“Perfect Break!”

Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Salcombe
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We booked a 2 night stay in the new year - and loved it so much we stayed another night. We had an inland view room as the estuary rooms were all booked but it was spacious, comfortable and beautifully presented. Lots of nice touches like the gin and sherry in the room (bring your own tonic!), coffee machine, crisp fresh linen and nice toiletries in the bathroom.

The staff were superb, couldn't have been more helpful, so polite and took the time to talk to you. The food was superb very night and breakfast was great too.

The hotel still has building works going on outside but it didn't in any way affect our stay. As the weather wasn't good not being able to sit out on the balcony wasn't an issue at all!

Hard to think of anything negative but if pushed I would say that the pillows were not the best, service at breakfast was a little slow, parking was limited but really only very minor issues and nothing that had any impact on our stay.

Thank you Salcombe Harbour Hotel for making our getaway extra special!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel here, we really appreciate the feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with and it really is testament indeed when a guest extends their stay with us. We very much hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We decided to stay here for two nights and made a last minute booking during the recent storms on one of the special offers. We knew we wouldn't be exactly sunbathing but realised according to the website, the hotel was somewhere you could gladly spend your time.
Well that's one of the biggest undersatatements I've wrote for a longtime. We were welcomed by the most warm and friendly staff and offered a complimentary drink whilst our vehicle was valet parked. Jo ( who is a perfect front of house) showed us round the cinema room, the saunas and pool and you could tell the staff were proud to be part of it. The rooms and amazing and you won't stay in a more comfortable bed, with little touches like the free gin and docking stations what make it.
At night our food was lovely and the menus different on both nights. Sam behind the bar is an expert in cocktail making and unfortunately an expert in making you stumble back to your cosy room! He was very welcoming at the bar and knew his stuff.
One night I woke early at 5am and went to the bar area to read a book. No one was awake apart from the night watchman. Even he was incredibly friendly and offered me cups of tea and orange juice whilst I read. Then the guy who parks the cars arrived at work at 6.30am, saw I was awake and offered to put a film on for me in the cinema as I couldn't sleep. Even though I rejected my own personalised cinema, that pretty much summed up the staff throughout, brilliant.
There is building work going on, but you've got to smash eggs if you want an omelette and so to be honest it's unfair to judge the hotel on this. The sausage we had for breakfast was a bit weak - but I really am struggling for something negative! A great stay thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words, I know the team here will be really motivated by your praise. We are genuinely very proud of the team we have here and they certainly go a long way to making our guests stay memorable. I thank you again and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This place has such fantastic potential. First visit for lunch was terrific. Amazing food, good pricing, lovely atmosphere, flawless service. In fact service was first class. Second trip - cracking time. Another lovely trip, cinema a treat, staff fantastic, food phenomenal. Spa day with friend - so close but yet so far somehow. I had a fantastic treatment but the pool was freezing and the pebble room not working, and builders walking up and down outside by the pool window spoiled the ambience. Friends treatment was spoiled by power cut and on asking they were 'ok' about knocking some money off but here's the thing - I shouldn't have had to have asked, twice - it was awkward and a bit uncomfortable. So the spa experience was £100 begrudgingly spent for me and a decent deal for my friend so that was good. Were going to book a few nights to have another go - undecided right now. Huge potential but doubtless some teething problems to eradicate first.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate all feedback. Whilst I am extremely pleased that your previous visits to the hotel were indeed very good but I am of course disappointed with the embarrassing situation in the Spa, I have discussed this with our Spa Manager and we are reviewing our systems in this new area of the hotel. With regards to the pool temperature, there have been a couple of "teething" problems in the Spa which have now been address and the Pebble Room will come online shortly. I sincerely hope that you do come to visit the hotel again in the future and if I can be of any further assistant please don't hesitate to contact me personally jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here early December when our original plans for the weekend fell through. Having stayed here before the recent refurbishment, the first thing you can say is the bedrooms have improved a great deal. One niggle was that the lighting controls in our room were a bit finicky, but one of the many nice touches was the rooms Nexus 7 tablet for checking out hotel info, or just browsing through the papers. The view from the balcony was as breathtaking as ever, the decking on the balcony does get kind of spongy, a floating feeling when you walk out on to it immediately after rain. This is because the rain from the roof drains directly onto the upper balconies and under the decking, you would guess this would have cost to much to redesign and remedy in the latest refurb.
The second thing to say, is the service was excellent throughout the hotel and the food in the hotel was first class, we would agree with a previous reviewer that the breakfast buffet table was a tad limited. The restaurant has lost a lot of its wow factor due to the prime waterfront development taking away its immediate shoreline view. We did also notice that the bottom 1 meter of glass to the restaurant windows was obscured, whether this was a temporary measure to screen the construction site, or a permanent one to give privacy to the new luxury development occupiers, I don't know. If it was the later it will take away any remaining wow factor of what was a truly lovely place to eat indoor, or alfresco with panoramic views of the estuary.
In summery the refurbishment is very good, but the new development has taken something away from the hotel, but I suppose one paid for the other.

