“Enjoyed my first visit - surprised at negatvive reviews”

Tavistock Trout Fishery
Ranked #8 of 25 things to do in Tavistock
More attraction details
Owner description: Holiday Accommodation in The Dartmoor National Park. Fly and Float Fishing for Trout. Fly Fishing Tackle Shop. Farm Animals.
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Went a couple of weeks ago and caught a nice 3 pounder - after 3 hours; and then later one weighing 14 lbs (my biggest ever). I fish in Hampshire a lot - the lakes there and the River Test; and these Tavistock fish are really good quality fish!!!

There was no one around when I first arrived; and a friendly lady at house on the premises gave me directions.

I saw Abigail later and she asked me to move my car (I had parked in her space apparently !!!). It was a bit of a trek back and an unwanted distraction, but I found her very helpful and pleasant. I saw her after 3 hours of no fish, and said - cheekily; "Are there any fish in here?" She nodded, yes, and reacted well. She later arrived with her daughter and photoed my 14 pounder. I will return. £50 for 3 fish on big lakes is, I suppose,expensive, but the fish are good quality - so money well spent..

1  Thank paul h
in 4 reviews
"pub"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 6 May 2013

My husband and I planned a bank holiday weekend away with my parents where we planned to take our young son Fishing where he could catch a nice fish and eat it for his dinner. My father had the leaflet for Travistock Trout Farm and it advertised itself well, including a Children's Lake. We turned up and sadly were turned away. The children's lake was not ready yet, despite being advertised. Though there were a handful of 'grown up' fishermen, and a secluded area of lake could have easily been found to avoid any potential but unlikely disruption, we were told we could not fish. But that of course something could be 'sorted out' for tomorrow. We took our money else where to another nearby fishery and had a brilliant time. They were willing to accommodate our family, and my son had a brilliant time! Wont be wasting my time or money at Tavistock Trout Farm again. Its no way to run a business.

10  Thank Jamie U
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Came here on Thurs 28th. Have been here a few times before, have always found it difficult to catch here but that's probably my level of skill.. Abigail made us feel very welcome and was completely charming as she always has done in the past.
The facilities here are excellent with a self-sevice kitchen with free tea, coffee, cake and biscuits and also a toilet which is clean. I have to say this is very much the exception rather than the rule at most fisheries and a very welcome addition to the experience.
A friend stayed at the Trout and Tipple a fortnight ago, sadly the weather was too bad to do much of the fishing he came down for, but we may come again to stay one of the lovely cottages that are available to rent on the fishery at some point in the not too distant future.

1  Thank Molarmaster
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I visited Tavistock trout fishery as part of a fishing weekend encompassing 4 fisheries ( the other 3 were in Cornwall ) and I have to say this place was the best by far.
I visited it despite a negative comment and was so pleased I did
Contrary to what I read I also met the owner who was nothing but pleasant
The fishing shop is well stocked and there are free refreshments including buscuits and cake ! It has a toilet which is clean and works ( regular trout fishermen know this is not always the case)
There are 5 lakes and I caught in 3 of them
Overall I had a great day and was made to feel most welcome to the point that I am considering renting one of the holiday chalets for a prolonged stay in the new year
I whole heartedly recommend this venue - its a beautiful place and time well spent

2  Thank Reigatebob1
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I was saddened to read the last report posted on this site. Myself, my husband and our dog have been coming to Tavistock Trout fisheries for the past 8 years and we probably visit on average about 8 times a year. Believe you me we would not return if we thought that the owner was 'abusive'! Abigail has worked tirelessly to improve the farm & there has been many improvements made during the time that we have been visiting. The cottages are fantastic and you find everything there that you need. Attention to detail in the cottages is 2nd to none. Not once have we ever encountered anything but a warm friendly welcome from Abigail - we are normally greeted with a bottle of wine & welcome pack in the cottage on arrival. The scenery is brilliant & peaceful. Abigail will bend over backwards to accommodate your every need. My husband is a major passionate fisherman and believe u me he has caught some whoopers here. What is great is that there is a children's lake that permits kids to have a go and they are guaranteed to catch something. There is free tea & coffee for all anglers & that is served in a beautiful lodge overlooking the lakes. The 'farm yard' area has animals rooming freely. There is a great children's play area and also a really nice gazebo with bar-b-queuing facilities. The icing on the cake is the pub across the road. Park up and walk across the road and enjoy some locally produced beers. We are going back for Xmas this year as in previously years. Abigail decorates the cottages & puts Christmas trees within them. Abigail works tirelessly to make this fishery successful and I think that the one negative comment on this site does not ring true to our experiences. We really do enjoy our time staying at the trout fishery & I hate fishing but am happy to walk into the local village which is lovely or visit the beauty room which is located on site down at the fishing lodge. Please don't be put off by the comment made by another visitor on this site - everybody has their own opinion but my experiences are nothing like there's. I would also like to mention that there are several signs when entering the fishery that clearing state it's closed on a Monday & it's on their website and all their information flyers as well!!!!!

4  Thank Countrygirl099