very upset with how bad it was. Honestly I wouldn't come again, location was good, but I'm sure you could find another 3* with higher standard of quality. By the way this is my first ever review but felt I wanted anyone that booked that it defiantly was disappointing .

• Stayed August 2013
reading
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here on our second stint of our coast to coast cycle ride and thoroughly enjoyed our visit, we had just cycled 36 miles and mostly up-hill so when we arrived at the Hotel and given our keys we were very happy with the room. The bed was so comfy and the shower head so large and an absolute delight. We had room 21 and didn't find the noise from outside a problem. We ate outside the hotel in the evening but had breakfast the following morning and it was lovely and the sausages were fab. All the staff we met were very nice and helpful, really nice hotel and I would highly recommend it. Oh there is now a fan in the room if you do get hot!!! The staff let us leave our bikes in a very safe place so thank you.

Room Tip: We had room number 21-the nice thing with this is no-one below so don't worry about the very cre...
UK
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay at The Bedford after visiting friends in Tavistock and would happily recommend it. As the exterior and history suggests it is very much a 'classical' hotel - you may not find all the mod cons but you do have a rather nice lounge for an after dinner drink and good conversation. It gave me the impression it was how a quality british hotel would have been years gone by in a good way.

When it became known that i was staying at The Bedford the family of my friends (and friends' neighbour) were very envious as they have driven past many a time but never stayed there. The staff are very polite and helpful which compliments such a building. It is true that the doors are locked 11pm but you do get your own front door key! I am guessing that the reason for this is the clientele that the hotel attracts are not likely to be dirty stop outs.

Rooms were a little basic but they were clean and tidy; whilst the food and drink were first class. A great place to chill out and relax for a few days - even if I was probably the youngest guest there by about 40 years.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Cornwall
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We were given room 21 which is at the front of the hotel above a bus stop and taxi rank. It was exceptionally noisy, so much so that we got very little sleep. We could hear town clock sounding every hour through the night. There was no air conditioning and the room was warm. This must be the only hotel to use sheets and blankets rather than duvets. Our room was spacious but very dated, in fact the whole hotel could be compared to my grandmothers house. Very dark and very old fashioned. We didn't have dinner at the hotel but we did order breakfast in bed which was lovely. If you stay at this hotel, ask for a room at the rear otherwise, like us, you will not be able to sleep.

Room Tip: A room at the rear.
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed here for business purposes and wouldn't stay again.

I arrived late and the back entrance was locked. Went to the front entrance and that was locked. After knocking on the door for a while a guest from the hotel let me in and said all the staff had gone to bed. There was a phone on the desk which when I picked up and dialled 0 to contact the staff it only rang the other phone on the desk. I then called the number on their website and was told that my room key was left under a traffic cone in the car park. The staff hadn't informed anyone of this and therefore assumed I was telepathic.

When I finally got to the room, I was so disappointed. The room was really dated and felt dirty. I do like modern rooms and therefore the traditional style is not for me.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Marie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavistock
Tavistock House Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Bovey
Two Bridges Hotel
Two Bridges Hotel
#1 of 2 in Two Bridges

Been to The Bedford Hotel? Share your experiences!