“Excellent food and service with fantastic estuary view!”
Review of dickandwills

dickandwills
Ranked #10 of 41 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$25 - US$61
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Waterside brasserie serving seafood, shellfish and war country beef with a fusion twist!
Reviewed 6 October 2017

My husband booked a table by phone a month before our visit and mentioned that it was our Wedding Anniversary. When we arrived we had a friendly welcome and were shown to our table. We had a table by the window with a beautiful view of the estuary. The staff were attentive and available if needed. I was trying to decide which wine to have, the waitress offered for me to try the wine. The wine came with a wine chiller and was beautifully chilled. For starters I had prawn cocktail and due to me being a coeliac I asked whether they had any gluten free bread to have with it, which they did. The prawn cocktail was very tasty and a generous portion, the prawns were very fresh. My husband had a Szechuan Pork Sung starter which again was generous and very tasty. For mains I had the pan seared seabass served with Olive Oil roasted Potatoes with Onion, Garlic, Tomato and Local Buttered Broad Beans, genuinely this was the best seabass I have ever had! The flavours were out of this world a "taste sensation". My husband had Chargrilled Gourmet Prime Fillet Steak Burger, he could not fault it. The food was beautifully presented and all the portions were generous, Although my husband had booked over a month before they had remembered that it was our anniversary and they brought out a pudding to share with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate sauce. The whole experience - atmosphere, food and staff were excellent. In our experience, this is by far the best restaurant in Salcombe. We cannot wait to return!

1  Thank Janine M

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

I booked here for my tenth wedding Anniversary, I was a little concerned by some of the previous reviews being mixed, but I needn't have worried as the Service, Food and view over the Estuary was first class! I ordered the Schezuen Pork starter, I can truly say it was one of the best things I ve ever had, the flavours were amazing as was the rest of the meal. They even remembered I'd booked it for our Anniversary as they gave us a complimentary dessert with 'Happy Anniversary' written in Chocolate sauce, a lovely surprise.
Thoroughly enjoyed by both of us and we will be returning next time we visit Salcombe.

1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Fortunately it was a sunny day so we were able to sit out on the terrace, but even inside there is a wonderful view of the estuary. We went for lunch and they serve tapas. We had five dishes between us, pardron peppers, calamari, crab, hake, serrano ham with manchego and roasted figs. We could probably have eaten another. All delicious especially the fish dishes. We would definitely return. There is a larger menu in the evening. We decided to go back the next day with friends only to find the restaurant is closed on Sundays.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I went here for dinner following other recommendations. The restaurant is quite sophisticated with background music and a large outdoor terrace overlooking the harbour.. I was a little disappointed that the menu wasn't more extensive for dinner but the food was fresh and good quality. To start with I had an heirloom tomato salad and some black olive bread. The tomatoes were lovely with a nice dressing, however the slices of raw garlic on the top were too overpowering. The bread made a good accompaniment. My main course was delicious sea bass which was beautifully fresh and perfectly cooked. Dessert was a lemon curd and lime pannacotta with a raspberry coulis - this was served in a mini kilner jar with some strawberries on the side. It was a refreshing end to a nice meal. Service was friendly and efficient.

1  Thank JackieMcK2014
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

This is the second time we have eaten at Dick and Wills. Alas this was disappointing compared the the first. I had the fish and chips as they were exceptional last time, but no so this time. Way way to salty to the point that it was not enjoyable and I LOVE fish and chips. My wife had the fish finger sandwich, which contained little or no fish, very disappointing. A real shame as I was really looking forward to eating again. Not sure we will try again during next years holiday. Really like Salcombe