All reviews places to visit home away from home working farm on arrival judith pubs
Reviewed 26 May 2016

We stayed with Judith and Peter for five nights, and it could not have been better. The double room, the en suite facilities, the dining room, the living room, and the outstanding breakfast were all top notch. The breakfast was especially good, starting with fresh fruit, and then followed by locally made sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. In addition, there is a small refrigerator for our use.

Peter and Judith are exceptionally friendly and informative, knowing just attentive to be, but not more.

An added bonus to staying here: there is a wonderful ancient pub down a lane only a couple of miles away, the Royal Inn, where you can have a true "local" experience, chatting with locals without the maddening distractions of music or TV.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
JudithB759, Owner at Higher Woodley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thank you very much for your review. Peter and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and all that our lovely location has to offer. we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

Higher Woodley farm is a home from home experience, judith and Peter are very welcoming people and make you feel very relaxed and at home, my room was extremely comfortable and well presented as was the en suite bathroom, the house in general is extremely nice with stunning views, judith and Peter where very accommodating in my requirements of secure parking for my 7.5t lorry, judith makes a stunning breakfast I just wish I had a better appetite in the mornings so I could double my Intake of her English breakfast! The place is an utter pleasure to stay at! I hope I need to stay there again

Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for your wonderful review and that you enjoyed the views over Devon and Cornwall. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2016 via mobile

This was a perfect 2 night stay. Judith and Peter were the friendliest hosts, with Judith going out of her way to ensure that I had black pudding for breakfast. The room was very comfortable and I enjoyed very good night a sleep during my stay. My wife and I enjoyed a glass of wine or two outside in the gardens and the only sound to be heard was birdsong. Breakfast was lovely and there was a lot to choose from. A wonderful stay and a return stay in on the cards. I would recommend this b&b to both family and friends.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review. We were delighted to welcome you and very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

We had some initial trouble with our GPS in finding this working farm, but our hostess Judith had given us some instructions which we were able to follow quite well. At the Gulworthy cross roads. Gulworthy school is on the left, turn right here signposted The Copper Penny Inn at Chip shop (a local inn where in olden days miners exchanged their hard earned chips for goods). At the Chipshop Inn turn immediately left follow this lane for approx 0.5 mile then take the first right signposted to Higher Woodley Farm where our farm is 0.5 mile on the right.We arrived just after the evening milking had been completed and were greeted by a very pleasant young lady (daughter?) because judith couldn't be there until a bit later. Tea and very generous portions of cake, then the genial farmer, Peter and his son came in. Had a pleasant chat and got some advice about where to eat...lovely old 15th century Royal Inn at Horsebridge. Easy to find.Separate review. Would have liked to watch the milking but Peter said 5am start so gave that up. Room was very clean, comfortable and views across the farm and a neighbouring farm.our excellent hostess Judith attended to breakfast, there was far more on offer than we could cope with. A lot of local produce and was 1st class.Would have liked to stay in the area a little longer, but couldn't. So many names in the vicinity have been replicated in Tasmania, Australia..Tamar River Valley, Launceston,Devonport..Judith suggested that local miners had found their way to Tasmania, taking the names with them. Sorry to leave. I left a large waterproof jacket in the wardrobe which I didn't miss until the next evening. Rang Judith, she had been trying frantically to ring us, but without success.she very kindly arranged to send it to our hotel in London. Unbelievably, it arrived the next morning. what great, obliging service. Judith would have had to drive into Tavistock I assume, so it was much appreciated. An excellent farm stay, but at the end of the day, it is the people who make a stay good or bad. Nice people at Higher Woodley Farm and an excellent base to see the surrounding country (and the milking if you can get up with the sparrows)

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2015 via mobile

We have stayed with Judith & Peter over quite a period of time now and their standards are excellent. The breakfast is the best and in any combination u require. The bedrooms are not massive but are always well appointed and clean. We hope that we will be able to use their services for many years to come.

Date of stay: September 2015