“We return time after time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tavistock Trout Farm and Fishery

Tavistock Trout Farm and Fishery
Dorset
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“We return time after time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

I was saddened to read the last report posted on this site. Myself, my husband and our dog have been coming to Tavistock Trout fisheries for the past 8 years and we probably visit on average about 8 times a year. Believe you me we would not return if we thought that the owner was 'abusive'! Abigail has worked tirelessly to improve the farm & there has been many improvements made during the time that we have been visiting. The cottages are fantastic and you find everything there that you need. Attention to detail in the cottages is 2nd to none. Not once have we ever encountered anything but a warm friendly welcome from Abigail - we are normally greeted with a bottle of wine & welcome pack in the cottage on arrival. The scenery is brilliant & peaceful. Abigail will bend over backwards to accommodate your every need. My husband is a major passionate fisherman and believe u me he has caught some whoopers here. What is great is that there is a children's lake that permits kids to have a go and they are guaranteed to catch something. There is free tea & coffee for all anglers & that is served in a beautiful lodge overlooking the lakes. The 'farm yard' area has animals rooming freely. There is a great children's play area and also a really nice gazebo with bar-b-queuing facilities. The icing on the cake is the pub across the road. Park up and walk across the road and enjoy some locally produced beers. We are going back for Xmas this year as in previously years. Abigail decorates the cottages & puts Christmas trees within them. Abigail works tirelessly to make this fishery successful and I think that the one negative comment on this site does not ring true to our experiences. We really do enjoy our time staying at the trout fishery & I hate fishing but am happy to walk into the local village which is lovely or visit the beauty room which is located on site down at the fishing lodge. Please don't be put off by the comment made by another visitor on this site - everybody has their own opinion but my experiences are nothing like there's. I would also like to mention that there are several signs when entering the fishery that clearing state it's closed on a Monday & it's on their website and all their information flyers as well!!!!!

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Countrygirl099

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Abused By Fishery Owner - Abigail”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

My son & i Visited the fishery on 26/11/2012 as my son was visting on holiday from scotland and i thought i would take him fishing to these lakes to give him something to remember his holiday, well he has got somethging to remember his holiday .
we arrived at 2.20pm the office was closed which is pretty normal, i filled out a 2 fish permit and put it through the door which is also pretty normal as owner turns up intermitently and you pay her, after about an hour and 1 fish another angler appeared on the lakes and we chatted with him, he told us that the lakes where closed on mondays ( inspite of the fact he was fishing !!), we where unaware of this and there was nothing telling us that it was closed, this angler obviously new the owner and rang her and he told us she would be back shortly and that we may aswell carry on fishing, being a little concerned that he told us the fishery was closed i stopped fishing, the owner turned up in a 4x4 driving like a maniac and constantly blowing the horn, she then procedded to get out of the car and started screaming and shouting at my son, i arrived and she started screaming and shouting at me being downright offensive and abusive, i pointed out to her that her behaviour was unacceptable, this made no difference and she continude to be abusive.
i pointed out that she was embarrasing me in front of my son and that it was a genuine misunderstanding - this made no difference she just carried on shouting and being downright offensive, i pointed out that i had filled out my permit as normal and put it in the box - this was a 2 fish permit, we had only fished for just over an hour, in an effort to punish us she then charged me for a full day ticket/6 fish bag £38, i explained to her that her shouting etc was no way to treat customers, i am the MD of a local business and just could not understand why anyone in business would attempt to humiliate, embaress and degrade their customers in such a way, a massive over reaction, this fishery is to be avoided as the owner abaigail obviously does not appreciate the business that people bring and feels she can treat people in this fashion and get away with it, i am an experienced angler and have fisshed all over the UK and never been treated in such a way - There are plenty of fisheries in Devon who appreciate their customers and the business they bring - THIS ONE IS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS your business is not appreciated and the owner obviously feels they are doing you a favour - WRONG.
We checked the fisherey on the way out and could still see no signs saying that the fishery was closed on a monday - We can read inspite of the owners comments of "you 2 obviously cant read" - DONT GO THERE GO WHERE YOU WILL BE APPRECIATED

Visited November 2012
28 Thank Albert M
Tavistock, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

what a lovely way to buy your fish, its great. fresh as you like and what a difference to be able to buy and eat your fish in the same day.

Visited June 2012
St. Dogmaels, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Pleasant place to stay in a good location to visit both Devon and Cornwall.
Cottages are good, the newer ones are nicer as ours was a little dated. Some new curtains and bedding (brown is not good in a cottage) would make a world of difference, and sawing the tops off the four poster beds would make the bedrooms lighter and seem bigger.

Well equipped kitchen, couldn't fault it and resident cat, Louie was a joy, quite expensive when you add the cost of the fishing and a shame there is not a deal if you are staying on site.
Weather was not good and fish were not biting so Husbands a bit grumpy, but we girls went off and visited Buckland Abbey, Cotehele & Morwelham Quay. Tavistock town is a joy and the people so friendly, lovely market and craft stalls.
Fishing is not for me so I probably would not go again, but suspect the men would just to catch the ones who got away!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank JoHutchings
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Tavistock Trout Farm and Fishery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

A patch of quiet. My hubby fishes and I sit in the quiet to read or go feed the pigs, and ducks. Friendly staff

Visited March 2012