“Eating out in Salcombe” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Galley Restaurant
Price range: US$32 - US$65
Cuisines: British, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Galley is Salcombe's longest established restaurant, having first opened in 1962, and has the most wonderful view from its dining room.Where possible we use traceable fresh local produce and have an extensive menu including Salcombe Lobster and Crab, and a great selection of fish which is all from day-boats landing in Plymouth and Brixham. We also serve Westcountry steaks and chicken, and 'Gressingham' duck, and we also serve a selection of vegetarian dishes.We look forward to welcoming you.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Eating out in Salcombe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My other half treated me to a 'special' meal in Salcombe last Friday and took me to The Galley Seafood Restaurant. Wow what a fabulous meal, everything was absolutely perfect. The staff are friendly and helpful, service was great, attentive but not 'in your face'. The food was beautiful, I had crab bisque as my starter, I thought I had died and gone to heaven, followed by lobster thermador, this couldn't have been bettered it was absolutely stunning, finishing with my favourite creme brullee, a real loud 'crack' on the sugar confirmed how good that was. This restaurant should be a must on the list when visiting Salcombe we can fully recommend it !

• Visited August 2014

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Words aren't enough !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Although we've eaten here in the past some years ago our return visit this evening was certainly worth a few special words of thanks. Two lovely crab starters - bisque and linguini - we're swiftly followed by two absolutely delicious lobsters - Thermidorr. We were greeted in such a welcoming and friendly way and that was continued by the different ladies who served us perfectly in spite of also helping other diners including a party of 19 ! We wish we could return again soon but it's a bit of a journey from Gloucester ! Don't believe any of the criticism already posted. None of it rings true !

• Visited August 2014
United Kingdom
“Good and not so good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure where to go with this.
We went mid week but with a very busy town in peak holiday season you would still expect it to be much busier than it was.
First impression that decor wise it all looked a bit tired. I am guessing here,but I wouldn't mind betting that the restaurant has been in the same hands for a long time.
For starters my wife and I had a seafood platter for two. No wow factor here and at £18.00 I thought that the portions were quite small and not very well presented. A large chunk of delicious bread, no doubt from the excellent bakery next door, saved the day.
Our main course of a rib-eye stead and loin of lamb was much better. In fact I can honestly say the steak was one of the best I have had for a while, great meat, perfectly cooked. My wife's pork was also delicious.
I can't remember what I had for dessert so that says it all really.
Bill was not over the top and service was ok and the girls very pleasant.
Just not a restaurant that will stay in the memory bank for long but ok.

Visited August 2014
birmingham
“Average restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

we where advised to vist by a friend, we booked and asked for a window table which we got, we ordered starters and asked for the childrens food to be bought out with the starters. They bought out our starters and said the children's food was coming. They then proceeded to bring out food for a table of 8 people before bringing the childrens food. i complained to the waitress and she agreed it was bad. I had steak and it was overcooked, my husbands monkfish was great.

Visited July 2014
United kingdom
“1st Experience of the Galley in Salcombe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Superb meal, steak cooked to perfection....menu is excellent......surroundings .... Tables on top of each other you can hear the next tables conversation..,.., suggestion ...... Lovely waitresses ... Their dress could be better to suit the quality of the restaurant. And without a doubt the toilet needs to be of the same cleanliness and quality of the restaurant itself.

• Visited July 2014