Shaun & Diane

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words and it is always great to hear that our returning guests like what we have done with the hotel. The covering on the windows in the restaurant will indeed be removed as soon as the exterior works are complete and we are able to make use of the wonderful outside areas we will have available to us. I sincerely hope that we are able to welcome you back again very soon, since your visit the Spa is now open and I hope this is an area that you will enjoy as well.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Sunday lunch for three. We all voted this as the best Sunday lunch we had eaten in Devon. And we have regularly eaten in Salcombe and the surrounding Villages. Starters, two cauliflower and white onion soup with parsnips crisps ,and Brixham mussels and clams. roast beef and all the trimmings for the three of us. Ask for the beef to be rare it came nicely pink and very tasty which made up for the fact that it was bloody enough for my husband. I was unable to eat all of my four roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding. But only because the plate was so full of perfectly cooked carrots, broccoli, plus a side dish of red cabbage and purée swede. Our daughter seemed to find the pudding menu irresistible , and the chocolate fondant didn't disappoint, we all wanted a little taste but it was not on her plate for very long and I only got the left over strawberries .
I have visited the Harbour hotel several times over the last three months each time for something different supper for two, after tea with my daughter and now a family Sunday lunch. The harbour hotel is making small steps towards being a great hotel and restaurant something that has been missing in Salcombe. My daughter and I are planning our next visit and this will include a visit to the newly opened spa. If they could add a mother and daughter day to their list of treatment days this would go down brilliant.

Room Tip: This hotel is still a building site but well worth a visit
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Thank you for your kind words and I know that the team here will be motivated by your praise indeed. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again in the very near future. I will be discussing "Mother and Daughter Spa Days" with our Spa Manager very soon, so watch this space.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

No reading lamp in the bedroom or on the desk. Mirrors in the bathroom so far away very difficult to see to shave or make-up. No grab rail in the shower. Difficult tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Balcony awash and workmen a few feet below me waving to me on the balcony from an apartment on the hotel's building site. The hotel's sea frontage is been developed into apartment/town houses by the hotel owners.

The Jetty restaurant had no view, the curtains were closed the whole time so that the building works were obscured. We may as well have been in a dungeon. Not at all what we expected. The lighting in the evening was depressing. The atmosphere was dreadful with no Christmas spirit.

Christmas lunch was cold, the bread rolls so hard they would have blackened your eye if thrown. The set menu for the Christmas package was the same every night, the meat option was always turkey, the only meat option for Christmas lunch was, you have guessed it, turkey. A starter portion was reduced to a quarter of the night before. The included breakfast was a full English or continental (no continental meats or cheeses). Anything else you paid extra for despite guests paying between £1500 and £2000 for the four night stay.

Yes, there was gin in the bedroom, but one paid over the odds for a spit to drink it with.

I told the General Manager that there was no Christmas spirit and that they had been so keen to get the spa open they had forgotten about their guest.

Would we stay here again, ' NO'. Would we recommend it to others 'NO'. In the summer, it is difficult to know what outside space there is for guests as it would appear they have developed it all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SUSAN H

Thank you for your review, as I said to you when we spoke during your stay, we really do appreciate the feedback and I am so sorry we were not able to address many of the points you raised to me. I am of course more than happy to discuss this further should you so wish on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. Finally I hope that you will reconsider and visit the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel has the potential to be great but sadly is a long way from being so at this point in time. The staff are all very friendly and pleasant, if somewhat clueless in the running of the hotel and general hospitality.

We found the food in the Jetty restaurant to be distinctly average over our 3 night stay with vegetarian dishes tasting considerably better than the meat/fish alternative. The continental breakfast buffet was limited, though displayed nicely. Shame that the view from the dining room is obscured by curtains, as the location is great with beautiful views from the bedroom balconies.

Housekeeping was terrible with beds not made properly, dirty towels not removed and general dust in the bathroom. Beds are very comfortable and the decor throughout the hotel is lovely.

Small cinema room with daily screenings is a lovely touch but shame about the damp smell.

I would recommend waiting another 6 months for the hotel to find it's feet before booking in here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank caroline g

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and following on from our conversation at the end of your stay with us, your feedback is really important and I can assure you that many of the points mentioned have already been addressed and I thank you for bringing them to my personal attention. I sincerely hope that you do visit us again in the not too distant future in order for you to see first-hand the improvements made.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salcombe
South Sands Hotel
The Cottage Hotel
#1 of 4 in Hope Cove
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa

Been to Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!