“A Little Gem”

Price range: US$32 - US$65
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Local cuisine, View, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Galley is Salcombe's longest established restaurant, having first opened in 1962, and has the most wonderful view from its dining room.Where possible we use traceable fresh local produce and have an extensive menu including Salcombe Lobster and Crab, and a great selection of fish which is all from day-boats landing in Plymouth and Brixham. We also serve Westcountry steaks and chicken, and 'Gressingham' duck, and we also serve a selection of vegetarian dishes.We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We had lunch which was delicious and good value. My husband thought it was the best crab he had ever eaten ..he is not a man to easily praise. The service was very friendly but not intrusive. It was not a busy lunchtime but still had a good atmosphere. Not an obvious location but worth searching out. Even if you don't get a seat with an immediate harbour view ...it is worth the visit for the food.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Firstly.......a Mojito in anybodies language contains rum, sugar in some form and lots of muddled mint & lime, topped up with soda......it is not a clear liquid tasting only of soda and with a slice of lime sitting on the side of a glass, its just not!!! When I complained, our waitress took the drink away and bought it back with two leaves on mint inserted....!

I went to the Galley specifically to eat a lobster, having never had one and having a dislike of any shellfish (for no rational reason).

I chose the Lobster thermidor and had an 18 oz all to myself........I actually quite liked my meal, the lobster was well cooked, sweet meat and a delicious sauce......I can't compare it with anything else at this stage but I will let you know.

My partner had the monkfish in a sauce containing king prawns and was hard pressed to find any of these.

Just average

Reviewed 8 June 2014

A wonderful restaurant with views over the water from some tables. Varied menu, all fresh and local. Excellent service. Booking recommended.

1  Thank Diveflag U
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had planned to eat at The Galley during our week in October but when we arrived in Salcombe were disappointed to find the restaurant closed due to flooding, with no future date for opening. We are hoping this will be open next year and look forward to returning.

We ate here last year and it was fabulous. Sue was a very lovely hostess.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have been coming to this restaurant on and off for nearly 50 years! It has always been a great place. Such a wonderful setting and the food is excellent with an interesting menu, not all seafood. I liked the fact the restaurant was slightly less formal than it used to be. We went there, starving hungry, in shorts after an extended boat trip on a gorgeous sunny evening and they didn't mind. Next time and there will definitely be a next time, I'll dress up more!

1  Thank bluecastle