“The Restaurant at Slacombe Harbour Hotel”

Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Salcombe
Stone, Staffordshire
“The Restaurant at Slacombe Harbour Hotel”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked dinner last Saturday with a level of expectation after the recent re-opening and with hope that the legacy of the stuffy and scruffy Marine Hotel was now being left well behind. The food was excellent, fresh local produce and a strong slant on fish and seafood. The service was faultless - great to see a young motivated team trying as hard with great enthusiasm. The decor is wonderful, strong New England themes and once the building work is completed the views will be amazing.
Its important that the Hotel sticks to its intentions, it was a shame that a few boring "oldies" can dictate to all who were there and demanded that the music in the restaurant should be turned off. This Hotel needs to move on from the old Marine and its boring traditional clientele - this Hotel needs to be young at heart to offer luxury and a lively atmosphere. The Hotel is modern and Salcombe needs the lift and a new destination for that special but lively meal.
We also witnessed an appalling incident when a old customer (one of the turn off the music complainers) rudely berating one of the young staff in a quite inappropriate fashion - just because the card machine would not get a prompt signal. This innapropriate behaviour from a person who was intolerant and selfish quite spoiled our meal
We strongly recommend the Hotel, the Restaurant and the Bar area. Keep the faith and please understand that many of us are looking forward to the final finished product and a lively atmosphere.

Room Tip: Always book a sea view room and use the restaurant. Have patience with the new Hotel as it completes...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. It is always diffilcut when a hotel of this level of tradition reopens after a major refurbishment and we very much try to cater for all tastes as much as is possible. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for four nights at the end of August 2013. The hotel itself has been refurbished to an impecable standard and it is located in a stunning part of Devon. The service we received throughout our stay was second to none and although the car park was not available, this did not inconvenience us at all. The food was 5* quality and also good value. Furthermore, we enjoyed the personal touches such as the complimentary drink upon arrival and complimentary gin and sherry in the room. The staff here were excellent to us throughout our stay and made us feel extremely welcome. However, my opinion has since slightly changed as when we left the hotel and checked out, we were 30 minutes into our journey home when it dawned on me that I had left about six unchecked lottery tickets in one of the drawers in our room. I therefore telephoned the hotel straight away and asked the lady I spoke to if she could check the room and kindly post them to us-which shouldnt have been a problem in light of the service we had experienced throughout our stay and the fact we had not long left, to which she took my mobile no, told me she would check and get back to me straight away. However, an hour later I had still not heard anything so telephoned the hotel again and spoke to another lady who was aware of my predicament and informed me that they were waiting for housekeeping to get back to them....however,I have heard nothing since then. Whats so disappointing is we have subsequently checked our numbers (as we play the same ones each week) and we had won a small prize on one of the tickets. As such, this compounded by the fact no-one even had the courtesy to call me back has really made me question the honesty and integrity of the staff. But this is by no means a reflection on all of the staff that work this hotel, and I have tried to not let this incident spoil our wonderful weekend we had here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us but I am of course also extremely concerned by the lack of care taken by not returning your call. I can assure you that this situation has been dealt with as a matter of urgency and I would like to apologise on behalf of the team here for this ever occurring. When you are next planning to come to Salcombe, please contact me directly and I will ensure we look after you personally. Many thanks again and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
caversham
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We booked an estury view room with a bath, but when we got there we were confronted with a shoe box sized room and a minute bathroom with no bath. the bed room was only 20' x 11' not exactly what is portrayed on the web site, in fact only one of these rooms is actually operational. The room was exceptionally hot as it is in the roof and there is no a/c so sleep with the doors open or sleep when the pub down the roaad stops its music. The shower room will only fit one person with a gap of 18" between the sink and getting into the shower all for £295 which is on par with a suite at the Berkely Hotel in Knightsbridge for cost psf. on confronting front of house about this the manager was already downstairs in the bar in a meeting, so not the only unhappy couple we thought. The manager was exceptionally appologetic and I actually felt sorry for him being put in tis position by the owners, he did offer us aother accomodation at another hotel as we said we would rather face the 4 hour journey back home than stay in something the size of our own ensuite, after consideration that on a Sunday evening i was going to go hungry we stayed and were offered any wine on the house that we drank that night. He handled the situation admirably and the whole staff are quite exceptional considering the position that they have been put in. The decor of the place is very good and we were warned about the scaffolding which didnt bother us from the room but onec again the views from the restaurant are obscured by a curtain hidding the scaffolding so beware the computer generated images on the web site. Food was very good kept simple and the fish was cooked as we asked for so enjoyable. As for the reviewer that got upgraded to a suite we couldnt book one for any weekend to the end of the year and on trying to book a suite never appeared (not finished me thinks). This whole place is a work in progress and my beef is with falsley advertising rooms which are not completed though the top floor cubby holes although with the best bit being the balcony are still going to be £295 when finished. On checking out we did receive the bottle of wine and a full refund on the room which neither of us expected and was a pleasant surprise, so when the place is finished we will book the larger room and stay again. Full marks to the staff who were obviously dealing with more moaners than just us.

