Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Soar Mill Cove Hotel(Malborough)
View Hotel
The Cottage Hotel(Hope Cove)
  • Beachfront
Lantern Lodge(Hope Cove)
Thurlestone Hotel(Thurlestone)
Henley Hotel(Bigbury-on-Sea)
Hazelwood House(Loddiswell)
View Hotel
Burgh Island Hotel(Burgh Island)
1,248 results
All reviewsestuary viewcomplimentary gin and sherrylighting systemwelcome drinkon arrivalcinema roomwhite company toiletrieslovely hotellittle touchescar parksteam roomcrabcoffee machinestunning locationbeautiful roomout of seasonrelaxing stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This refurbished hotel is now everything we hoped it would be. We sadly could only stay one night as I had to attend a training course all weekend. Our stay was Thursday 20th March during which the builders were starting to clear all their stuff from the car park - but we should look beyond temporary disruption. On arrival, a member of staff showed us around the hotel including the pool & spa, we then sat in the beautifully furnished lounge & were given complimentary drinks. The views of the Salcombe estuary from our room & balcony were fabulous. Our room was very comfortable & well equipped including complimentary decanters of gin & sherry & a tablet for access to free wi-fi. The service & food in the restaurant were superb, all staff in the hotel friendly & helpful. Hotels of this standard never come cheap but it's hard to see how anyone could be disappointed with their stay.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for estuary views & balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim G
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words, we really do appreciate the feedback. We very much hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

A fantastic location well appointed bedroom and bathroom with wonderful views. Front of house staff helpful and cheerful but housekeeping staff do let the side down, waste paper bins not emptied, bathroom floor not swept, bath not properly cleaned, and although the beds I'm sure are comfy as singles, but as a double the ridge and furrow between the mattresses was uncomfortable, it wasn't until we were leaving I discovered they should have been zipped together. I realise there is a lot of building work going on but the windows could have done with a clean both inside and out. As for the restaurant the breakfast choice was good but the quality of the bacon and sausage was very disappointing. We had dinner in the restaurant, the starters were delicious but the main course we felt were not of the standard we would have expected especially having read other reviews. If you are staying and want a particular table in the restaurant or treatments in the Spa I suggest you book ahead as I was unable to chose a table or have a spa treatment. Overall we had a good weekend but just a little disappointed as we didn't feel it was value for money, with a little thought and effort the hotel could be outstanding.

Room Tip: Top floor with sea views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, we very much welcome all feedback and I am so sorry that your experience was not what you had expected. I have discussed your feedback at great length with the Head Housekeeper and Restaurant team and we have addressed the issues you have raised, although you should not have needed to raise them. We sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the not too distant future in order to see the improvements made first-hand.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I can understand the great reviews below. The location and views are superb and the money spent is clear to see.
The valet parking is essential as the car park by the hotel is tight. It was a pity we had the share the ambiance with the crew installing the turntable to enable your car to turn around in front of the hotel!!
Room quirky - can get locked in the shower and cistern didn't cut off but more a giggle than an inconvenience.
The staff are generally brilliant, pleasant, helpful and well trained.
The restaurant is the weak link.
We eventually get served at the bar when the staff have finished flirting with each other. Not a great start but when only two of the four main courses arrive, a 5 minute wait, the look of panic on a passing waitresses face, a sprint to the kitchen and then profuse apologies from the waitress (not her fault!) - you realise this is not the quality of service you expect. Eventually the four meals arrive together (two re cooked) but the old adage - "you only get one chance to make a first impression" has kicked in.
That said it was beautifully cooked!!
No management intervention - we obviously looked too grumpy to go near.....but an apology would have helped
We just gave up waiting for our sweet order to be taken - we sensed a reluctance to be involved with the unfolding disaster. You would have expected some effort to get it right??
We were offered a discount which helped a little but did not make up for what we were hoping would be a special evening - so disappointing.
They were not busy, they had the staff who were generally working hard - how can it go so wrong.
We heard other profuse apologies around us - it was scant consolation it was not just us???
Spa looks brilliant - will be tried out tomorrow.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MickDWinchesterUK

