“Probably best in Summer”
Review of dickandwills

dickandwills
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$26 - US$62
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Waterside brasserie serving seafood, shellfish and war country beef with a fusion twist!
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Ate here at end of November with my wife and a couple of friends. I suspect that if I'd managed to get a good table here in June, I would have given a near 5 star rating regardless of the food, but if they are to maintain their 'ranking' out of season the standard of food needs to improve a little more. The Fish was OK, the chips were served in an interesting miniature bucket but they were spoilt by being far too greasy. Similarly, the bread and butter pudding was OK but lacked any sort of wow factor that would have me making a return visit in a hurry. The level of service from the waitresses was very attentive, but no doubt helped by the fact that it was a Saturday lunchtime and only one other table has guests eating!
Overall, a good experience but go for the location rather than he food!

There are newer reviews for dickandwills

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Ate here a while back with my wife and a couple of friends, it's a lovely setting and the service was good. I have eaten here twice now I didn't enjoy it the first time but my wife liked it mainly because it's a nice place. As you would expect being in Salcombe overlooking the sea it's not cheap, I don't mind this at all but you need to back it up with decent food. I had a fish salad, which basically consisted of a mound of rocket I love rocket by the way but expected more than the tiny piece of fish I received. The flavours of the dish were not great either and my wife's paella was average at best, I cook a far better one myself and I am no Roux brother. In summary they really need to work on the food as it's not very good.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The entrance is rather modest at street level and one wonders where the restaurant is as you descend to the seafront level. Welcoming bar just inside the entrance but we were taken straight to our table. Very quiet when we arrived but livened up later. Waitresses were efficient and friendly. Menu had a good selection of fish but other things too. My fish and chips were excellent, my partners Thai fish curry with black rice was unusual but the spices overpowered the fish. All nicely presented. Will come back in the summer to enjoy the terrace.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

End of October in the warm autumnal sunshine out on the deck, overlooking the estuary - what could be more perfect. We ate here years ago, different owners then I think. But coming across it again during a wander in Salcombe was too good an opportunity to miss. Just crab sarnies and chips and a glass of Sauvignon blanc; yum yum. The crab was fresh and delicious (maybe a touch too much mayo) and the chips were proper ones. None of this thrice cooked chips nonsense, which just means the chef cooked them earlier and they have to be reheated. We shall return for a more grown up lunch when back in South Devon.

1  Thank florakaty
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We have just had a meal at Dick & Wills - our first time eating here. We are a family of four with 2 daughters aged 14 & 12. We all had the most fabulous meals - we ate starters & main courses - too full for desserts. We mostly chose various fish fishes - all delicious but one of my daughters had Asian beef for starter & a fillet steak burger for main course which were also delicious. Great atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff & a great view in daylight! They even let us borrow 2 umbrellas to get home with as it was pouring down with rain when we left. We will return the umbrellas tomorrow I promise & we will definitely return to your restaurant the next time we visit Salcombe.

2  Thank Sally S