“Simply the best fine dining in Salcombe”
Review of The Galley Restaurant - CLOSED

The Galley Restaurant
Price range: US$32 - US$65
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: View, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Galley is Salcombe's longest established restaurant, having first opened in 1962, and has the most wonderful view from its dining room.Where possible we use traceable fresh local produce and have an extensive menu including Salcombe Lobster and Crab, and a great selection of fish which is all from day-boats landing in Plymouth and Brixham. We also serve Westcountry steaks and chicken, and 'Gressingham' duck, and we also serve a selection of vegetarian dishes.We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We booked well in advance for this restaurant to gain our choice of table. Simple touches and good service are the life blood of the restaurant. Topped off with perfectly cooked food. We all ordered different dishes and we all loved every mouthful. Fish is their speciality and I wasn't disappointed. Perfectly portioned and seasoned food. Plus just enough space left for one of their delicious desserts. Great food, service and a lovely ambiance for fine dining. Definite a must for that special meal out in the town.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We found ourselves staying at the South Sands Hotel (which is fantastic). However, as we were only here for one night we decided to opt out of the hotel dining (which looked superb) and take a look at Salcombe Town Centre. After reading reviews online of where to eat, we had a few ideas. One of which being The Galley, although no 55 was our first choice based upon reviews online. We are now very glad no 55 was fully booked. My wife had the mixed seafood pate, wrapped in salmon and I had the crab linguine...wow, faultless. The main courses did not disappoint either; pork fillet-outstanding and the rib eye steak; cooked immaculately. Staff were attentive and service was slick. I must not fail to mention the owner, who has ran the restaurant for 16 years and welcomed us and our four year old son. He had chicken goujons, that was obviously a tender chicken breast surrounded in home made breadcrumbs with light and fluffy chips. I can see why people return, we certainly will and look forward to it. They even stocked Peroni! Full marks, The Galley, well done!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Another fantastic meal from use and her team. It really is a gem of a restaurant and always a very walk welcome. Can't wait till we are next back in salcombe to come back.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived on spec at 630 pm and luckily got a table at the back of the restaurant. The views at the front looked stunning- obviously need to book these in advance. Mojito for £7.50 disappointing. Add a little more rum please and don't chop up the mint if you're not going to add a straw. I kept getting a mouthful of mint leaves! Scallop and pea starter very nice indeed, followed by tasty very well cooked smoked haddock rarebit. The crab linguini was not good- cold, far too al dente and frankly tasteless. We should have sent it back but the poor waitresses seemed stressed enough already. This is not the smartest restaurant in town, but clearly very popular with long term visitors. Would go back but would book table at front overlooking harbour, avoid cocktails and linguini, and stick to the more traditional seafood choices.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My other half treated me to a 'special' meal in Salcombe last Friday and took me to The Galley Seafood Restaurant. Wow what a fabulous meal, everything was absolutely perfect. The staff are friendly and helpful, service was great, attentive but not 'in your face'. The food was beautiful, I had crab bisque as my starter, I thought I had died and gone to heaven, followed by lobster thermador, this couldn't have been bettered it was absolutely stunning, finishing with my favourite creme brullee, a real loud 'crack' on the sugar confirmed how good that was. This restaurant should be a must on the list when visiting Salcombe we can fully recommend it !