“1st Experience of the Galley in Salcombe”
Review of The Galley Restaurant - CLOSED

The Galley Restaurant
Price range: US$32 - US$65
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: View, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Galley is Salcombe's longest established restaurant, having first opened in 1962, and has the most wonderful view from its dining room.Where possible we use traceable fresh local produce and have an extensive menu including Salcombe Lobster and Crab, and a great selection of fish which is all from day-boats landing in Plymouth and Brixham. We also serve Westcountry steaks and chicken, and 'Gressingham' duck, and we also serve a selection of vegetarian dishes.We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Superb meal, steak cooked to perfection....menu is excellent......surroundings .... Tables on top of each other you can hear the next tables conversation..,.., suggestion ...... Lovely waitresses ... Their dress could be better to suit the quality of the restaurant. And without a doubt the toilet needs to be of the same cleanliness and quality of the restaurant itself.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I cannot believe the last review on 20 July - why are people so condescending and patronising about food and restaurants!? If you are on vacation in Salcombe and you want a value for money meal in lovely surroundings with really polite and helpful waitresses looked after by Sue and Sam then this is the place to go. My brother and our respective families have been coming here for years and it never disappoints. OK, it is not fine dining or cool brasserie ambience but it is a lovely place to eat with food prepared, cooked and presented as you would expect when seeking a seafood restaurant in Salcombe. I won't bore you with the finer details of my meal last week but the scallops as a starter as always were excellent, my wife had the smoked haddock rarebit, again wonderful, and the monkfish and sea bass main courses were delightful. If you want a criticism, it would simply be could the starters be more generous as the taste is glorious. We will return and so should you!!

1  Thank talladega2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We pre-booked for a birthday dinner and were given an excellent table and very mice chocolate cake. Service was friendly and efficient.

The galley is something of a Salcombe institution. Food is generally pretty good. I had a 22oz lobster thermidor which was perfectly cooked and prepared. Excellent.

Scallops in pea soup was my starter and it was rather odd. Perfectly nice scallops, but the pea soup was bland and the lumps of shallot (?) in it were odd: the whole thing woefully under seasoned.

Both ladies had the lamb which they pronounced very nice, but I thought was overcooked and my father in law who would happily eat only fish, had the brill, which he enjoyed. Bottle of 2009 Cantenac Margaux was £54, which was OK for this kind of place.

The galley would not survive in London, as the cooking is not really up there, but down here with fresh seafood it is just the job. Popular and busy on Friday and Saturday, booking probably essential in the season. Overall recommended.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We had lunch which was delicious and good value. My husband thought it was the best crab he had ever eaten ..he is not a man to easily praise. The service was very friendly but not intrusive. It was not a busy lunchtime but still had a good atmosphere. Not an obvious location but worth searching out. Even if you don't get a seat with an immediate harbour view ...it is worth the visit for the food.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Firstly.......a Mojito in anybodies language contains rum, sugar in some form and lots of muddled mint & lime, topped up with soda......it is not a clear liquid tasting only of soda and with a slice of lime sitting on the side of a glass, its just not!!! When I complained, our waitress took the drink away and bought it back with two leaves on mint inserted....!

I went to the Galley specifically to eat a lobster, having never had one and having a dislike of any shellfish (for no rational reason).

I chose the Lobster thermidor and had an 18 oz all to myself........I actually quite liked my meal, the lobster was well cooked, sweet meat and a delicious sauce......I can't compare it with anything else at this stage but I will let you know.

My partner had the monkfish in a sauce containing king prawns and was hard pressed to find any of these.

Just average