Room Tip: Any Estuary View room not on the top floor if built
2 Thank qprgary
Thank you for the feedback, I am glad we were able to deal with the issues for you and that you will return once all of the work is complete on the site. I am also really pleased to hear the positive feedback on the team as obviously this is very import for any hotel and we are really proud of everyone here. Currently our top rooms re not available to book online, hence why you could not see them, but please do call us and we will be more than happy to book one for you. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We just had lunch here on the way back from a trip to Tavistock, having visited the hotel years ago. It was very old-fashioned then, but has now been transformed and is excellent. The food was well prepared and delicious and the prices were reasonable. I would definitely stay in this hotel when all the building work is completed - that's probably going to be another few months, I would think. They are building a Car Park for the hotel, which will get over the Salcombe problem of never being able to park anywhere and the situation of the hotel, overlooking the estuary is wonderful - there's always something interesting going on. Would certainly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Make sure the Car Park is open if booking in for a few days
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
We really appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel, and are so pleased you enjoyed your visit. We will indeed have parking facilities at the hotel once fully completed but currently we offer a full valet service to get over this issue. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Living locally I rarely visit Salcombe however after having had a fantastic meal at the Salcombe Harbour Hotel this week I am determined to visit again and enjoy what all the visitors who come to South Devon enjoy. There are many reasons people travel far and wide to South Devon and one of them should definately be the Salcombe Harbour Hotel.

The staff strike just the right balance; friendly and helpful without being intruisive or over the top. Nothing is too much trouble.

The food was fabulous, tasty and very well presented. I would particularly recommend the Jetty Scotch Egg starter.

The decor is tasteful; creating a restful and relaxing ambiance throughout. We had an opportunity to view one of the rivier view rooms which was of the highest standard with an unbeatable view. Nice touches such as a balcony basket containing books, blanket, binoculars etc., rain forest shower head and White Company toiletries in the bathroom create a luxurious feel to the room.

The hotel is not quite finished but this shouldn't affect your stay. The rooms, restaurant and lobby areas are all finished to a high standard and the continuing renovations behind closed doors. The cinema room is a great idea.

I would definitely eat at the restaurant again for a special occasion and it would be a treat to stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: River view a must.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind words, it is always lovely to hear when someone has enjoyed at visit to the hotel and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
SW England
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Wow - Wow - Wow - this place has it all - breathtaking location, beautifully presented rooms with a personal touch, serene decor, a mouthwatering choice of menu and friendly, attentive staff. Can't wait to come back again and see the Spa and function rooms once opened. Thank you all for making my friends and I feel so welcome.

Room Tip: If you can manage it - do book a seaview room - it's a glorious outlook.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank P1glet
Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on this site, we really appreciate the feedback and I know the team will be motivated by your praise. We are so pleased that your friends enjoyed themselves and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is going to be a spectacular hotel when it is completed. We stayed a week after it re-opened in late August 2013 with only 30 rooms available. The bedrooms are spacious enough with a very large and comfortable bed. The bathroom is roomy and well presented too. The complementary vats of both gin and sherry is a very unexpected and unique touch in my experience. The staff are very friendly and you feel like you are very important to them, however, there are a few niggles here and there which I put down to inefficiencies caused by the building works which were on going. Breakfast is very good and the restaurant will improve for the great view of the harbour once building is complete. Free drink on arrival is welcome and the bar area is sumptuously furnished. The pool and spa were not yet open but promise to be a great addition too. Salcombe itself is just wonderful.

Room Tip: Try to go for the full harbour view if your wallet can stand it.
2 Thank cliff b
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and I am really pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us, if you would like to let me know personally of the niggles that you encountered I would really appreciate the opportunity to address these points going forwards. Please email me on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. Again many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salcombe
South Sands Hotel
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
Royal Castle Hotel
Royal Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dartmouth

Been to Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!