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am so sorry that your experience was far from acceptable, I am particularly disappointed that no-one came across from a senior capacity to address the issues you encountered. We have recently had a change in terms of the Management in our Food and Beverage department in order to address these issues going forwards. I sincerely hope that you will visit the hotel again in the future in order to see first-hand the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I visited on the 17th and 18th March to de-stress and unwind and that's exactly what we did. Arriving at 11.00 am we got one of the last parking spaces before work started in earnest on a revolving turntable for cars! This was right outside the front door of the hotel and was somewhat noisy but it is meant to be completed by the end of this week so this shouldn't effect anyone who stays later in the year. There are probably only about 10-15 parking spaces so for a 50 bed hotel, I assume they have plans to park people elsewhere but Salcombe is limited in that respect.
Once inside the hotel, it is idyllic. It has only recently opened after a huge re-vamp and everything is new and lovely. Our room was on the top floor with a balcony looking out onto the estuary, absolutely gorgeous. We were lucky with the weather (in March would you believe) and were able to sleep with the balcony doors open and be woken by the seagulls!
We had a lunch, dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant (called The Jetty) and were treated to beautifully cooked food but my particular favourite was the rare beef salad that was a starter. The beef was the 'melt in your mouth' kind! The only disappointment was the full English breakfast with an egg, two rashers of bacon, a sausage (quite processed) half a spoon of beans, half a tomato and half a mushroom. Not a whole tomato or a whole mushroom and no black pudding - but plenty of toast, coffee etc.
The staff at the hotel are young, enthusiastic and try to make everything perfect for every guest and on the whole they achieve this, particularly Emma and Jodie who work in the spa and gave the most relaxing and tension relieving 'hot stone' back and shoulder massage and Indian head massage. I would certainly like to return again but probably 'out of season' when the holiday-makers have gone as Salcombe is a lovely 'up-market' coastal town but with 80% of the properties being holiday homes, be prepared for crowds in peak season!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us; we have addressed the issues with breakfast and I thank you for mentioning them. The car turntable is indeed all in and operational now, certainly a feature as you arrive at the hotel. We very much hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I honestly cant gush enough bout this hotel and service that we received from the minute we stepped foot in to the lobby, literally nothing was too much trouble, including not even being allowed to carry my luggage to the hotel from the car! Our room wasn't ready as we were early luggage was taken and was awaiting our arrival when we were able to check in, upon the luggage being taken from the car we were taken in to the restaurant to have a welcome glass of fizz on the sun terrace.
the check in was flawless when we arrived back to the hotel after a look around we were taken to the room shown how to use the lights as they are not your normal light switches!!
the room was stunning, view to die for (although we were spoiled with usually good weather for first week in march!) and the binoculars are a lovely touch. as was the complimentary sherry and gin!!
after a visit to the spa there was a knock on the door and as a birthday treat the staff had bought me more fizz and some gorgeous little cakes, really made my day to be this thoughtful.
The cocktails in the bar were extensive and was told if I couldn't find anything I fancied the cocktail bar would make something up specially for my taste!.
the food in the jetty was some of the best I have ever eaten, I have never not wanted to finish my dinner and mouthfuls of the Fillet beef were getting smaller to make it last longer!
cocktails were recommended with every course which I found very helpful and a lot of thought had gone in to this.
The waiters were attentive, topping up wine before glass was empty and seemed very concerned about you having the best experience that they could provide.
the continental breakfast was displayed well and had a good choice of croissants etc, the full English was lovely, only down side was that the milk for coffee and butter were forgotten and we had to ask twice, but that is only fault I can really say we experienced, otherwise was a lovely relaxed breakfast, with you not being rushed out which I have experienced at hotels before.
I am looking forward to visiting again, truly stunning place with exceptional service, it was such a pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us; we very much hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.